Grocers and Biodegradable bags!

Yes, I’ve been known to wash & re-use those bags too!

These recycling bins are only at selected stores though, be nice if they were at all stores!

2 Likes

It’s a worry though if they use palm oil to make them.

1 Like

Rather than start a new thread, I am resurrecting this old thread and updated the title to be more generic than the original that focused on IGA. I was recently introduced to cassava base plastic bags. I am not an expert so there could be + / - education about the reality but here goes. There is an earlier post referencing alternative bags as ‘greenwash’ and enumerated reasons for that statement, including linking a 2009 Guardian item, but cassava bags seem to be an evolution as well as a significant improvement over the status quo and appear to have started coming into their own mid-this decade.

From a corporate web site (OK, these are what they are, but):
100% made from renewable bio-based, not oil
Compostable and biodegradable
Safe to consume for land and marine animals
Can be recycled along with paper
Customizable shape and design
Can be dissolved in a matter of less than 150 days when discarded in bodies of water.

It appears if the manufacturers’ claims stand scrutiny this time, one use plastics based bags could be legislatively ‘retired’ except for the economic and political power of vested interests. There are a number of companies that can be found by googling ‘cassava bags’.

Has their time arrived or are these products over-hyped?

2 Likes

Woollies goes back to the future?

Just like in the old days before single use plastic shopping bags except they are no longer free.

When I took the photo at our local Woollies, the young employee on duty told me that they are currently made in China, but because thay have been in such high demand, Woollies have organised for a factory in SA to produce them.

Who would have thought that Australia can still make such a high tech product?

1 Like

Brown paper bags to carry your goodies home in.
A benefit long denied the average consumer, and just not for our leadership? :grin:

P.S.
It would be useful to be able to compare them with the original used wide.y by BCC, GJ Coles etc from the 1960’s.

When I bought some behind-the counter items at our local Chemist Warehouse today, the cashier placed them in a small paper bag.

The rear of the bag displays “Made & Printed in Australia”.

MAGA? Make Australia Great Again"?

Aussie. Aussie, Aussie.

1 Like