Ghost bills, fines and applications - best to ignore them?

Say you receive a fine in the mail, with your name and details, but clearly it’s an error. Perhaps you receive a notice of an application for a new credit card or bank account, but you haven’t applied for any of them.

What’s the best way to deal with this situation - ignore it wait for it to blow over, or is there other steps you should take?

Share your advice below and enter our Mythdefied competition including the chance to win one of five vouchers.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t ignore any of them.

If it is a fine for example, I would contact the relevant jurisdiction and find out whether the fine is illegimate/if they actually issued the fine. I would use whitepage/contact detauls on their website rather than relying on the contact details on the fine notice. It is possible if they did not issue it and it could be a scam. If they did issue it and say it was not in err, I woukd ask for the process to dispute the fine indicating that it has been issued as an error. I would then follow this process, including reviews etc, in relation to the fine.

If the fine is from parking on private property, I would contact the issuing party like above. If the fine is legimate (not a scam) I would also contact my local consumer affairs department to determine what are the ramifications if I don’t pay the fine and whether it is legal. I would also contest the fine if I was required to pay and it had been n issued to me in err.

For credit cards/bank account, i would contact the issuing institution using contact details in whitepages/on their website to determine if it is legimate and whether it has been issued in err. If it is in err, I would destroy the card and advise the issuing institution that this is the course of action I would take. If the institution is adamant that the card has been applied for in my name, I would also advise the new credit card/bank account has not been requested and suggest that they assume it has resulted from identity theft. I would also contact the police as fraud may have been committed (identity theft).

I would slso try and find some expert advice on how to manage the identity theft and what needs to be done to protect myself from future events.

If it is a fake card, like this one…

I would also destroy the card and definitely would not be sucked into paying any money.

All scams I would report to Scamwatch and the relevant institution subject of the scam.

5 Likes