Food waste in Australia

Another article regarding food waste.

2 Likes

An article regarding research into converting waste potatoes into valuable products.

An article regarding the PA hospital converting food waste into fertilizer instead of going into landfill.

How good is that?

3 Likes

An article regarding Qld farmers making good use of produce that would have been wasted.

It is on Landline on ABC TV at 12:31 PM today.

A bigger problem is a shortage of pickers locally. The same long rows of ripe red berries have been tempting me for days.

Although with Job adds like this one?

2 Likes

Where do I sign?

1 Like

A person who personally experienced food insecurtiy whilst growing up and who now works at a supermarket where she sees massive food waste has started a petition on change.org regarding food waste.

https://www.un.org/press/en/2012/sgsm14359.doc.htm

1 Like

Another article regarding food insecurity in Australia whilst food is still being dumped.

1 Like

An article regarding a NQ farmer having to plow $150,000 worth of golden squash back into the soil.

Whilst we cannot even buy them in FNQ.

Our local Coles sometimes have some at outrageous prices and disgusting quality which look nothing like their image.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/earlville/product/squash-yellow-loose

A good news story regarding a Qld farming family developing a new fruit juice process to cut waste.

It will be on Landline at 12:30 PM today.

1 Like

Whilst I was at our local Coles the other morning, they still had loaves of in-store bakery bread from the previous day marked down to half price when a staff member suddenly started to toss them all into a shopping trolley.

I asked him if they were throwing them out, and he replied that they were getting them ready for Second Bite to collect.

Well done Coles.

A good news story.

A good news story regarding helping to avoid wasting coffee cherries.

When I was little, an aunt had some bushes growing in their yard in Yungaburra and I would eat the sweet delicious pulp off the beans.

An article regarding rolling out food recycling bins nationally.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/fresh-push-for-food-scrap-bins-to-be-in-every-household/087ef8e2-23b4-414a-b9aa-7721f42a0e1b

Apparently, one way to cut down on food waste is to eat it.

Hopefully they don’t add this to our rates.

We can admit to not putting fat and bones in the compost. I’m a lousy composer. The compost copes quite well with all else, including the stray bit of cucumber or carrot that was on it’s last legs. Most meals and left overs can be human recycled safety with the aid of a little thought or finding room in the freezer.

Aside from fresh not meaning ‘picked today’ are we our own worse enemies for not buying according to the season?

I don’t know why I continue to buy celery, I only eever eat a few of the stalks and the rest gets wasted. I’ve tried passing it on but friends dont like it for some reason. Other than that, avocadoes which are past their use-by date before you get them through the frnt door. Well, maybe not that bad, but I miscalculated a couple of weeks back and had to chuck one. Most of the time I just buy what I need, eg three bananas rather than a big bunch, one orange because I should not have many. etc etc.

2 Likes

You could but this.

Oe even these for less waste.

I usually buy the hearts as there are no tops to get rid of and they are more economical than the sticks, although I will buy a half bunch when on special.

When I was in a supermarket the other day, I saw a shopping trolley near a checkout that was only half full, but with 3 full bunches of celery in it.

The already cut sticks or topped crowns last a lot longer as there is no leaf to aid transpiration and so stay crisper much longer.

2 Likes

Actually I do buy the prepacked sticks. I still don’t get through them, though they do last longer. I used to buy and trim, myself, which also worked well. However it is waste.

1 Like