Firefox Add-Ons broken(and fixed)

If anyone notices that their add-ons aren’t working in the last day or so, there is a reason and it should be fixed soon.

Mozilla had an intermediate signing certificate expire on the 4th of May 2019. It will be fixed and will require Mozilla to do it before these add-ons will function again in a normal Firefox browser.

Don’t delete the add-ons if you can avoid it. There are some workarounds that while not perfect will allow you to use any of the add-ons you need.

See the following article for some options to get your needed add-ons working until the fix is patched through:

7 Likes

None of the work-arounds mentioned on Bleeping Computer are especially good ideas. They all go against security best practice, and if you have another browser with the same addons you may want to just switch for the duration.

I am - gradually - moving to Firefox but have not yet moved most of my stuff and so am not enormously affected. Can’t imagine the web with ads enabled!

5 Likes

Firefox has a minimalist ad blocker so pages are not over the top with ads. Mozilla has to be Very Clever to both miss the certificate renewal AND publish misleading errors about corrupt .xpi files when one tries to install one. When one changes browsers it is usually one way, and these ‘minor oopsies’ tends to encourage ‘us’ to do so. At least until the next development crew does a similar crash and burn.

4 Likes

Mine seems to be working fine. Either way it doesn’t really bother me. The features built in to Firefox surrounding privacy are more important to me than ad blocking

4 Likes

Nothing yet but the fix is supposedly being rolled out for PCs. Surely it will come today. If not today tomorrow, or maybe the next day.

edit: about 30 minutes after enabling ‘allow firefox to install and run studies’ under security, the add-ons magically got re-enabled and are working. This is stated to be their interim ‘fix’ to get it out quickly for those willing to tick that box.

4 Likes

Once the fix is in place it appears you can untick the box to go back to no studies. To check if the fix has been applied you can type “About:studies” in the address bar without the quotes, then press enter/return and you should see two mentions of the xpi issue one will be verification timestamp and the other will start with “hotfix update”.

5 Likes

I had a quick look around for alternatives yesterday, but nothing appealed, so I left it as it was, hoping they’d fix it soon, and today Adblock etc are all working again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To close this thread, in addition to the above work-arounds to get add-ons back, 66.0.4 was rolled out overnight and resolves the ‘oops moment’.

4 Likes