CHOICE membership

Freezers review

Upright, vertical or chest? We lab test the latest equipment to help you find the best freezers (member content) for your money. Plus, discover everything you need to know in our freezer buying guide.

Have a question about freezers? Ask us in the comments below.

Well I’m looking at buying a freezer but there are none recommended. What do I do now?

Choice still reviews freezers, even though none are recommended. Determine what you need (size, capacity, type (upright or chest etc) and then look at what Choice says in their reviews. If you click on the Manufacturer/model it gives more detailed information including what Choice thought were the freezers good and bad points.

Use this as well as looking in store to determine which freezer best meets for needs within your price bracket for the purchase.

Well said @phb. And just because none of the freezers we’ve reviewed scored highly enough to be recommended, doesn’t mean we didn’t score them at all - you can still compare the performance of the freezers in our reviews - we show which ones are good and which ones are bad, even if none of them were truly excellent.

What would they have to do to be recommended?

For us to recommend a freezer it must score 75% or higher overall, and at least 70% across all scores in our testing. It’s a challenging ask for freezers as they typically have about the same amounts of insulation as a fridge, but are expected to maintain much lower temperatures throughout the entire cabinet. Further, they’re a relatively niche product compared to a refrigerator, so they don’t get the same attention and investment when it comes to research and development.

Thanks for that explanation. It leads me to wonder why it is that manufacturers do not see the benefit in making better performing freezers. In my naivety I imagine there would be a market for more efficient freezers in this day of expensive power and star ratings and I cannot see that making the walls thicker would be a huge cost. It isn’t as if the insulation is terrifically expensive or that much more steel would be required. My impression is that with the advent of better synthetic insulation the thickness of walls may have decreased in the last few decades. The net capacity would be slightly reduced due to thicker walls but I for one would accept that and pay a bit more up front for a net saving of electricity over the life of the machine.

Am I making false assumptions here about the costs?

I too would rather sacrifice a little space for a more energy efficient freezer. I suspect as far as manufacturers are concerned, improving the performance of their freezers is important, but a much lower priority than improving performance in their much higher market share and more conspicuous in the home refrigerators.
We have seen some advancements in refrigerator insulation technology recently, which allows maintains performance for a thinner wall section though, so hopefully we’ll see technologies like this make their way into future freezer models.