Gerry Harvey wins, but still complains! Major loss of competition

Perhaps EBay can help?

We don’t know mostly what is and is not needed. Keeping the consumer ignorant would seem to be critical to maintaining the status quo here.

Perhaps for white goods there is scope for compliance agents that for a small and reasonable fee will tick of any large value imports and give you a sticker?

For motor vehicles inported secondhand to Australia there are a number of businesses that do so. Including modifications as needed. Why? Despite many of the imports being made by Toyota etc in Japan or other notable rhd makes, the Australian automotive ADR’s are not exactly the same. It is more than not having an Australian compliance plate. Side intrusion protection requirements until recently have been different here, and we use a different child/baby capsule anchor design.

Of course the Australian Motor Vehicle Industry has lobbied to limit such imports to a limited range of models not sold by them in Australia. With the death of our local industry will this also be relaxed for new imports or will we still pay an Australia only premium for new cars?

4 Likes

Darn. I didnt realise PriceUSA had closed. Don’t blame them though. I bought through them a couple of times many years ago and Carolina was a really decent individual, great to deal with.

1 Like

Love the new Harvey Norman slogan in their TV ads, “We’re here for you”, but it seems to need some extra words added to it such as:

“We’re here for you and your money.”

“We’re here for you until the sale is finalised”.

“We’re here for you until you need service”.

“We’re here for you until you have a problem”.

4 Likes

I agree. The crap that comes out of Gerry Harvey’s mouth about unfair business practices makes me sick. Did he care about the small family run businesses he forced to the wall as his empire grew? No, not a word then so he can just shut up about “foreign businesses” Either he can compete or close his doors. I have found that if I take a printed offer from an overseas website his staff match it so he obviously has a sufficient profit margin to do this.

4 Likes