Fridge: net volumes can be wildly divergent from gross volumes, or not even published

Well said airedale…TheBBG i think you guys are making it way to complicated.Measure your a fridge then visit the store and inspect the fridge and see if it suits your needs.It’s not that difficult.And if your worried take in store a old pizza box and see if it fits simple.It really isn’t that difficult…Kanga2 go by my advice you will be a lot better off

That is all well and good if you are local to shops that carry wide ranges on display. Not so good otherwise if you need to travel a distance to visit those shops and are only hopeful.

2 Likes

I agree inspecting works very well if you can get to a store that has the item you want. If remote or in places less well served for choice then inspection may not be a real option and then reliance on accurate description and usable/relevant measurements have to be relied on. This is why a more useful way of comparing sizings may be very helpful to some.

4 Likes

Is there any standardised measurement system for “net” internal volume of fridges used anywhere in the world? Perhaps a sister organisation to Choice? Anybody else?

If so how effective is it?

If not, why not?

3 Likes

Is this a Myth Buster type moment?

Why not just seal up all the internal air openings, close the door and fill the insides up with water through a hole drilled in the top. Volume of water added or change in total weight due to water, scientifically normalised for temperature and hey presto. The exact volume to the nearest cc! I’m assuming the science is the important part of the test.

You could even leave all the shelves in to be sure they are properly accounted for.

And at the end you get to fill those fridges you least like with something else and blow them up!

p.s. only kidding, as no doubt some genius in the Choice testing team has already created an app for a smart phone to 3D scan the inside of a fridge and do the maths to convert the generated image to a dfx file and calculate the real volume to 10 decimal places. There is always another, more environmentally aware and better way?

1 Like

That is a good question. The US ‘sister’ of Choice apparently publishes gross and usable (net) capacity so it can be done.

Well done? You have specified another way to determine gross capacity, that is neither the topic nor a problem since manufacturers all quote it.

I’ll allow that if one wished to fill their fridge with liquid goop it would also be net so you might have a point to serve those select householders through confirmation of the manufacturers gross claims.

1 Like

Apologies, I must have misread the original post?

There was a second thought bubble if knowing the exact net volume is in doubt and critical to the decission making process. 3D laser scanning and optical scanning is everyday engineering - just not a common smart phone feature.

Directly to topic:
It is a complex issue that not only has space issues, outside of cabinet with clearance vs internal volume. How we use a fridge/freezer varies. The cooling capacity varies between similar internal volumes as does the insulation quality and leakage/losses around seals and when doors or drawers are opened. A greater comparative internal or net volume and lots of shelves does not a good fridge always make.

The net volume is probably the least useful comparison when all the other variables are considered. We had a side by side with great internal volume and storage, but in the end the compressor ran nearly 50% of the time and chewed power as evident when we were away and had little else to power. The manufacturers claimed power usage was far from reliable.

It’s another good reason to use the Choice reviews to short list options. Although our current fridge which has a high effenciency score and was reviewed by Choice is not Aussie Summer proof. The gap in the reviews is the practical limitation of Choice testing every fridge in a temperature controlled environment of 35C plus with typical loading. We could then discuss how many times an hour and for how long the door/s are opened to test the recovery and circulation in each storage space and door bins.

The world now assumes we all live in 18C air conditioning.

1 Like

That group says:
"CR’s refrigerator test engineers calculate each model’s usable storage capacity by measuring and tallying the volume of each individual shelf, door bin, and drawer, while subtracting the volume taken up by parts such as ice makers, water filters, air filters, lights, vents, and other components. "

So this method is quite mechanistic and does not take into account the shape of the remaining space and takes no consideration of what will be stored. This may not be perfect but it is going the right direction as it makes no assumptions about usage which was one thing that bothered me about the schemes offered here. One issue is that some of the volume discounted is arguable useful, at least to some people, such as the icemaker. Which bears on my point that usefulness is not universal but depends on chosen use.

Also they explain why gross volume is quoted in advertising, at least in the USA.

"The reason for the difference comes down to how manufacturers measure refrigerator volume. The industry follows a standard created by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers that states, without irony, that the industry method is “not intended to provide a means of measuring the food-storage capacity.” Say what?

That’s because the AHAM standard is intended for calculating energy consumption. "

(Italics added)

This seems to tally with the situation in Oz. At least to the point where gross internal volume is part of energy efficiency calculations.

2 Likes

I just bought a Kogan 545lt fridge freezer, mainly for the freezer space. When it arrived, the freezer space seemed a bit small. I called Kogan support. They said, take a pic of the specs on the back.
Specs stated, 545lt gross, 482lt volume.
How big is it. Turns out it’s only 2.5 star energy rating. Never stops running.
Some things to check I suppose, i bought it online,so ,wasn’t really thinking.

4 Likes

Appears to be just another case of Kogan’s shonky behaviour.

This LG fridge has a specified capacity of 668 litres.

If you calculate the total volume of the fridge from the dimensions stated, is is around 1,200 litres.

Thanks Fred

1 Like

Do you have the model or link to the Kogan website?

Is it this one?

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/kogan-545l-french-door-fridge-silver/

The website states:

Total: 545L | Freezer: 202L | Refrigerator: 343L

but doesn’t mention any other volumes. Even the manual has the same information…

If the website states that the gross volume is 545L and the actual volume labelled on the product when delivered is 482L (12% less), this this could be false or misleading statements under the Australian Consumer Law and you may have the right to return the product and request a full refund (inc. delivery costs).

4 Likes

For a refrigerator the gross volume is the total internal cooled volume. The nett volume is what you are able to use after all the shelving, ice trays etc are installed.

This issue has been raised previously by the community.

Appliances-on-line says gross volume is how it is done.

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/academy/fridges-freezers/guide-to-fridge-sizes/

Which likely coves their risk.

4 Likes

I don’t have a link.
Model, KAM545FRSFB ,side by side black

2 Likes

Thank you. I am new here. Sorry about that.
Really felt like airing this to someone.

2 Likes

Okay, this is the one…

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-545l-french-door-fridge-black-silver/

Like the other model (previous post), all the info online (webpage and manual) state the volume is 545L. If the label on the fridge states 482L, Kogan has been misleading and deceptive in their marketing of the fridge. A reasonable person may not have bought the fridge if they had known it was actually 12% smaller than advertised. In such case you have very strong grounds to use your rights under the Australian Consumer Law to get a resolution…such as getting them to collect the smaller fridge than advertised…and requesting a full refund.

To confirm the above, is it possible for you to take a photo of the label/specs on the fridge so we can what it says?

It is worth looking at the specs in the manual as these state 545L and not 482L. This info as well as the above weblink will be invaluable moving forward.

2 Likes

Thanks for your support.
I am new here. I think you will receive this picture

2 Likes

It appears from doing some searching, in the European Union, the gross volume is the total volume of the refrigerated space. The net capacity or total storage capacity is the volume of refrigerated space available to store food and drink, once the structural features of your appliance have been taken into account.

I haven’t heard before of fridges being sold with gross volume, with only net capacity being the real available volume for use. I might be wrong though…but doesn’t sound right as the manufacturer/retailer could easily stack the numbers to make the fridge sound bigger than it really is…like in your case.

May be Choice’ resident fridge expert @airedale may be able to comment to whether you have been ‘dudded’ 12% of your expected volume.

2 Likes

Thanks very much I will see

Unfortunately that seems to be how it works out.

The model volume is the total cooling volume.

4 Likes