Food Tips

Method one is going to be very strenuous, grinding the lip off the seal will take quite a while and most people are more likely to have a spare can opener than a suitable grinding stone, not to mention you are opening it upside down so it isn’t much use for liquid contents.

Method two will work if your hands are strong.

Another method is to use a short -bladed knife in place of the spoon. It will cut the top with less applied force but you still need to be able to control it so that you do not gash the hand that is holding the tin. I would only do this if your control is good and you can picture how the blade may skid and not have your off hand in the way. But with care a pen knife will do the job.

Note that all these methods should only be attempted by the competent as they leave sharp edges on the can which will inflict painful cuts. But if you are starving…

Heheh maybe we need a topic on Survival Tips. If I get desperate then any means that opens a can is worth considering as long as the contents are still safe to eat (no metal shards or filings) and doesn’t spatter the contents on the ground or elsewhere.

1 Like

A tip on cracking eggs.

I just received an email from Flybuys promoting Häagen-Dazs ice cream at Coles.

"Collect 700 bonus points

on Häagen-Dazs™ 457mL Ice Cream tub varieties when you shop at Coles

Offer valid Wed 24 Feb to Tue 9 Mar 2021
Offer redeemable once

Collect bonus points and be one of 1,500 to win your very own bag of Trojan Peas!

How many times have you finished up after a long day, put the kids to bed, you’re ready for your special time “Häagen-Dazs™ ö’clock”, only to find someone’s eaten it all?

Research shows 57% of parents* are forced to hide their treats so that their kids and partners don’t steal them. Häagen-Dazs™ have come up with the perfect solution…Trojan Peas: a fake bag of frozen peas specially designed to hide your ice cream and repel scavengers.

After all, who cares about frozen peas? Find details below on how to enter to win your own bag of Trojan Peas!

*2020 Survey of 1,000+ Australian Adults

How to enter

Activate this offer

Purchase any 457mL tub of Häagen-Dazs™ in-store or online at Coles

Scan your Flybuys card in-store or enter your card number online at the time of purchase

Enter your details here for your chance to WIN your own bag of Trojan Peas. Terms and conditions apply.#

#AU18+ Flybuys Members only. Ends 11:59pm AEDT Tue 9 Mar 2021 (while stocks last). Limit 10 per person. Full terms and conditions are available at www.trojanpeas.com.au."

Talk about subterfuge to stop people stealing your ice cream.

An article regarding a way to chop onions without making your eyes water.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/viral-tiktok-for-chopping-onions-without-crying-dubbed-hack-of-the-century/c46a3fe8-39c9-4359-b268-0a6b72dbdac6

A couple of tips for cooking potatoes.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/one-bowl-microwave-mashed-potato-by-chef-david-chang/e14b9500-f2e0-47d9-a8f1-16f8014e81d0

A tip for cooking pasta to prevent the pot from boiling over.

I just watched today’s episode of Lidia’s Italy on SBS TV in which she cooked pork and veal meatballs.

When she had the mince mixture ready, she used an ice cream scoop which she filled with the mince and then pressed the lever to eject each one.

They were not perfectly round but had a rustic appearance, and it was much faster than rolling each meatball.

Italian meatballs made the traditional way are always the best!
How does one find out what the traditional way is?

Only ask one Italian. :rofl:

Most important to only ask one, otherwise you will get confused and start to wonder how so many different recipes could all be canon. Or as my Italian neighbour once said to me, don’t ask Maria her family is from Piedmont.

I just looked at the latest of the never-ending emails from Kleva and noticed this gadget.

Just what you always wanted but you didn’t know you did.