Feedback on Freeview

Just happened to quickly check Ten Smart TV app last night and it shows the dates associated with the program, including then it expires.

1 Like

It is useless, whenever I have gone to a commercial station it wants me to install their app so it is totally useless

I have absolutely no understanding of why people would contemplate using Freeview. What’s its purpose? I have a Fetch TV and an Apple TV, both of which deliver all catch-up services, and programs recorder on Fetch can be fast forwarded. I understand a feature of Freeview is that you can’t fast forward the ads. I watch no live commercial TV because of the ads, so if there’s a show I want to watch, then I record it first. Otherwise I watch on-demand services - Netflix, Stan and Amazon

4 Likes

One answer would be that not everyone has either a Fetch TV box or an Apple TV box. There is some benefit in simplicity in having just a TV - if it actually worked. :frowning:

3 Likes

Documentation I read on Freeview implies that it is the only service that delivers catch-up TV. My point in mentioning that I use both Apple TV and Fetch is that these devices also deliver catch-up TV.

2 Likes

That was the question you asked.

The answer is as @person points out:

Because it is free to use if their TV supports it. Fetch and Apple TV both require paying for something extra. Not everyone has the budget for or benefit of the other services you mention.

That they can’t fast forward past ads or avoid them is an aspect that they can’t do though they may wish to. By paying extra you can have that option and I agree that it is a benefit to many, but it still isn’t free just as those who use FreeviewPlus don’t pay cash but pay by watching ads. Thankfully the ABC still exists and we can watch shows there or on iView for free (well we pay taxes that support the ABC so not really free).

It really is a question of what a person’s budget will support that determines the service/s they use and why FreeviewPlus may appeal to some/a few/many.

4 Likes

Isnt it also true, though, that if they have Freeview on their TV, chances are they have a smart TV which means they will also have the catchup apps, and so not really need “Freeview”? Its a genuine question, my TV is dumb so I really dont know.

2 Likes

Perhaps the Freeview strategy is to encourage consumers to become more accustomed to seeking programming through a menu like interface or apps.

And in doing so wean us off simply pushing the channel buttons on the remote. Eg 2 to get the ABC, 10 to get Ten etc. something that will fail to work if a channel goes to online access only!

Yes, it’s a conspiracy theory. Happy to have others suggest otherwise.

1 Like

Sure they can install the Apps but that may also require an account you have to provide personal details for that some are hesitant to do eg SBS on Demand requires an account. ABC iView is account free and I guess a few others are (I don’t use beyond SBS and iView so can’t say for sure). Apps also lose function if you constantly don’t update your TV to keep them functioning (I mean buying a new TV).

FreeviewPus as far as I know if your TV is capable of it you don’t lose that function as your TV ages. The FreeviewPlus function also is just a couple of button pushes whereas the select TV channel apps eg SBS on Demand require starting an app for each individual channel from your App selection and then closing that app to move onto the next channel app.

As our Smart TV is not FreeviewPlus capable we rely on the Apps so I am only going by what I have read about the FreeviewPlus function and others may be able to correct me on any errors that may have been made.

Hmm. I thought it would be the same as on my AppleTV which still wants memberships. I dont mind joining sbs. The othrs tho, nope

1 Like

It might be worth mentioning exactly what Freeview, and its branded products, are.

Freeview is a marketing tool of the free-to-air broadcasters. It was developed to enable them to compete more effectively with subscription TV services such as Foxtel.

If you’re watching free-to-air digital television in Australia, that’s Freeview.

FreeviewPlus is the internet-enabled catch-up services. Each broadcaster has facilities to serve out their library to viewers, as part of FreeviewPlus. Regional affiliates may not have access to their primary broadcaster’s services for FreeviewPlus. You can check what is available in regional areas here: https://www.freeview.com.au/support

Without FreeviewPlus, devices like Fetch and AppleTV would not be able to provide catch-up.

Finally, Freeview FV is the streaming application for smartphones.

6 Likes

Thank you for the correction @ScottOKeefe, I have amended my posts to reflect the FreeviewPlus instead of just Freeview.

1 Like

Thank you @grahroll. I wasn’t seeking to correct, but I was worried that some might be at cross purposes in the discussion :sweat_smile:

Some years ago, I wrote a brief article ( which is no longer on the site ) about Freeview’s branding, especially that of the Freeview EPG, and why I thought it might lead to some confusion
 :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I understood but it was better to put it right than lead to more confusion. The way words and meanings so easily get changed it could easily lead to cross purpose discussions and often does.

The posts I was responding to seem from what they discuss to be talking about FreeviewPlus as per

&

So it was best I corrected my misused versions of the Freeview family to make it clear as to my meaning in postings.

REALLY? Wow. I had no clue.

1 Like

Use it on my ipad and appletv and it works ok. I hate the way some channels take you to their own app to view content, which i refuse to install.
The tv guide is very slow on our smart tv.

2 Likes

What I meant was that the sales pitch for Freeview enabled devices like TVs, is that iFV has catch up TV. I’m mentioning that there are many devices with full catch-up programs like iView, SBS on Demand, those from 7, 9 and10, Fetch, Apple TV among them. Add PlayStation, and no doubt Xbox, Telstra TV, etc. SO I’ll repeat the question. Why have Freeview?

One of difference with Freeview Plus/FV over using one of the apps or streaming via a desktop is that one can watch live TV (https://www.freeview.com.au/watch-tv). Live TV is currently not available through any of the other platforms and to have such a feature requires something containing a digital TV receiver.

This can be handy if one is in a household where the number of TV less than the number of viewers.

1 Like

I watch LiveTV on my AppleTV4. No antenna required. Most channels have Live over the internet these days - IPTV.

1 Like

I have a Freeview setup big screen TV but hardly ever use the catchup apps or TV guide. In fact I use the TV just as a display for video from my disk PVR and sound system for audio from same. In the early days of the great changeover to digital free to air, I rejected anything that had the Freeview label on it (especially PVRs) because they disallowed the remote control skip button and limited the fast forward speed. My primary goal of my TV watching exprience was to avoid ads!

3 Likes