Food Security in a Globalised Economy

Sometimes years although it might not seem like it at the time. The politics can be brutal! Not so much political target practice now that the reservoirs are dropping again.

The point is not so much the plant as it was and remains the politics. We have similar ‘political leadership’ for most everything. Even the Murray-Darling has those who favour river and ecological long term health, and others who just want to irrigate. Growing food is good, but water efficiency or lack thereof weighed against environmental survival usually falls down on politics not science.

When the ownership of vested interests (and thus usually major political donors) are monied locals, or as may be the case increasingly foreign or multinationals it is not hard to understand why it increasingly (does not) work as it does.

3 Likes

Another case of Australia stopping another enviromental disaster, at least for now.

1 Like

And now there has been another one.

Whilst watching Landline yesterday, I was horrified to hear that there are no sniffer dogs at the Cairns airport, and there none at Darwin airport up until a few weeks ago when the ABC blew the whistle.

And the total number of sniffer dogs nationally has been cut from around 80 to just 36.

What sort of idiots are in charge of this.

1 Like

Australian Govt idiots that’s who…need anymore be said about thought patterns in some areas of our Govt…cut costs at any opportunity regardless of risks.

1 Like

An article regarding the new, and only, sniffer dog located at Darwin Airport detecting 69 biosecurity risks including pork in her first month.

Too bad about Cairns Airport.

1 Like

My cynicism at it’s best says they don’t want to embarrass the Tourists who travel through Cairns International as they are likely wealthier than those arriving in Darwin and we need the money for our Trade Balance figures. Cynicism off but reality on is that so much money is misspent by Fed Govt that they don’t put enough in Bio Security.

2 Likes

Cairns has many arriving tourists including from China and other Asian countries whilst Darwin appears to only have flights from Singapore and Bali.

If the sniffer dog found 69 detections in a month in Darwin, just what is being missed in Cairns?

Absolutely disgraceful.

2 Likes

Got it! Port Morseby and Auckland and …
https://www.cairnsairport.com.au/travelling/departing/domestic-and-international-destinations/

thanks @Fred123. That reminds me so much of the decades when I lived and worked up north.

There is no Qantas or affiliated lounge at Cairns International. More of a Jetstar and Air Nugini style experience. Upgrade in progress? Yes, but only the domestic!

https://www.cairnsairport.com.au/t2-upgrade/

Perhaps Cairns does not need a dog, it’s two arriving luggage carousels only holding the baggage of ten travellers at a time. Fortunately my regular use of the facility was most often carry on only. Still a bit of a risk when you needed to make a domestic connection.

Oh! And, As of 28th Oct. (last month)

Dog on the way.
Next, that all important lounge upgrade. The carousels can wait? :rofl:

P.s.
The best bit about Cairns Airport for International arrivals with a Domestic connection. Your FitBit will count out more than 3,000 steps. That’s from getting off the international Dash8 arrival on the tarmac, walking the length of the international terminal three times, the casual ten minute race to the far end of the domestic, before finally walking out on the tarmac to board another Dash8/Q400 parked adjacent to the aircraft you had recently arrived on.

Ah! North Qld in summer. If only it was raining on arrival to complete that true tropical paradise feel. You need to live there to appreciate it in all its seasons. Wet and steamy or not so wet and steamy. Good Corona weather all year round.:wink:

1 Like

Great to hear that something is finally being done.

There were sniffer dogs at the Cairns Airport many years ago as we recall them running all over our luggage after we returned from overseas. They used Beagles back then.

Perhaps the Government could not afford to keep buying kibble to feed them?

Who knows @Fred123? I was well acquainted with them. Something perhaps to do with who I may have last sat next to on the Toyota Coasta bus in PNG? Perhaps the beagles were just eager to see a familiar face? They do a great job, from what I have seen dug out of the bottom of backpacks. I always made an effort never to have had any food or scraps in my luggage. Had an Apple core left over one day which went in the quarantine bin. The residual aroma was enough to cause interest!

P.S.
On food security, many in PNG still rely on the traditional village gardens for staples and greens. Perhaps there is a lesson in that for all of us?

1 Like

The Federal Government allocates an additional $66 million to try to protect Australia’s $5.2 billion a year pork industry.

That is just over 1% of what the pork industry generates in a decade.

A bit like buying a lotto ticket with the intention of using the winnings to address a problem.

At this rate, I have zero confidence in ASF being kept out of Australia.

1 Like

A damming report into biosecurity in Australia.

1 Like

Another disaster heading our way.