CHOICE membership

Garden hoses

I required some new garden hose recently after having some problems with exisiting hoses when I was pressure washing. As I looked for new hose in Bunnings I almost thought I was in a comedy sketch. There were hoses guaranteed for 5 years, 8 years, 10 years. Exactly the same ones that I was having difficulty with. I had not tagged my old hoses with date of purchase but I knew that the ones that were failing were often less than 3 years old.

It seems the newer houses were thinner in the walls, making reliable attachment of connectors a problem. We have fairly strong water pressure so connectors and hose reliability are critically important. The hose bursting off connectors can be problem but the one that really cheeses me off is splits in the hose. When I finish a job the taps are turned off and the hoses emptied but during a job I may leave the taps on while I take a break and then sometimes hear the sound of running water due to a connector disconnecting or a split in the hose.

To ensure I can track hoses that are failing their warranties in future the sales docket is scanned and labelled with the brand and model of hose. I wrap the end near the tap of the hose with different coloured plastic tape eg: red/yellow/black to identify each hose with something waterproof. This is photographed and connected to the other data which gives me the date of purchase and a scan of the warranty. Takes about 15 minutes but I think it will be worth it. Has anyone had similar problems with thinner hoses splitting and popping off the connectors?

I am absolutely certain companies rely on people losing receipts, and for that reason give outrageous warranties while making their product cheaper and nastier - - bit of a conspiracy theory I know…

If I think I might need it again I scan my receipts with my smartphone using an app and it lets me then post the PDF or JPG straight to my Google drive.

We have found that hoses we have bought (cheapies to more known and more expensive brands) seem to perform similar when new, but the some tend to deteriorate more quickly if left exposed to the elements (maybe don’t have UV stabisiler or same plasticisers added).

Easily solution is to place the hose after use out of direct sunlight/so it isn’t exposed to the elements.

In the past, we had some issues with splitting of what were cheap hoses, but thankfully, since retiring them we haven’t had a similar issue for the past 10 years or so.

These days, the most annoying issue is with kinking. We use mostly tank water for our garden, and our pump does not have a pressure switch. We turn the pump on when we want to water, and turn it off when we’re done. Even though the hose we use was labelled kink-resistant, it kinks very easily, restricting the flow to almost nil, and threatening damage to our pump.

I have a kink-resistant hose that is all but impossible to kink. It is also near impossible to easily roll up to hang again because it will only roll in one direction. During use that one direction gets violated many times over so hanging it is almost as irritating as having kinks.

What advantage you get in the left hand is often taken from the right :wink:

Kinking is certainly a problem with many hoses. I have compared the wall thickness with hoses I used to use with some of the newer hoses and the newer ones all seem much thinner which creates the problems of both kinking and splitting. (No problems with tank pressure but we seem to be at the top end of residential pressure in Coffs Harbour.)

Ah ! That’s an important point that I should have mentioned. The hose is on a reel. As you have pointed out, a more kink-resistant hose might make rewinding a real chore.

I’m sick of finding hoses that are no good. Has anyone used the Hose Link range? They are expensive but if they are as good as they say they are made out to be might be worth it.

hey Jennika
I’ve been using hoselink now for over 1 year. 1 at the front 25m and 1 at the rear 15m
they were expensive but I think that they are excellent quality and I am very happy with them.
I would buy again when they eventually expire!

Had my two HoseLink over 3 years, and would also buy again. Wait for the specials, they have one on now.

These days you get what you pay for, well most of the time. I purchased a hose from HOSELINK about 6 years ago, which I still have and it is still in perfect nick even though its been in the sun most of it’s life. And I only use their fittings which are simply the best. (No, I don’t work for hoselink) but their product is 1st class. They do cost a bit more but you DO get what you pay for.

Yes I use their product and have been for at least 6 years. Don’t bother going anywhere else. You won’t be disapointed.
And if you have high pressure problems, get their fitting as well. Also the after sales service is excellent.

Thank you all. Now the decision is do I get the white one or the green?

I would tend toward the white one. White generally reflects more light (esp. infrared) where as green is more likely to absorb. The more light absorbed, potentially the quicker the hose will harden/age. This assumes that both have the same composition…just different colour.

Thanks, didn’t think of that.

I buy all Hoselink products. They might be dearer but excellent quality … dont burst off or leak. Their hosereels work well too. 10 yr guarantee Aussie company. Check them out online. I’ve totally given up on other gardening products.

The hose warranty may be longer than the connectors which only last a couple of years before they fail if plastic or twice that if brass. Most hoses will fail after five years due to abuse like running over with the car etc. unless they retract into a covered carrier protected from UV rays. Regarding using a hose with a pressure unit, the hose should not pressurise as it is on the supply side of the unit. If it is under pressure then the gerni or whatever is faulty as pressurising a garden hose is actually quite dangerous. Suggest you get the pressure washer checked over before bits of your garden hose become UFO’s.

No, the pressure unit has nothing to do with the hose pressure. I’m sure a normal hose would be blown to bits by a pressure unit. We came here from a country town which had fairly low water pressure. I could not believe the pressure from a normal tap. I watched a neighbour clean his eaves and thought he was using a pressure unit but it was just straight water pressure out of the tap. This extra water pressure I’m sure shortens the life of the hoses but it just seemed to me that the splits seemed to be happening for more often than a few years ago when hoses were thicker.

No problems with splitting. In relation to popping off the connectors, I have found that the brass connectors are much better at holding onto the hoses. Sometimes the hoses come with plastic fittings. If they are the thin plastic varieties I replace them with brass immediately. If they are the thicker name brand ones, they can last quite a long time and do seem to grip pretty well, but not as well as the brass.

My most common point of failure is the female connector end, where the plastic teeth inside perish and snap. Also, the o-rings need to be checked and replaced on the male end as they can thin out considerably.