Grilo cricket energy bar review

What do you think about insects as a source of food? Some of our staff tried these Grilo cricket energy bars on for size, see what they had to say:

2 Likes

Did Jason and Meg draw the short straws?

1 Like

:laughing: I was a bit bug-eyed about it all but they seemed merry as a cricket.

3 Likes

I wonder if Choice realises that the two crickets on the video image are copulating?

I would have no issue with eating insect based foods, as any vegetable and fruit (and even meat) eater already eats insects as ‘collateral damage’ from their consumption. It is not possible to guarantee any food stuff is free of insects, insect parts or other biological agents (those which are not directly part of the food being eaten).

The difficulty is getting over the brains reaction to consuming such foods…which is a psychological disposition rather than food taste or quality. If one didn’t know what was in the food, the eating experience may be very different.

When we lived in China, in the heavily tourist areas there were often street vendors selling interesting foods…including crickets on skewers. This website shows some examples in Beijing…

4 Likes

I’ll have to pass that question on, but now that you mention it, it does seem quite obvious!

2 Likes

It is good to have an expert at hand, with an eye for such detail. :rofl:

4 Likes

Copulating crickets… well didn’t expect that on my Monday :joy:

2 Likes

“These cricket bars look and taste very similar to other protein bars, which isn’t surprising given they’re also made of nuts, dates and seeds.”

“That’s just not cricket.”

2 Likes

Is this what the future holds for us to manage food shortages? :thinking:

BTW Grillo (spelled with a double l) is the Italian word for cricket.

3 Likes

Nah, he’s just checking the back of her neck for sunburn.

3 Likes

Looks like it may be a bumper season this year.

“It’s just not cricket.”

1 Like