Fisher and Paykel appliances - the bad and the good

had a look at new machines on choice site. ONLY one top loader recommended. No room for a front loader.

This one needs to be re alighted or fixed… no money to spend on a new machine.

3 Likes

This one might be coming to it’s 10th birthday. so not bad… still not happy that it’s playing up.

4 Likes

Although Choice recommendations are Choice recommendations, it often pays to read why one is recommended and another that couild even have a higher score might not be. Those differences could be important to you, or your personal priorities could be different from Choice’s. Choice freely suggests to have a look based on the various criteria they publish to make a short list.

Last comment is the machines Choice selects to test are reasonably based on ‘the market’ (sales/popularity). It could well be you can find an excellent low cost machine that has not been tested. How to know? Other sites such as productreview (not as credible as Choice), or perhaps by having a superior warranty.

6 Likes

True, I seem to go for products that have the least problems or ‘non to mention’. Last thing I want to do is get an appliance that has many problems.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fisher and Paykel Customer Service Missing

I received a fridge this morning. I tried to contact F&P twice to ask what some parts that came with the fridge are for. I waited on for 20 minutes and hung up. I then rang Appliances online but they had not idea what the parts were for. I then rang F&P again and after 31 minutes was answered only to be told that I would be put through to technical support and cut off. If I were the CEO of this company I would be ashamed to tell anyone that I was responsible for this lack of customer service. By the way I have a F&P washing machine and another F&P fridge and just retired another F&P fridge. The only reason that I purchase F&P items is because of Choice. I wonder if Choice know what terrible customer service they provide.

2 Likes

Do you have the model number of the fridge as it may give an indication of the parts in the user manual. Many new appliances have a short cut version of user manuals and rely on the purchaser to download the full detailed version online.

Alternatively, if you have a smart device, you are welcome to take photos of the parts and upload them to the forum so that members can guess/indicate what they are for.

3 Likes

Hi the model is 25027-C or RF522BRPW6.

This is an image of the plastic things

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hi I just managed to get to F&P by chat line and they might be bottle holders for the glass shelves.

3 Likes

They are right.

In the Fisher & Paykel Part Manual for the RF522BRPW6 (24802-A) , part number 44 is " HOLDER BOTTLE SINGLE", and it looks exacly like the photo.

On the F&P website, they show the fridge with a couple of bottles on their sides on the shelf. Must be using those cradles.

4 Likes

31 minutes on hold is unacceptable but increasingly common since most companies and government agencies seem to be having ‘a higher volume’ of calls that swamp their staffing levels to deal with. It seems they have a fixed budget for ‘service’ regardless of their customers needs to obtain it and ration ‘service’ to those persistent enough to stay on hold.

A slowly increasing number of companies are offering automated call backs when your place in the queue comes up. Those calls come when you would be near the head of the queue. It sounds good and sometimes is good, but how many of us can wait around and how many call-backs come after we have to be out and about, and they ask us something we could only know by holding the product in our hand at that moment. So sad, too bad, ‘please ring us back when you have it in front of you’…

As for being cut off, that happens too regularly as operators try to transfer calls and hit a wrong button. I agree it is irritating at any time and especially so after being in the queue for so long. Unfortunately it happens. It is partly operator care, sometimes training, and usually a phone system that makes it easier to do than it should.

5 Likes

This is a close up picture of what they look like when they are used…

They are mainly for wine bottle sized bottles to prevent them rolling around on the smooth shelves…and potentially falling from the fridge shelf when the door is opened.

If one plans to use them, it is worth double checking that the cap on the bottle being laid down is on securely, so that there are no leaks into the fridge…

2 Likes

Many modern fridges seem to come with accessories for this purpose. Similar logic to ensuring any new car has plenty of cup holders. Even important for ride on mower purchasers these days. Practicality of some bottle antiroll devices and the location of drink holders often questionable.

On topic our experience over the previous ten years with sourcing F&P parts for dishwashers and a drier have been generally good. I hope @hrodden your recent experience is an exception, and not a trend.

Muse:
Our Electrolux fridge has a little alloy plate with three dips that take three stubbies or cans readily. For wine and most soft drinks or mineral water they are too closely spaced to restrain three bottles, but too far apart in the outer positions to be efficient. Barely enough capacity for a party of one, some might suggest. Our slightly older Westinghouse branded fridge had a full width slide in wire rack that was very efficient at holding a decent selection of bottles.

Obviously one design team prefers quality over quantity. You do wonder at the logic of that odd spacing of the Electrolux branded accessory. Perhaps they were anticipating the rise of the half size wine bottle. Doubt it has much to do with stubbies of ginger beer as they fit quite neatly in one of those skinnier door shelves.

Fisher & Paykel made me order my own parts for dishdrawers for which I waited months.
When they turned up one of them was dented. The top dishdrawer still does not work without faulting.
Twice I have scheduled service appointments and they have twice been cancelled by them.
Third time lucky maybe or maybe they are just so rubbish they are going out of business!

2 Likes

How old is your dishwasher and what fault(s) has it had at what point(s) in its life? If it in less than 5 years old, and possibly near 11 if you bought a top of the range expensive model, you may be able to claim using the Australian Consumer Law.

You can search on the community for the ‘ACL’ and will find many links to Choice advice and the ACCC pages enumerating consumer guarantees, your rights, and how to proceed to obtain them when being fobbed off.

Every fault is not going to be covered for one or another reason, and as a product ages the consumer has to provide a well researched claim as to why the product is faulty and how long it should last, as if one is a silk before a magistrate.

2 Likes

Replacement parts are also covered by the ACL as well. If it was dented, you have every right to seek a replacement.

2 Likes

I thought I would just share my recent positive experience with my Fisher and Paykel Fabricsmart front loader washing machine, it unfortunately broke down just 4 months out of warranty. I booked a service call through their website and had the machine repaired and paid in full on the day. It required a new drain pump. The following week I contacted customer care and asked if I could get a refund on the repair as it was only just outside the warranty period, stating that under Australian Consumer Law I should be entitled to statutory warranty, I was put through to the manager, as message was left for them to call me. They actually did call me back and assessed the situation and granted me a full refund of the $248 paid for the service call and repair. I received the money back into my bank account within the week.
So whilst it was disappointing for the just 2 year old washing machine to break down, I just want to say thumbs up to Fisher and Paykel for getting it fixed and refunding me the money.

12 Likes

Hi @louisebonney, it is great to hear about your positive experience with Fisher and Paykel and also pursuing your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

6 Likes

I have moved your post to an existing relevant thread.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience which shows that F&P Customer Service experience varies a lot. Your polite approach using the ACL was the right way to go. Well done.

7 Likes

I have spent $500 on service calls and replacement parts for my Fisher & Paykel dishdrawers which are nearly 6 years old. The top drawer has not worked since July last year and after several service calls - some of which they did not charge me for - the service people cannot seem to find the intermittent fault. Either they don’t know how to fix it or they don’t want to because it is too difficult. I am at my wits end and about to buy a new dishwasher - not a F&P.
Smeg on the other hand are very efficient with repairs and quick when I have had oven issues.
Thumbs up for them, thumbs down for F&P and their run around non service.

2 Likes