Fitbit Tracker Band Defects No Remedy

Hi @mark_m,

Thanks for highlighting the issue in the Community, we’ve received a few reports of the band issue with the Fitbit Charge and I’ll be sure to pass on your comments too. Generally speaking, we attempt to perform our own stress or reliability testing where possible, but it can be a tricky aspect to cover from a scientifically sound perspective over longer periods (although we still complete reliability testing and surveys).

Unfortunately, despite all this, some issues do not become apparent until later down the track. If we feel there is problem occurring either with a company overall or a specific device we have updated our recommendations or results in the past and we may do so again.

The second componant here is the ‘reasonable use’ factor that is both important to us and also affects the ability to make a claim under the consumer law. What’s reasonable in the case of the $250 fitness tracking device? Personally, I’d expect it to last two years while being used in vigorous excercise, but that’s just me. At an individual level, people need to follow up the complaint with a fair trading or consumer affairs body as part of the process to getting a resolution.

Recently, we heard about a case where a consumer received a positive outcome after damaging their Apple watch in the pool. It was determined that it was not explained to the consumer at the point of sale that “if the watch is damaged by hard impact during physical activity, it is not capable of repair and must be replaced”. It was ruled that this was in “contravention of the consumer guarantee as to fitness for purpose of goods (s 55 of the ACL NSW)".

While this doesn’t offer any guarantee on the outcome of an individual Fitbit band case, it shows it’s at least worth challenging these matters despite any warranty details or rhetoric from the company. By the way, please feel free to put your friend in touch if they’d like any assistance, I’d be happy to refer them to our CHOICE Help service.

6 Likes