Flixster shutting down will compound UltraViolet Digital Movie Library shutdown issues

Anybody who has redeemed their Digital Video codes that come with some DVD/BluRays may find themselves out of luck in Australia.

Flixstervideo is the only service that currently seems to be available to Australian users and they are shutting down. “JB HIFI Now” shut down in 2017 and Flixster and UVVU will close this year, all these shutdowns have left the Australian consumer who uses these services without a current fallback. In the US there are a few more services to choose from.

While most of us can now stream from a number of places such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Stan, iTunes it is the fact that some people paid a premium to use a system that allowed them to access their content digitally when they purchased physical media. That ability/service is being removed and despite the assurances that are being offered in the emails about how they are working to connect with other providers the fact remains there are currently none here to swap to.

5 Likes

I recently received an email from UltraViolet, advising that they were closing 31/7/2019. I duly successfully linked to Flixster. Having read your post, I checked my Flixster account - it’s gone…
But - still having access to UltraViolet, I have managed to succesfully link my library to FandagoNOW; it required creating an account with them, then I was able to find the U/V link. I do have an operational VPN though… It may be worthwhile to install one, if you wish to be able to access your UV library.

2 Likes