Garden hoses and fittings

We bought a retractable Hoselink hose, hose reel cover and various fittings. Loving it.

3 Likes

I assume youā€™re referring to Hozelock which have pretty ordinary reviews.

This shouldnā€™t be confused with Hoselink who are a completely separate Australian owned company which in my experience have excellent products and outstanding service.

I have a 30m Hoselink reel, several stand alone Hoselink hoses all with corresponding Hoselink fittings and nozzles. Everything is over 7 years old and all except the reel spends its life in full sun. Bar some colour fading of the tap fittings, I have had no problems as yet and would absolutely recommend.

6 Likes

Ah nopeā€¦ Dale your assumption is incorrectā€¦ LOL But I can see why you might think I meant Hozelock as I wrongly spelt Hoselink with an Z. We did a lot of research before we purchased and there were some negative reviews but overall Hoselink seemed to be the best option. The connections donā€™t leak but the retractors are frustratingā€¦ particularly the long reel. All the nozzles have died. The reels are around 5 years old, so not sure if they changed their place of manufacture. Unfortunately unlike you I could not recommendā€¦ Iā€™m just disappointed that I convinced my daughter to spend extra to get Hoselink. I hope yours continue to work.

1 Like

Have you sought any support and possibly compensation from Hoselink? I think by the way they promote their product you would expect them to be very concerned to provide solutions and support. I also strongly suspect you would also have a good solid case for that under Australian Consumer Law based on their ā€œpremium productā€ type advertising.

4 Likes

Hoselink hoses pay for themselves as mine are approximately 5 years old and the connectors are easy to use and very strong.

2 Likes

Thats a good point graholl however because itā€™s over 5 years I suspect it wouldnā€™t be worth the effort. The retractor has since died completely and wonā€™t retract at all, so looks like we will be replacing the whole unit. My husband may make one final call to Hoselink to see if they have any suggestions.

2 Likes

The Hoselink warranty on th eretractor reel is only 2 years which is the same as the 2 Pope units we have.

2 Likes

I made the point a while back that for the cost of Hoselink I could buy 2 or more of the Pope units. If it goes wrong within the warranty you just take it back to Bunnings. We used Pope in our previous house and never had an issue with them. On a positive note Hoselink responded quite quickly to my husbands call with instructions on resetting the timing beltā€¦ It didnā€™t work, but we are hopeful they have another solution.

3 Likes

Update @grahroll and @Fred123 Fred123 Hoselink are sending out a new cogā€¦ Their customer service so far has been pleasant, and I didnā€™t have to find the Invoice as they just looked it upā€¦ :)) We live in hope.

8 Likes

But they may not expire. Iā€™ve had mine for around 15 years (guessing, its been too long to remember) and they are as good as new

1 Like

Nice one @kathy2, glad you received some good service :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After many failed hoses I tried a Hoselink retractable hose. While it hasnā€™t leaked yet (big plus), there are some significant downsides:

1. The hose is heavy to pull out, Iā€™m fit but have to really put my weight into pulling it out to full length. Not something Iā€™d recommend to anyone not physically fit.
  2. The fittings are not compatible with other hoses, which means all my previous hose accessories are no longer usable.
  3. I paid extra for a swivel attachment to stop the hose twisting, however itā€™s so stiff we need to manually turn it. It would have been just as easy to manually turn the hose end.
  4. Because their is no physical store, returns are costly.

Would I buy them again? Probably not. Hope to hear otherā€™s recommendations for different brands so Iā€™m ready next time around.

3 Likes

I buy hoses from Bunnings, probably in the mid - higher qual range 10yr type stuff. Write on cardboard which location hose is installed (all spots have reels) and place the cardboard with photocopy of docket in filing cabinet. When it fails after 3 to 5 years I take it back and Bunnings happily replace it.

2 Likes

BrendanMays Just a quick final update on Hoselinkā€¦ They mailed a new cog to us along with instructions on realigning the hose. It is now working properly! Touch woodā€¦ LOL Have to say their customer service and prompt attention to this has renewed my faith in their product. Even though our hoses are 7 years old they accessed our details without trying to give us the runaround like some companies would do.

7 Likes

Dont know about you, but I have a hoselink supplied gadget that lets me use a sprinkler which isnt hoselink. Do make enquiries, they have solutions for nearly everything.

4 Likes

We often find that one brand of fitting does not necessarily be fully functional with other brandsā€¦resulting in the fitting blasting apart under pressure or water leaking from the join.

To get around this, we usually try and install the same brand fittings (male and female parts) at the same end of the hose being used.

1 Like

Clearly, but that is not always possible.

2 Likes

I have a big garden with a number of hoses. We have very strong water pressure which tends to destroy hoses fairly quickly. When I buy a new hose now I use electrical tape at each end of the hose, using different colours to identify each hose - say red, yellow, green. This combination is noted on my computer along with a scan of the docket and warranty. This makes it very easy to identify the hose and whether it is still under warranty. Since I donā€™t use retractable hoses they can be shifted around so it is important to be able to identify them.

2 Likes

While not a hose, we had a reasonably new mixer tap that sprung a leak due to a faulty ceramic cartridge. We contacted the supplier (Tradelinik) who sent out a plumber to change the cartridge under warranty. The plumber changed the cartridge and then tested the water pressure at our house and said that if it exceeded 500kpa that the fault would not be covered by warranty as it was the water pressure which could have caused the problem. He said that the product was only rated up to 500kpaā€¦ fortunately our pressure was under but something I was not aware of.

He also indicated that there are pressure reducing values which can be installed to reduce water pressure where water pressure is high. Maybe worth considering if the pressure is causing hose failures.

1 Like

the inlet to my hot water system has a pressure relief valve as standard