Google Pixel 3 - continue to be sold in Australia, despite widespread call problems

I created a topic over here - https://choice.community/t/google-pixel-3-continue-to-be-sold-in-australia-despite-widespread-call-problems/17516/11 - about the Pixel 3 not being able to properly handle phone calls, yet Google continue to actively market and sell the phone via multiple channels in Australia.

It is a widely reported issue, and seems to impact most (probably all to some degree) customers, but they may not be completely aware of it because it generally only affects the person on the other end.

My wife has a Pixel 3, so I know what it’s like being on the receiving end and not being able to understand what she’s saying when I only get every 3rd word and a bunch of static noise instead.

The main issue is not with the fault itself, because practically all devices have faults, but the problem is with the way that Google has handled the issue… Which is not at all. They replace devices with equally faulty devices and there are reports of them refusing to refund their customers (but will do the aforementioned device swap, which doesn’t resolve the problem).

They do not provide a proper complaints process, so you can only deal with their offshore helpdesk and their floor supervisors, but not with Google management, and their official channel for reporting technical issues (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/124412355) has gone unanswered for months - literally completely ignored despite the repeated pleas from people to provide a resolution or at least an update.

I have reported to the ACCC and QLD Office of Fair Trading. They both referred me to each other, and the QLD Office of Fair Trading sent Google an email telling me that if they don’t reply to the email then there’s nothing more they can do.

Contacting Google’s managing director for Australia via LinkedIn also resulted in zero response, so I feel as though some sort of consumer action is required to hold them accountable - it’s eerily similar to Apple’s “grip of death” with their early iPhone model, but at least they responded… Unlike Google who seem to think the rules don’t apply to them.

4 Likes