CHOICE membership

Food Tips

Some articles regarding foods.

2 Likes

We use cabbage in jaio zi (Chinese dumplings). The recipe is…

3-4 cups cabbage (cut finely and blanched)
500gm pork mince (Asian butcher if you can)
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce or Chinese black vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon white pepper (use black if you don’t have white)
4 cloves garlic (optional)
120 dumpling wrappers

Mix ingredients. Let sit in the fridge for about 1-2 hours.

Fill jaio zi (round dumpling) wrappers (a heaped teaspoon per dumpling). Inside of wrapper is the floury side. Fold wrappers and seal edge with a wipe of a wer finger along the edge before pressing closed.

Place in fridge on a tray (layers separated with baking paper) to let the edge seal…30 minutes. Cook either steam, boil or as pot stickers.

Freeze on the tray. When frozen, separate and bag for future enjoyment.

Serve with dumpling sauce (bought one) or make your own (1 part soy sauce, one part Chinese black vinegar and garlic/chilli to taste).

6 Likes

What is the difference?

2 Likes

The mince.

Western butchers, including supermarkets, tend to use different cuts to make pork mince. Quite often when it is cooked it becomes dry and lacks flavour.

Asian butchers use cuts which retain their moisture when cooked and usually more flavoursome,and as a result are more enjoyable to eat.

5 Likes

Some tips for growing veggies using leftovers.

I am just about to plant some lemongrass which I bought as stalks at a market before putting them in water and then in a pot of soil.

I did that when Bunnings had no seedlings but I later managed to get one which is also going gangbusters.

2 Likes

A few more food tips.

Making your own sourdough bread.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/how-to/how-to-make-sourdough-starter-tips-from-sonoma-baker/133f7f72-4fa9-4b00-864b-cd469d84b09f

Cooking veggies.

Growing your own veggies.

2 Likes

Today’s food tips.

Growing your own plants.

Making your own pantry staples.

Video clip on how to boil an egg.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/catalogue#view=catalogue2&saleId=32720&areaName=FNQ&page=5

I thought it was amusing until I realised that Woollies probably suspects that the idiots who have stripped the egg shelves bare probably don’t have a clue as to what to do with them.

Hope they know to keep them in a fridge to stop them hatching. :rofl::rofl:

On Pantry Staples, ice cream usually needs cold storage.
You can grow your own, climate dependant. The Ice Cream Bean Tree!

Just one note for caution. This sub-tropical tree while good at fixing Nitrogen in the soil can get out of control. Similar in rapid growth and spread to the ubiquitous Aussie Umbrella Trees. A neighbour in BrisVegas has one. If you collect the seed pods and consume the pulp, or bin or … compost effectively - all good. The seeds quite readily produce offspring on the other side of the back fence. Not a neighbour friendly tree if it is left rampant. It’s best kept pruned once established, to maintain the size and shape.

P.S. Dairy free, so a great tasting alternative for those who can not or choose not to.

2 Likes

I bought a half price Woolworths Roast Chicken With Portugese Stuffing on Sunday for $5.75 and it was one of the most delicious roast chickens we have ever tasted.

The lump of stuffing was pretty ordinary but the flavour of the herbs and spices in it as well as the sprinkle on the skin of the chicken had permeated throughout the meat.

I bought another one on special yesterday for $8.00.

If you want an unbelievably tasty chicken for a great price, grab one by Tuesday.

1 Like

Another article regarding growing veggies at home.

A tip for making toasties with less mess.

After buttering each slice of bread and placing the filling on one slice, put the other slice on top and butter the top of it.

Then place it upside down on the sandwich press and butter the top.

Much easier and less messy than trying to butter the outsides and then wrangle it onto the press.

I tried to buy another one for the past 3 days but there were none available.

Today there were a couple of free range chooks marked down from $11.00 each to $4.40 each so I put them in the trolley and then asked if there were any Portuguese ones in the cooker.

The staff member said there were 2 and they would be ready in 48 minutes so I asked for them and
I placed the other ones back on the warmer.

When they were ready, they had no price/barcode labels and when that was rectified, the price was $11.50 each.

I said that the other person told me that they were on special all week which is why I put the second one back the other day.

They called the manager who turned out to be the meat manager complete with a bad customer attitude.

He claimed that they had a surplus of them and had a one day only special to clear them and he refused to honour what the staff member told me.

So after some 4 visits and more than 1 hour wasted today, I walked out empty handed as the 2 free range chooks were gone.

Not to worry. The $7 that they failed to honour will be nothing to the business they just lost.

What an idiot.

“Who called the manager an idiot?”
“Who called the idiot a manager?”

Make your own sourdough bread.

1 Like

An interesting slideshow of various national potato dishes.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/foodanddrink/around-the-world-in-20-potato-dishes/ss-BB13ATju?ocid=spartandhp#image=1

1 Like

An article regarding a simple way of separating the tenderloin from a chicken breast.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/chicken-tendon-fork-hack-goes-viral-on-tiktok/41556f77-8468-4d0d-bbd6-a849aa5a8af3

1 Like

Woollies have a new range of premium sausages which are as good as those made by prize winning butcher shops.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productgroup/200520-dept-premium-sausage-new?icmpid=sm-mc-key-dept:wk47-r29-new-bni-winter-warmers-premium-sausage-500g-all-groups-both

So far we have tried the Cumberland Pork, Cheese & Truffle, and Italian Beef & Pork.

Highly recommended. especially when marked down.

An article regarding Domino’s tip for reheating leftover pizza.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/dominos-hack-for-reheating-pizza-in-microwave-without-going-soggy/f7caa93c-7fe2-4a35-ad47-12fb0ff7569f

And an article showing how not to reheat your pizza.

https://travel.nine.com.au/latest/passengers-attempt-to-reheat-pizza-on-plane-baffles-travellers/f5b2c2bf-1285-4971-b1a6-453a7512d617

I have been buying unbranded chicken & mushroom pies from the deli at our local Coles.

They are normally priced at $3.80 each but I buy them when they are marked down to $2.00 or less each.

They are the nicest chicken pies I have ever tasted with chunks of chicken and a delicious sauce encased in a crispy pastry.

I remove them from the bag and heat them for a minute in the microwave followed by 5 minutes in the air fryer then add mushy peas and worchestershire sauce for a delicious lunch in no time.

1 Like

An article regarding making souffles.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/how-to/how-to-make-a-perfect-souffle-on-first-try-according-to-top-chef-peter-gilmore/7ae663a8-064b-43d3-925c-286e156103c0

I have never eaten a souffle but might just try this.

2 Likes

He is right, souffle is not that hard. I suggest that you practice a bit and don’t do it for a dinner party the first time. Egg foam cookery takes a little practice. A less than perfect product will still be tasty even if it doesn’t look so impressive. I prefer a more tasty cheese than listed. YMMV

Another principle is to keep in mind that even if you do it all correctly the inflation depends on heat. You must serve it out of the oven as soon as it is ready and use warm plates. So do not make the souffle wait for the guests, make the guests wait for the souffle. Also the saying ‘a souffle only rises once’ is not strictly true. If you mistakenly let it cool too much before serving you can pop it back in the oven (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn) and it will re-inflate somewhat.

2 Likes