Govt to introduce legislation for broadband tax

From the EM:

A designated broadband service is a carriage service provided over a fixed-line that is technically capable of providing download transmission speeds of 25 megabits per second (Mbps) or more.

That’s me off the hook then. LOL

(It is unclear how this is really measured or whether it will be revised if future improvements to technology rendered previously untaxed lines taxed.)

It is intended that the charge would apply to all premises serviced by fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP), fibre-to-the-node (FTTN), fibre-to-the-basement (FTTB), fibre-to-the-curb (FTTC) and hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC).

2 Likes

The RBS Tax has been raised in several posts on this site:

3 Likes

IT News refers to “super fast” broadband services?

“[The bill] would impose from the first July after passage a monthly charge on carriers in relation to each premises connected to their network that has an active fixed line superfast broadband during the month,” he said.

Has IT News stuffed up?
An assumption is 12Mbps fixed line services, common to many older pensioners who just wanted a phone will not be taxed.
Also the same for our Urban Brisbane HFC service which runs at 12-1Mbps?

I thought it was all NBN fixed line customers.

I’ll leave any discussion of what ‘super fast’ should be or means to others.

1 Like

I recommend using the Explanatory Memorandum for the bill (quoted above) rather than a media article.

“superfast” (for what it’s worth) means “>= 25 Mbps”.

It is about capability though, not service. So if you have a technology that is capable of exceeding 25 Mbps but the service is an el cheapo one running at 12 Mbps then you will still be taxed.

So as it stands today, ADSL will not be taxed but the technologies that I quoted above will always be taxed even if used only with an el cheapo service.

4 Likes

The “out” that our internet is not capable of exceeding that speed applies to many us still connected via crappy copper out in our street (and the next street 'cos the node is quite a way away)

2 Likes

If you are on a 25/5 plan the Tax will be levied even if you only get 15-20 Mbps down. They basically don’t care how far the node is away from you, if you purchase a 12/1 nbn™ plan you will avoid the Tax. Anything else on a nbn™ connection and the tax will be levied.

2 Likes