Fisher and Paykel appliances - the bad and the good

I bought a Fisher & Paykel MYE522BRE4 bottom freezer refrigerator on 12/02/2015. It broke down on 28/07/2017 and has been replaced by Fisher & Paykel today, even although it was out of warranty. I am delighted with their service.

3 Likes

EEK! Iā€™ve just bought F & P oven and induction hot plates. They are not installed yet. Fingers crossed that I have done the right thing.

1 Like

@marionclark Just out of interest how are the oven & induction cooktop going? From personal experience and research if thereā€™s a problem with the cooktop itā€™ll show within a couple of months of normal use :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Both are wonderful - no problems at all. Recommend both *****

3 Likes

We have a Fisher and Paykel tumble dryer which we have had for around 5 years. We have had to have one of the internal bearings replaced twice and it seems to be starting to make the same noises again. It is quite an effective dryer but we donā€™t use it that often ( once a week to fluff the towels is about it) so we expected a little better.
J

4 Likes

I have had 3 Fisher Paykel tumble dryers in the last 21 years. The first one we gave to my mother when we moved overseas and she still has it. I purchased one in 1999 (Brunei) that lasted until 2008 (Singapore) and that is still going strong, probably needs to be replaced in the next 12 months. They have all had a couple of minor repairs. We are a family of 5 and the dryer is used a minimum of 2 loads a day. So I have found them to be good value for money.

5 Likes

Currently my F&P washing machine is refusing to spin. Machine starts rattling and stops. Placed a service call but itā€™s 3 weeks awayā€¦
Thankfully itā€™s 30C+ so machine washes and while everything is soaking wet, sun dries.

Electrician thinks that itā€™s because machine is out of balance. Hope thatā€™s all it is as I cannot afford a new one.

Forgot to mention. F&P call out fee is $150. Just the call out fee.

7 Likes

You may be able to self diagnosis or repair.

We had the similar issue and was a bra wire caught under the agitator. Check to see if there is something stuck under itā€¦this is how to remove the agitatorā€¦very easy to do.

Alternatively, if it starts to spin and then stops, it could either be the suspension rods have failed or the balancing springs have popped off. The balance springs can be reattached if the lid and top is fully opened (we have had this problem as well).

7 Likes

Thank you! Donā€™t have an agitator.

Hope itā€™s a simple issue and doesnā€™t need spare parts. as that will cost even more. With my luck it will be suspension rods lol

4 Likes

Mine did similar - it always rattled a bit but got very sensitive then started throwing an error code - I took the cover off the control unit and found the microswitch, which was gummed up with calcium carbonate - given a new one would be a week away and I had the machine full, I carefully took it apart and repaired it, in full intent on ordering a new one.That was about a year ago :slight_smile:

Probably a different issue, but the key is to do searches on the symptoms - its amazing what you can find ā€¦ be specific to machine model and try different wordings of the problem description.

7 Likes

How old is the machine @annaa63? Good luck getting it sorted out, hope it doesnā€™t cost too much.

2 Likes

HI Brendan, thank you but it will. Call out fee $150 and if itā€™s suspension rods then 4 might cost as much as $400. Still cheaper then a good washing machine.

itā€™s the money I donā€™t have to spend right now.

Electrician will have a look this week. hope itā€™s just that machine is not leveledā€¦ We do 2-3 washes a week. Which is not that much.

Old machine lasted 30 years and never had to be fixed. One day it started as per normal. The water filled up to the top and then it stopped working.

6 Likes

Ouch, thatā€™s a real shame about the cost. Iā€™m not sure where you are located, but just an idea - you could try a service like Airtasker to find a qualified person that might save you a bit of cash. Iā€™ve used it myself for similar things (but to emphasise to make sure to choose a qualified person and always get multiple quotes).

Good luck and please let us know how you go :slight_smile: .

5 Likes

Iā€™m in Sydney. Between my placing a call and tradi coming out is 3 week wait.

Hope Electrician can help or recommencement a good plumber who can do the job if I need parts replaced.

Called F&P so hope their people are good.

had a problem with the old cooker and called manufacturer and they send someone one. He damaged a control. One went out and i was worried that there is a problem ā€¦ he damaged oneā€¦ When I called and complained they told me that 1. he is experienced 2. they can give me 1k to get a new cooktop. 3. no spare parts available ā€¦

So, hope F&P person will take care and not push me into getting a new machine. As i cannot afford 1k+ and can only get a top loader due to small laundry.

5 Likes

If you think it is out of level you can get a level to check, that is an easy task. If it is out of level the feet are adjustable (screw in and out) and using the level again you should be able to adjust to the correct levelling. If you arenā€™t able to adjust it yourself ask a friend or neighbour (if you trust them) to do it for you.

I donā€™t know what size/capacity you need but you should be able to get a new one that takes around a 7 to 8 kg wash for way less than $1,000.

From Appliances Online (well recommended business by others on this site)

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/top-load-washing-machines/

From the Good Guys

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/laundry/washing-machines/top-load-washing-machines

From Harvey Norman

From JB HiFi

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-appliances/washing-machines/

From Bing Lee

6 Likes

thank you! I know ā€¦ will get someone to check the levels.

1000 is something out of question right now.

3 Likes

My pleasure.

If you check the links you will find a number of machines with good capacities nearly $400 to $500 cheaper than $1,000. I canā€™t say whether they are good, great or lousy but if you are a Choice member I am sure you can check their washing machine results to see if worthwhile or not.

2 Likes

This is a perfect example where a repair costs more than an entry level replacement, and the replacement comes with a warranty and the ACL. A number of products are in the $500-600 range and their basic operation compares well to more expensive models, just not the bells and whistles.

However once you have spent the call-out fee the equation shifts towards the repair and it will be a punt as to your final cost depending on what is broken.

4 Likes

Did it drain as it could be a water pump issue? The water pumps do fail after long term use also buildup in the pumps (or a bra wire for example), can stop the pump working. It is also relatively easy to remove the pump to check its condition/remove buildup of materials and insert. (we have also had a bra wire stop the pump as well).

There are heaps of videos on Youtube showing how to remove water pumps to check them.

Also, does the drum rotate or does it rotate with a new noise? If it rotates with some force but has a terrible noise, could mean something is stuck in the base of the drum preventing it turning freely. If the drum canā€™t turn freely with some effort, our Fisher & Paykel stops working and displays a fault.

30 years is an excellent life for a washing machine. The sort of life one only dreams of.

3 Likes

The old machine. No it filled up and turned itself off permanently. Was sad to see the old girl go. It served us well through the years and few moved. Was portable as well.

3 Likes