Giving Away Your Personal Details

Airsie,
When I read your comments, I attempted to contact David Koch to register my complaint, only to find that the avenues to do so request a similar list of personal details, and have a similar list of uses to which those personal details may be put!! Once a businessman…

1 Like

I’m with you, especially with Identity Theft so rife. I was not aware of this until I read your comments. Do you think asking Kochie the question might shed some light on the concerns surrounding this issue. Just an idea.

1 Like

If you have applied for a bank account, a mobile phone, or used a real estate then you have given Veda your information. You aren’t reading the fine print. I often say that it’s the best business model I have ever seen. People give their information and then they and everyone else pays Veda to get it back. The govt made Veda give you one free copy of your own information. It’s a bit too late to complain about it as it has been around for a long time, it was Baycorp previously, and it already has your info. I worked on the 30 sec online verification system so I understand their data collection. Everybody is selling your info including births, deaths, and marriages, most state licensing systems except SA, electoral roll. Too late to whinge really. You are not flying under the radar.

1 Like

This is where we the ‘Buyers’ have to BEWARE! Once u release any information via technology - it’s out of anyone’s control & in the public arena - nothing can stop it. The only time we can report an issue of Identity Theft is when we take very good care of our own information & it then still gets hacked.

Yes I was suckered in giving all my personal details to what I thought was Dyson, of which I am a member. Next thing I am bombarded with emails for months with no ability in some case to unsubscribe, very annoying . I now look at the email address of all emails, Beware .

2 Likes

I recently had a check performed for me by Veda, which was absolutely useless!
They called me a couple of times to tell me that the Free report did not include my credit score and I could buy it for some ridiculous amount (for a once-off report). I recall that receiving your own score was free some years ago, as it should be. The report I received was useless. As we are paying for these credit reporting agencies via the services we consume, such as utilities, credit, etc, we should be able to see exactly what the lenders see.

2 Likes

Granted.
However, they are obviously working with Experian exclusively.

It just shows that credit scores can be just as untrustworthy as the reporting agencies themselves.

If analysis of your credit worthiness is not the same across all providers, you are not comparing apples with apples. If a credit provider assesses you, which one is to be taken seriosuly? Aveda or Experian.

The notion of credit scores seems more of a scam than a service in the setting I have experienced so far.

2 Likes

Last week, The Privacy Commissioner ordered credit agency Veda to provide refunds to thousands of consumers who were charged for a copy of their credit report. In particular, the PVC determined:

• Veda used people’s personal information for direct marketing
  • Failed to make it clear that free reports are available
  • Wrongfully charged for expedited delivery

While this doesn’t address all the issues with obtaining credit reports, hopefully this will lead to some improvements for consumers. For more, read the CHOICE guide to credit reports.

5 Likes

Have you considered nominating Veda for a Shonky in the next round?

6 Likes

Yes - excellent suggestion, but be mindful that they have got some very serious competition from many other company’s, and that the number of awards are limited.

3 Likes

I keep getting emails from Dyson offering me a free trial of their vacuum. The email states I can keep the product free of charge for trialling. I’m not game to open the links in case it’s a phishing scam.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of this one before and I think your instincts were correct - likely a scam.

5 Likes

Equifax (formerly Veda) now in hot water after the ACCC alleges that “from June 2013 to March 2017, Equifax made a range of false or misleading representations to consumers, including that its paid credit reports were more comprehensive than the free reports, when they were not.”

7 Likes

Questionable practices and difficult to deal with is only the start. If you never have to deal with these people and negotiate the web of erroneous information they seem to collect and try to correct that you are lucky! spare a thought for those of us who regularly have to get their reports to remain employed … no choice but to dive into their pool of strife …

4 Likes