CHOICE membership

Frozen raw eggs

The other day a carton with 4 eggs still in it slipped through my hands and went flying to one corner of the kitchen.
3 of the eggs were badly damaged.

I know ( learned from Choice) that raw eggs exposed to air can quickly develop salmonella ( I always look very carefully that there are no cracked eggs
in the carton before buying any).

In cases such as this I would usually cook the eggs so as not to waste any, but this time I had a look on line on how to freeze raw unshelled eggs:
I placed each one in a small covered container, and today I’ve taken one out to defrost. Maybe I’ll make a mushroom omelette for tea.
Hope the taste hasn’t been spoiled
by freezing.

7 Likes

They do sell frozen egg whites, so freezing at least the whites are possible. I can’t see why the yolks couldn’t also be frozen.

I possibly would have cracked the eggs into a container for freezing. The eggs are likely to thaw quicker as they would be thinner.

5 Likes

As the online article suggested, @phb,
I cracked each egg in separate little containers; the yolk has frozen over as well as the white. It’s now defrosting in the fridge.
Hope it still tastes good.

5 Likes

Should still taste okay as they are recently frozen and appears the container would have been sealed to prevent other flavours being taken up by the eggs.

It will be interesting to see how the yolks turn out as I can’t see retail versions of these.

5 Likes

We have frozen eggs before when we couldn’t keep up with the chooks’ laying rate, they were fine when used in scrambled eggs/omelettes .

7 Likes

I will let you know as soon as I cook one tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

As you anticipated, @phb, the yolk was a bit of a problem: hours after being taken out of the freezer compartment and placed in the lower shelf of the fridge it still had not defrosted, whereas
the egg white was soon liquid again.

At tea time I cooked it as a fried egg as I didn’t know how much longer it was going to take to defrost the egg yolk.

Texture and taste were as a ‘ normal’
fried egg is.

Maybe I’ll experiment with defrosting to speed up the process: leave it on top of the sink? Just kidding :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for letting us know.

Maybe more time needed to defrost in the fridge…maybe take out freezer the day before.

6 Likes

As Peter suggests, move it from freezer to fridge earlier, or else plonk them into a bowl tap water for half an hour or more before use.

6 Likes

I had a similar accident but they went straight into the bin! Not taking any chances with Salmonella!

4 Likes

You are so right @d2dcd,
Not worth the cost of an egg to get sick.

In my case, the eggs were still in the carton but the shells got cracked.
And I had them in the freezer straight away.

But I wasn’t happy when I wanted to cook one and the yolk was still frozen.

I did cook it very well, so as not to take any risks but I certainly would not go to the trouble of freezing eggs because usually I have some just on the spur of the moment, and the frozen ones take a while to defrost.

6 Likes

Provided you don’t plan to consume them raw (namely one cooks them), they should not be an issue.

If the eggs are cooked above 74oC, then any salmonella which may be present will be killed/destroyed.

It does seem a shame to waste them.

7 Likes

There was an incident in Cairns around 20 years ago when many diners at the Hilton and another unnamed 5 star hotel became seriously ill after eating Tiramisu.

The hotels had used cracked eggs and an insurance broker told me that the hotels, the egg wholesaler and the farm were all sued over having used unsafe eggs.

Admitedly Tiramisu is made with raw eggs, but after that incident, I would not take any chances.

4 Likes

I believe in the US the national health policy advises against eating raw eggs, due to food poisoning risks. I’m not sure if it is the same here now.

I survived growing up with raw eggs in egg flips made by my mother a few times per week, with eggs from our back yard chooks.

6 Likes

That policy would do away with many ways of cooking eggs in which the yolk
remains raw:
Sunny side up
Poached
Soft boiled
Eggnog (Zabaglione, my fav as a child)
Mayo
And so many more ways I can’t think of now.
It would be a shame if we could only cook omeletts!

FWIW on a recent tour of Japan I remember that many of the fellows from Au objected to eating raw eggs, served in a small cup, white and yolk lightly beaten together.

7 Likes

A drink called egg flip (egg and milk beaten with a dash of vanilla) is a family favourite.

Depending where you live in Australia the wholesalers, retailers and the homes keep eggs refrigerated.
Maybe Americans don’t, as they certainly won’t order sunny side up, poached, soft boiled, etc.

3 Likes

‘America’ keeps eggs in the fridge. Sunny side up, scrambled, and ‘over easy’ (Australian cooks do not seem to be able to master the concept) are the standards. Poached and soft boiled are considered a bit posh in comparison. In contrast, across most of Australia, hard frying eggs in an egg ring seems the norm when they are not poached.

2 Likes

I cannot speak to that but I have observed our trans pacific cousins do seem to have a problem with microbial illness from raw egg. Whether it happens more often (due to poor food handling) or just gets reported more often I don’t know but it sure bothers them. You will see many a web page to do with food categorically tell you to never eat raw egg mayo etc.

Proper mayo and its derivatives like aioli is one of the joys of food. I have been making it and eating it regularly using supermarket and home grown eggs for many decades and nobody has ever got sick. This makes me speculate if the reports of illness are sometimes due to the cook’s own food handling issues or some other cause and eggs get the blame. I can’t say for sure but I am not going to stop making mayo.

2 Likes

A few decades ago, two 5-star hotels in Cairns had outbreaks of salmonella poisioning due to making tiramisu with cracked eggs which left dozens of people seriously ill.

Our insurance broker at that time said that the hotels, the wholesaler, and the egg producer were jointly sued in a successful class action.

All because some idiots decided to sell and use cracked eggs.