Fisher and Paykel appliances - the bad and the good

I have two F&P appliances. The desktop stove is excellent.

The F&P oven/grill has had two problems. The fan noise continues long after the oven is turned off: I am not sure how common it is in this area of ovens but it is not melodic.

We have had both appliances for maybe five years. About three years ago the glass door of the oven shattered onto the kitchen floor in small fragments - not the external glass surface but the internal layer. Even though the warranty had expired, F&P replaced the glass free of charge and handled the process well. I must admit I am still a bit jumpy when the oven is on because I could have been seriously hurt if I had been standing directly in front of the oven door.

Except for the two points I mentioned, the griller and oven have worked very well indeed.

1 Like

Most companies that produce home appliances now, be it whitegoods or other items, are manufactured with “built-in obsolescence”. For their profit margins it makes no sense to sell a product that lasts for 20 years without needing to be replaced, they want you to purchase a new model every few years to keep the money ticking over. There are exceptions to this out there but you’ll find you will be paying through the nose for the longevity, Wolf kitchen products from the USA are a prime example. Built to last but can pay almost $20k for a freestanding cooker - they are based on commercial kitchen products though so will take a beating before packing it in lol.
Our choices when buying whitegoods or other home items now are limited - you basically have to buy at average price knowing you will be replacing it every few years, or do research and pay premium for a brand that will last up to a decade or more.

We have a F&P clothes dryer which I had waited years to get (due to finances) and has been going strong for 10 years now. It has had 1 fault (in the last year), which was repaired quickly and wasn’t overly expensive. We don’t use our clothes line (it needs replacing), so most of our washing goes through this dryer - it gets a lot of use!

However my parents had a set of the F&P dishdrawers in their house when they bought it and they had nothing but trouble. They ended up removing them and replacing them with a cheaper dishwasher. So I think the comment above about it being hit and miss is probably pretty right.

We have a 10-year-old LG fridge and were happy enough with it that we bought a LG washing machine last year (which has one annoying limitation, but is otherwise excellent so far). Our dishwasher is a German-built Bosch and is good too. We were told the previous year’s model had been built in Turkey and was pretty terrible in comparison. We have been fairly lucky to avoid major faults with our appliances (so far). :smile:

Good luck with the front load LG. My front load washer dryer LG has has so far 2 pumps, 1 fan, front tub, rear tub, spider arm and bearings replaced over 6 years. 3 months ago I had to repair the front panel circuit board as all the buttons failed and there was corrosion due to inadequate circuit board coating which is not very expensive to do. Replacement parts are no longer available for most parts. Interesting how they rate the spin cycles for 1400rpm and the bearing specs are rated for 1000rpm max. I now never run faster than 1000rpm. If I was not fixing it myself I would have scrapped it many years ago.

1 Like

We have F&P gas cooktop (10yrs), oven (10yrs) and top load washing machine. (12yrs) and all have been reliable. Only problem was fan forced element failing after 7 years but eady to replace. A little rust on the washing machine enclosure at the base.

Find genuine and non-genuine F&P parts easy to find and reasonable price
unlike other less popular brands.

1 Like

Must admit, I love my F&P oven, my F&P dryer and my brand new F&P washing machine. Found the after sales service to be excellent too.

Have you noticed most posts stating that they having no trouble with their Fisher and Paykel, usually are people who bought a Fisher and Paykel when it was made in NZ or even Australia, many years ago. 8, 10 12 years. When I looked at some Fisher and Paykel white goods just recently most were made in China.

Yes I did say made in Australia, my Fisher and Paykel washing machine was made in Australia, 10 years ago. I only gave it to my sister in law as I wanted a more power and water efficient Front Loader

1 Like

I have brought F&P washing machines and clothes dryers for 20 years now and they have been brilliant. Could not be happier. Only issue I have had was with a F&P dishwasher that was installed and we then rented the place to some Chiefs who did not use it very ofter and seals dried out. Not the problem of F&P but the user.

Based on my experience I stick with a brand I am happy with and F&P is such a brand. Love F&P products.:grinning:

1 Like

F&P are owned by Hiar since 2012. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%26_Paykel.

1 Like

CHOICE conducts a product reliability survey each year and the results are available online as well as in CHOICE magazine. You can see the reliability score alongside the test result scores.

1 Like

Mine also has the Problem with the control
Problems started at about three years old and The technician thought it wasn’t worth spending over $200 to replace the power board. I will look for a different brand next time

1 Like

With so many breakdowns perhaps you can advise on quality of F & P repair service.
it looks good as presented in the webpage with clear cost (flat rate $135 + cost of parts).
have you tried it?
Any feedback?

1 Like

Generally their repair service is OK. However it did take one month to get the dishwasher repaired because they had it marked in their records as “repair completed” after their first visit when they did not have a spare part. The smaller older refrigerator did not get repaired (although I got charged for the call out) because a very expensive electronics board would need replacing.They have never volunteered that a repair should be at no charge because it’s a design fault or similar.

2 Likes

My six year old F and P washing machine got blocked when I accidentally washed a very small piece of cloth that got clogged in the works. I thought the service was slow: had to wait eight days after I made the initial call, which was inconvenient of course. .No complaints about the service once they came: right on time and efficient/knowledgable. Washing machine now purring: I have the impression that F and P applicances are reliable. Would like faster service though.

1 Like

Scott, it seems from posts all over the internet as well as limited personal experience, older appliances were built to much higher standards than modern ones. Planned obsolescence and building to a price have taken their toll. In other cases companies just release buggy products to get market share and fix them when (if!) they can (esp electronics) and the early buyers can have nightmare experiences.

Reliability statistics are only useful if they bin responses into time frames that reflect a company’s current position in the market, QA, service, etc. It is unlikely a 20 year old fridge has any bearing on a 2016 model but a 0-5 year old one likely would. I am aware of brands with top reputations that went down hill after changes in ownership, some that decided to license their brands making it complex to understand what they truly are, and others who build very fine products but no parts once the warranty period expires after the end-of-selling date so any failure can result in a “top quality expensive throw-away”.

I suggest those aspects are worth a few words even if only in introductory remarks to any quality presentation.

2 Likes

Our reliability survey articles generally ( I say generally because I haven’t found the time to check each and every one of them :sweat_smile:) explain how the survey was conducted and how the results are interpreted and presented, taking the age of the models into account. I’m not sure if you are referring directly to CHOICE presentations, or just in general terms.

1 Like

It was mostly a generalisation but the way Choice aggregates satisfaction and reliability into a single number each in ratings makes what it really, really means somewhat opaque, but I’ll accept it is probably the most reasonable and practical presentation for the typical reader.

1 Like

MY F&P top load washing machine and front load drier are well over 10 years old and have never given any problems.

1 Like

Had a F&P dishwasher purchased new it did everything right (bar one thing) it was easy to load and unload nice and quiet when in use, but the thing it didn’t do very well was actually clean the dishes. Got a Dishlex (this was over 15 years ago) and it worked perfectly including actually cleaning the dishes until it simply wore out. Now have a Bosch that Choice recommended a few years back it is brilliant it washes the dishes quietly and efficiently with minimal power and water and even scrubs the baked-on pots and pans clean. Never going back to the average brand models.

1 Like

We’ve had two F&P Dishdrawer dishwashers and 2 F&P washing machines. Very happy with both. Like all modern appliances they have a limited lifespan and generally aren’t worth repairing. But they do the job well and seem quite reliable.

1 Like