Game Changing Innovations That Were Savagely Mocked

A very interesting slideshow of inventions used by consumers today which their short sighted critics dismissed outright.

3 Likes

The take out message: predicting the future is hard.

The article doesn’t talk at all about the inventions or innovations that really were epic fail.

Given the current circumstances, I couldn’t go past the following:

The press also poured scorn on Jenner, as you can see from this satirical cartoon by James Gillray which shows vaccinated individuals growing grotesque cow heads. Thankfully the disdain for Jenner’s discovery dissipated and vaccination eventually become commonplace.

2 Likes

There are naysayers for every new invention. I’m not sure the linked list is any different (and it makes claims on behalf of some people such as Edison that ignore the huge efforts of others that culminated in their ‘inventions’).

It’s much more attractive to story tellers to lionize the individual than to understand and explain the movements that made their effort possible. As well as being easier it sells more stories.

1 Like

Given the focus of the article, it really doesn’t matter which specific individuals can lay claim to the invention. The key criterion is that the invention must be “game changing” and “savagely mocked” (or such other paraphrases as you prefer).

1 Like

If you click through the 31 slides, perhaps some of us will be more knowledgeable on the history of certain inventions.

And some of us might be the poorer for having paid attention to the adds accompanying the content.

Either way someone comes out a winner. :wink:

2 Likes

By making it full screen, there is only a single small ad in the top right corner for each slide.

1 Like

Or you could use an ad-blocker.

1 Like

If we all used an add blocker would the content referred to cease to exist?

Should all web browsers be required to block adds by default, giving the consumer the power to opt in?

3 Likes

OT but a many pages do not work if there is an add blocker; it is not a blocked page it is one where the ad blockers often inhibit the presentation itself while allowing the template to be presented. When I encounter one I move on - not worth the aggro since it is most often click bait anyway.

4 Likes

:+1:

Since browsers have been incorporating ad blockers as basic features of late, and ad blocking extensions have been around for a few years, the answer seems apparent. Rather than extinction they find new ever more clever ways to irritate us with ads and increasingly click bait that might be entertaining that masquerades as an ad to get us to turn off the blocker to see the bait, and thus the ads.

3 Likes

There are quite a lot of sites that insist I either turn off my ad blocker or log in. No website is unique, and so I go elsewhere.

3 Likes