Ground coffee from supermarket - lack of info on packaging

They are the US gold standard in most parts of that country. From my last US trip a Maccas was convenient in a rush and my comment on their ‘coffee’ was to be polite, gaggable.

2 Likes

Hi mark_m - yes, it may well be that some people like bitter coffee. People who get formal barista training in Australia (VET accreditation) no doubt have an Aussie focus. In Aus we prefer Arabica beans. Indeed it’s estimated that 75% of the world’s coffee is Arabica. Its one drawback is that it suffers from coffee blight. This is the original Ethiopian cultivated coffee. The other major type is Robusta. It is more bitter, stronger, has a higher caffeine, and more resistent to environmental factors and disease. So, in trying to ascertain how people drink their coffee, you need to start with the bean they use.

As to who sets the norm - well, I think the Italians believe they do. I never had a bad coffee in Italy, and Italian run cafes and restaurants back home seem pretty consistent. And, ‘yes’ I believe McDonalds have had to ‘learn’ to shift their way of making coffee. I’ve had American coffee - hmm … next please! But if that’s what the nation wants then it’s hard to complain. For me, and my responses to people about how to choose beans, how to overcome the perceived ‘poor cousin’ label of decaf, how to avoid bitterness, etc, it’s about suggesting ways in which poeple with even the most basic equipment, can still get an acceptable cup of coffee. The wine people say, “Life’s too short to drink lousy wine.” It also applies to coffee. Hope that helps

2 Likes