Finding good batteries

There are several choice reviews about certain kinds of batteries; batteries for solar power storage, toy and device batteries and appliance batteries. I am interested in other possible uses of batteries and in the general questions of deciding which type fits a given purpose and how to determine value for money.

Let’s start with a case study and move on to generalities later. I need a battery to supply a fair whack of power away from the grid, 12V would do fine and such are commonly available, although you can get other voltages. My purpose is to provide power for a CPAP machine while camping or similar situations. You can buy ready-built systems for this but as observed in another thread anything to do with CPAP (rather like weddings) in this country is unaccountably expensive. My sums using the power consumption of the device and the duration required arrive at a capacity of some 30-40 Ah. I need a long slow discharge (deep cycle) not a high current discharge.

You can get lithium and other exotic batteries in that range, this is what the pre-packaged systems are built on. They are much lighter than lead but also much more expensive, even if just buying a battery and not paying the CPAP tax.

OTOH lead batteries seem to have come a long way. A lead battery in that capacity range is commonly used to power golf buggies, mobility scooters etc. They are readily available in a sealed package that does not require water top-up and is unlikely to leak unless grossly abused even if operated sideways. These are much cheaper than lithium but also heavier. Within this type there is a range technologies and of prices and weights for the same capacity.

My criteria for such a battery are; safety, reliability over a long useful life and cost effectiveness. I have been told that for lead batteries the heavier it is (for a given charge capacity) the better the quality. I have no idea if that is true.

So my primary question is: for this application how do I work out which is the best battery for me?

A secondary question is how do you make sense of the competing claims and warnings about how to charge, discharge, store and speak nicely to various kinds of batteries? How do you determine the best technology for a given purpose? An authoritative source for this kind of advice would seem valuable given the ever-growing number of machines that need batteries today.

5 Likes

Try this site:

It would seem if weight is not an issue the deep cycle Lead acid batteries are the way to go. If you are able to recharge it using some power generation (eg car, portable solar panel) you could go away for a substantial period. Of course if you had the means to recharge then a lighter option would be a lithium battery. For the worry about tipping then perhaps a sealed gel battery might be better as it can be used and stored in any orientation. The one problem with a Gel one is that it must be charged at a lower rate than other lead acid types so you can’t directly hook them up to your car to charge them, they need a voltage regulator to reduce the charge rate. Probably out of all of them the Gel type will be the best option as it will have the most capacity at the best price (bang for buck) and can be stored and used in any orientation.

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) are similar to Gel in that they are sealed and no spill but they must be kept upright to use them. These can be charged from your cars alternator, they may also be cheaper to buy than Gel. This would be the best choice after Gel.

Li ion types would be third choice but they will be much more costly for similar capacity to the other two.

https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/sealed-gel-batteries-c-2_205_2118.html

https://www.jaycar.com.au/power-batteries/rechargeable-batteries/sla-gel/c/0AC?sort=popularity-desc&q

Chargers that include some suitable for Gel cells:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=gel%20battery%20charger&q=gel%20battery%20charger%3Arelevance

4 Likes

I’ve gone with a big deep cycle battery (sealed/gel in a battery box. I used one from ‘Adventure Kings’ because it had ‘all the connectors’, who also sell a convenient 110 W rigid panel and regulators, though I went with a CTek 20A battery/panel to battery system and that same panel. Yet to use it in the field, but I know the battery will run a 20 L Engel fridge for over 50 hours - very different load profile though. I put the battery/case on the scales and it comes in just shy of 32 Kg. Looking forward to testing it all fully :slight_smile:

3 Likes