Fruit labels. Why are they not biodegradable

There has been no comment on this forum since December. I would like to see Choice take up a campaign to phase in biodegradable fruit labels. I understand the need for them, particularly by the large chains for both identification at the checkout (both variety and pricing) but more importantly about traceability and food safety. As has been said previously they are a major pollutant to the environment including the ocean. I have found them intact in my garden despite many months of composting. They pass straight through the body if accidentally consumed so end up as added pollutant to sewage treatment works - requiring disposal in landfill. And what is the outcome when consumed by sea life? As consumers we are powerless to pressure industry to make the change.

6 Likes

If the authorities cared about the environment there would be degradable labels by now.
I am still finding them in my garden having passed thru the compost bin and having been in the garden soil for at least four years.
The supermarkets should show responsibility by telling the suppliers that the will no longer accept non bio degradable label on fruit.
Choice could be more active in this regard.

7 Likes

Thanks @greglamont and @peter13, glad to see some passion around this issue. While we have a limited number of resources, weā€™re always listening to what matters to consumers. I know that our campaigns team also cares a lot about this issue, and Iā€™ll be sure to forward your feedback too.

3 Likes

This is not new but nothing has been done to change the plastic stickers on fruit & vegetables. BIODEGRADABLE options are available, how do we encourage growers to use them?

1 Like

Hi @aek.field, your post has been added to the longer discussion that looks at similar issues with plastics and ways to eliminate, reduce or replace.

Thereā€™s some frustration in our household with those pesky little stickers. Iā€™m the one who loads up the compost. Itā€™s not uncommon for one or two to sneak through. Why they are there in the first instance, perhaps to help those who work at Colesworth who donā€™t know their Granny Smiths from a Fuji? Admittedly some varieties of fresh fruit and veg can appear very similar.

Is it a grower issue or something the big supermarket chains require?

1 Like

I donā€™t know but the chains certainly have a great deal of influence over such matters. If anybody really wants to agitate for action about this then it would be an idea to find out. I havenā€™t seen any answer to the question in any thread here on the topic but I could have missed it. The reason is that unless oneā€™s idea of activism is to wail loudly into the dark one needs to know whose policy you are trying to change and focus attention on them.

On a similar track, I canā€™t see where it was established that all these labels are not biodegradable, if that has been done can somebody point to where? We have reports that they last for a time in the compost heap but that is all I have seen here.

Before anyone gets excited I am not claiming they are all biodegradable, however such labels are available. Can anyone say what proportion used in Oz are or are not?

Here is the Woolworths policy on sustainability for their suppliers. No your browser is not malfunctioning - it is empty.

This is Woolworths Sustainability plan which does not mention the issue of sticky labels.

This is Coles sustainability report which at least mentions compostable packaging (page 33) but thatā€™s all, it doesnā€™t say they actually do anything about it.

Aldi does seem to be doing something about sustainablity but this issue is not explicitly mentioned that I can see.

1 Like

I believe those annoying stickers on every individual piece of fruit are plastic and will not break-down as readily as the other parts placed into household compost, if at all. There may be a justifiable reason for their use, but couldnā€™t they be made of paper?

6 Likes

Yes, this is a terrible ā€œinnovationā€. Whoever came up with it should be ā€œtaken out the back and shotā€.

I have heard of the suggestion that edible ink should be used to print the barcode on. If viable, that would probably be better than paper.

Yes, there are semi-legitimate reasons to have a barcode on a piece of fruit.

2 Likes

Hi @carlmartens, welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to an existing thread where other members have also shared your frustrations. While they are needed for food tracking and more recently barcoding, I for one, fully agree with you about having a better alternative.

2 Likes

True, they are still there in the compost 6 months on. Still full of colour like new and totally legible. Long after even the avocado seeds are on their way to being nutrients.

1 Like