Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited - Ford Courier MY1998-2000 Recall

A recall notice foFord Courier MY1998-2000 supplied by Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited due to defective airbags.

Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited - Ford Courier MY1998-2000

PRA No.

2019/18075

Date published

23 Dec 2019

Campaign number

19S53

Product description

Certain MY1998-2000 Ford Courier vehicles produced from 13 November 1998 through 1 March 2000

Campaign Number 19S53
Number of vehicles affected = 216

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN list.pdf (30.16 KB)

What are the defects?

Affected vehicles may be fitted with a Takata NADI 5AT driver airbag inflator that could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react as intended during a collision, causing misdeployment of the airbag.

What are the hazards?

If an affected vehicle is involved in a collision, the airbag inflator could rupture, causing sharp metal fragments to enter the vehicle cabin at high speed, killing or injuring vehicle occupants.

There is also a risk that the airbag may underinflate in a collision and may not protect the driver as intended.

What should consumers do?

Owners of affected vehicles should immediately contact an authorised Ford dealer or call Ford’s Takata Hotline on 1800 503 673 to organise their free urgent vehicle inspection.

If a recalled Ford vehicle is identified as containing the affected type of driver airbag inflator, Ford Australia will offer to buy back vehicles registered for road use from the owner at current market value.

Due to the age of the vehicles, replacement airbag inflators are not available.

Consumers who are unsure of whether they are affected by this recall can visit Ford’s Takata Safety Recall website https://www.ford.com.au/owners/vehicle-support/takata-airbag-recall/, contact the Ford Takata Hotline on 1800 503 673 or contact their preferred Ford dealer. Dealer locations and contact details can be found at https://www.ford.com.au/dealership/

We also recommend you visit www.productsafety.gov.au/newsletter/subscribe to subscribe to receive updates about current and future recalls as they are published.

Further information for consumers is available at www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls

Supplier

Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development is the responsible regulator for this recall.

1 Like