February 2021 Food Challenge: What do you cook on the BBQ?

Potatoes (wrapped in foil)
Fried rice (on the side burner in a frypan with a side of chilli sauce)
Cookies (even heat distribution, on a baking tray at 180 deg C)
Tea/coffee (side burner again) at 100 deg C in a saucepan

3 Likes

Yes you are right
 I should have ‘fact checked’ like CHOICE does. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To provide some context, we have an original Weber Q which is 18 years old, and only use a grill (no hot plate). We cook basically any portion cuts (steaks, sausages, burgers, Atlantic salmon, chicken thighs etc), shaslicks, roasts, prawns and whole fish. I rarely use any marinade except for port ribs, chicken thighs and prawns. This is purely a personal/family choice. We also enjoy zucchini slices (lengthways) with a little olive oil on them, asparagus and halloumi slices (not too hot s BBQ!) and sometimes finish broccoli or cauliflower even. My wife has cooked scones on the Weber (we take it camping) - use 2 foil oven trays, one on top of the other as a lid. Our boys reckon they were the best scones ever! You can do eggs in a foil tray too if you don’t have a hotplate. I rarely use a thermometer except sometimes for a large roast like pork. A tip if you’re doing a rib roast - put foil on the bone tips. I used to think this was for show but nearly destroyed a roast one day because the bone caught on fire, which then caused chaos!
I’ve been cooking ham at Christmas for about 20 years and have used a Weber Smoky Mountain for the last few years. The ham is “green” as in un-cooked. Our butcher prepares it for us. I do use a meat thermometer for this as it takes around 8-10 hours at 120 degrees C. Also beef brisket, pulled pork, beef ribs in the smoker. You can also do portions like chicken thighs for a great flavour. Generally I use hickory to provide the smoke.
Finally, we still have our original Weber BBQ from about 1983 - almost exclusively used for charcoal grilling steaks, chicken portions and shaslicks.
And to GregCarman - I don’t reckon it really matters too much what sort of BBQ you might use because it is often the ambience and being with friends or family that really matters! That might sound a bit odd coming from someone who has 3 BBQ’s, but I think it is true.

4 Likes

We have a kettle BBQ bought from Aldi around 8 years ago and Char-Griller Charcoal Baskets bought from bunnings.
Besides grilling lamb, sausages etc, we find it best for tandoori chicken especially when grilled over lumpwood charcoal.

for best results marinate chicken drumsticks or thighs with bone in, overnight using the store bought tandoori marinade.
Fire up the BBQ and grill each side for less than 2 min over direct heat and char the meat.
Remove from direct heat, close the cover leaving the ventilator open and cook over indirect heat for 10 minutes each side.
Remove from BBQ. Wrap in foil and stand for 10
min.

3 Likes

I get where you are coming from. Grew up in Gateshead/Charlestown. Form Redhead on south able to see down the 9-mile beach to Swansea Channel into Lake McQuarrie.

Would surf and swim before school from in Summer. The morning is way the best time.

Suifficeint school friends had cars with racks for boards. Thgough I preferred body-surfing with a hadn-board!