Food packaging problems - which products give you wrap rage?

I would like to nominate the flavour sachets that come in the asian spicy varieties of instant noodle soups.

Inside are the little sealed sachets with three different ingredients such as flavouring, soy, and chilly. There is no way to access all three without making a mess. Even pushing all the contents down to one end and then cutting across the other end results in the scissors being messy, and then as you try to squeeze out the last of the ingredients it ends up on your fingers.

I have tried quite a few brands and varieties, and all are frustratingly messy.

6 Likes

Ha! At long last I can regale someone with a collection of woes in regard to food packaging I have encountered over the years. It all goes back to that time when I was young and my Grandmother was offered a “Mintie” to chew on. She took the wrapper off and placed the sweet in her mouth where it stayed for over two hours before she finally became exasperated and said to her daughter “Jean, I can’t get any taste out of this at all!” An investigation revealed that said sweet had yet another wrapper wound around it. It was white - the same colour as the sweet. She hadn’t actually got her gnashers on to the sweet itself! How smart! How infuriating!

I am amazed though at the lengths manufacturers go to in order to annoy us or just make life plain difficult. Biscuits once used to be sold in a big tin, or loosely at the grocer’s who would put them in a paper bag - and charge less for the broken ones. They now come in a thin plastic container which is wrapped up in cellophane made out of a substance resembling cast iron and which cannot be undone unless one attacks it with a carving knife. Having done so, one is lucky if the biscuits have not fallen on the floor or worse - in the sink full of water. Sometimes one is lucky and ends up with only three or four broken biscuits in the meagre ration allowed of about ten. (It is good that the manufacturers are also looking after our diets by forcing us to eat less).

Then there are the products which come in a plastic container sealed with a plastic film across the top which is meant to simply tear off. It never does. One may get a bit of it off, then another bit, and in the process of trying to remove the rest, get some of the product all over your nice clean white shirt. This sort of thing goes on in aeroplanes too when you have to try and work out how to open a ridiculously small and intricate milk container or one containing tomato sauce. I daresay it keeps the air hostesses amused - and laundries and dry cleaners in business.

Is it me, or do other people find that the ring pull on tin cans just comes off when pulled instead of taking the whole lid with it? One then has to resort to a rummage through the drawers to try and find the tried and tested can opener.

Do pills come into the food category as well - seeing as one has to swallow them? Once one only had to battle with trying to get the cotton wool out of the top of a bottle, but now some idiot with nothing better to do has invented a thing called a “blister pack”. It is supposed to be easy. One just presses lightly and a pill comes out into one’s hand. Wrong. Press the surface and the next thing you know you are chasing a pill that has rolled out and on to the floor. You then spend the next ten minutes trying to find it before the dog gets hold of it.

Why too is it that some packages contain individually wrapped items? You have to do two lots of unwrapping - and it is so wasteful. (The amount of garbage I have to put out!)

Finally, I really enjoy paying for air. It’s supposed to be one of the few things in this life which is free - but no, manufacturers seem to package it up and sell it to us. They are able to get away with it because their actual product is contained in about one fifth of the total space of an enormous package designed to make a shopper think they are getting good value.

I could go on with the reasons why some very fruity language can be heard emitting from my abode on occasion and why at times I feel as though two men in white coats will be summoned to take a sobbing wreck off to the lunatic asylum.

8 Likes

:grinning::grinning::grinning::ok_hand:

1 Like

Quite a lot of people injure themselves whilst trying to open packaging, and not just for food products. Such as stab and cut wounds from knives and scissors. So it is not just the nuisance factor, but also a safety issue.

And older people lacking in hand strength are particularly affected by not being able to open some packaging.

4 Likes

A pair of scissors does the trick.

1 Like

Not too bad with caplets but try getting panadol tablets out of their blister packs.

Just another dis-service from GSK.

My favorite in this group is the ring pull can, where the ring pulls right off the can and you have to scramble around in the drawers, trying to find a can opener. It usually happens with little tins of tuna or medium kidney beans. Clearly the ring isn’t for opening the can, but is a pre-dinner activity to develop fine motor skills, or the first part of a treasure hunt.

2 Likes

Another one are the glass bottles with aluminium caps like Schweppes 300ml drinks where the perforations refuse to break and the caps just continually turn without opening.

One has to resort to a small utility knife to cut the tabs one by one whilst trying to not injure oneself…

Tassal Smoked Salmon - Salt Reduced 90g
I love a bit of smoked salmon on top of a bit of avo on bread for breakfast. I have high BP so need to reduce salt intake. Thankfully Tassal make a 50% salt reduced product. It has just 484mg of sodium/100g. Unfortunately, it’s sold only in 90g packets. I mean, who in the history of the world has ever gone into a fishmongers and bought 90g of anything? :slight_smile:
Anyway, my beef is with the packaging. It’s good that Tassal has put much effort in achieving food security but the packets are almost impossible to get into. One has to tear the packets open from the top corners. I’m no weakling but I find it quite difficult. With greasy fingers it’s impossible.

8 Likes

I use our small razor sharp utility knife to slice across the top of the pack and then down the side so that the product and its tray can be easily slid out.

I the rinse the empty tray with hot water and put it back in the plastic pack and fold it up to go in the bin.

4 Likes

The Age newspaper home delivered is so difficult to unwrap!
A coloured tab would really help to indicate where to begin unwrapping.

5 Likes

I’m with you Meltam - those cartons of milk are a pain. What you didn’t mention is that you need to grip the carton quite firmly to remove the plastic tab and most times end up squeezing it just as the top comes off - result, milk everywhere. Then when you do finally succeed and pour the milk it ‘flops’ out of the carton as the air is trying to get into the carton as the milk comes out. Worst design ever.

5 Likes

Most plastic packaging is harder than before. Not sure why they make it hard. Unless either for freshness or so people don’t break open bags.most annoying is for example chocolate coated nuts or ev3n packaging on cadbury individually wrapped bars. Tbe outer baga are extremely difficult. I usually cut the outer bag with scissors

3 Likes

When you say “milk bottles”, you’re actually talking about waxed board long-life milk containers, aren’t you?

Prepacked meat trays from (mainly) Woolworths. Vacuum sealed with a soft top and a hard tray. Absolutely impossible to separate effectively for recycling. That’s apart from the issue that the quality of Woolworths meat has declined considerably since they scaled down their in-house butchering facilities.

6 Likes

I have already told Bundaberg that I will not buy any of their products with those ring-pull tops. Their aim is of course is to ensure the entire bottle is consumed upon opening, unlike similar products with screw tops.

3 Likes

Inside soya sauce and other bottle caps, that plastic “ring pull” thing to open for pouring - every so often the plastic ring just snaps off and leaves you to try and cut it out with a knife or push it in to float around in there and mock you for your clumsiness . . .

6 Likes

I have definitely had problems with the packets of Nestle choc bits. They have a tear here but 9/10 it never happens and I have to get out the scissors. My other one that’s really annoying is Omo powdered detergent. It has a zip top but as soon as I start opening it I have detergent everywhere. On behalf of my 96 year old Mum no one really considers the elderly or those with poor hand power or arthritis.

4 Likes

Thanks, Phil, I looked at the website and added a few things to the cart (those bags look really good, too) but the exchange rate has been prohibitively expensive lately. I’ll check ebay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With you on the Eno issue. My regular pharmacy no longer has it, and theres no suitable alternative. Eno was the “last man standing’ in my case, I started out using Dexsal years ago, then moved to Efferdex when I could not get Dexsal, then to Eno when I couldnt get Efferdex. Whats next???

1 Like