Facebook Scam Advertisements

An article regarding warning of scams on Facebook Marketplace bu some victims.

https://www.support.com/blog/top-facebook-marketplace-scams-to-be-aware-of-13380

I have noticed an increasing number of advertisements on Facebook marketplace (only a new user) where used cars are advertised well below market value. A recent example was a 2014 Toyota Prado with low kms for $8000. When I saw the advertisement my immediate reaction was something was wrong with it (even though the description said it was in good working order and had service history)…thinking twice it would have been a scam.

Never buy or make payment for something without inspecting. Also never buy for anything using preferred payment methods of scammers…

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/01/how-scammers-make-you-pay

3 Likes

If it sounds too good to be true?

2 Likes

When it looks like it is, there is something seriously wrong with it or it is a scam.

2 Likes

A reminder about FB Purity. There is currently a bit of a battle between FBP and FB, but it makes FB at least tolerable. A post that introduced it…

4 Likes

Another article warning regarding Facebook quiz scams.

2 Likes

WELL, my choice membership pays it’s way again.

Recently I saw a miniature printer/engraver being displayed on FACEBOOK. Was $29.99 so it looked like it ran on a computerised program.The advertising video spoke of an attachment to allow for larger items and the video demonstrated the same.

Chose to buy it…However at checkout it was $29.99 US…The plot thickens. I hadnt heard from the seller for about ten days, and I got an email stating that “Printer and Cutter set” were being dispatched from China.
Approximately 7 days later my, “MY post account” has an item from a “top logistics” Australia. 3 days later the item was delivered ! After unwrapping the item it was a Handheld -Battery operated pen engraver. NO PRINTING option or “Cutter option”. Luckily I used Paypal to pay for the item so I contacted their customer service and lodged a dispute. After 10 days the Seller offers a partial refund of $14.00US . I promptly contacted paypal - who stated that as the seller was an international seller, I was governed by consumer laws of their country.
I immediately requested to speak to a supervisor. The item was dispatched by a 3rd party company in Australia “ROYALWAY - MOUNTAIN GATE”. I reminded the supervisor that "if a company acts on behalf of a seller “outside” of Australian Jurisdiction, that they are responsible and liable for ensuring that the items they supply meet all compliance and Australian Standards -under Australian Consumer Law. And that if Paypal did not enforce this matter, I would proceed to lodge a complaint with the ACCC as this was decpetive and misleading conduct. Paypal thanked me for my information and immediately granted a FULL REFUND. I got an email from the company requesting I return the item. I advised them It would be forwarded to Consumer Affars - Victoria. They would recieve a letter of “Non Compliance and they would be able to accept the returned item in person at that time”. It’s been a month and I have heard nothing, although my Paypal account has been credited the amount requested!
JUST ANOTHER REASON a choice membership pays for it’s self THANK YOU CHOICE

6 Likes

Brilliant and well done to you! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Another article regarding a seller who wants to warn others regarding his experience.

been using FBP for years, its been brilliant. FB might not like it but I notice they don’t shut its page down… they arent stupid, they know it was just a name change. They change the code often enough for it to be seriously annoying though. And there is nothing like it for iOS devices :frowning:

1 Like

Over a month ago I bought on line a pet grooming kit
From company advertising on Facebook general feed Pup2 Go Australia. One item in packaging was not included. I have sent over 7 email messages to this business with not one reply. There is no other way of contact.
Any information about this business would be appreciated. They present as an Australian business but now I’m not so sure. Very disappointed

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Sandy.

If you paid by card or other payment facility that does charge-back then apply for one for the value of the missing item, that ought to get their attention.

3 Likes

There isn’t much info on the company. There is a Canadian company called Pet2Go (www.pet2go.com), which may be coincidence…or the same business you bought from. The domain for the Canadian company has been taken offline. The company Facebook page has some posts indicating they are uncontactable which suggests may be the same company. Not a good sign to get a resolution.

BTW, what item was missing? I’ll guess to see if I am right, the clippers and attachments? Accessories were sent to you. If this is the case, it could be the mojo of a scammer…where they send something of little value to delay the opportunity to be hit with a payment dispute. When you receive the item, the dispute period has expired.

I see the only payment methods they accept are Google Pay, PayPal and ShopPay. You will need to see if you can raise a payment dispute with the payment method you used. I wouldn’t hold your breath with success.

Looking at their website you bought from, it says there is low stock (6) but this number hasn’t changed even though there are popups saying more has been sold. Suspicious. The website follows that of a sham/scam whereby details, including contacts, are scant, it uses the name of a company that used to exist and uses FOMO tactics to try an force quick sales.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for all the information I shall try to stop my final payment

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sandy68.

I have moved your post to another existing relevant thread. Please have a read of the proceeding posts to know that you are not alone.

On a more general level, be VERY wary of Facebook advertisements. It would seem that FB advertising is one of the current happy hunting grounds for scammers. Always check the bona-fides of advertisers elsewhere as @phb did BEFORE you consider ordering anything. Only order after you are satisfied that the business behind the ad is legitimate.

2 Likes

This is still a regular one. There are routine reports of people being similarly scammed.

2 Likes

Thank you for this information, much appreciated

2 Likes

In response to calls from some our political leadership wants to regulate or control FaceBook. We are regularly warned of the dangers of scams or responding to unsolicited content. But Social Media continues to provide pathways that can lead to misfortune.

In response to another set of needs our political leadership has embraced social media with open arms attempting also to woo us to their pathway.

Fortunately the advice that content provided on Facebook and other social media sources cannot be relied upon, or trusted seems universal and well founded. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it?

2 Likes

ASIC and others,

Australia’s major banks are fighting a push from regulators to force them to refund billions of dollars lost in online scams, arguing requirements to bear the costs of internet fraud could create complacency among consumers and lead to even more losses.

One very obvious point raised is that the banks ask for the Payees Account name for EFTs, but do nothing with it to verify it matches the account/business.

Meanwhile in the UK,

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03/confirmation-of-payee-which-banks-are-ready-to-offer-vital-name-checking-service/

And is it effective?

https://www.psr.org.uk/media/ktonkca3/psr-rp21-1-confirmation-of-payee-response-paper-oct-2021.pdf

2 Likes

I would dispute this as incorrect.
Whilst the sending side of an EFT cannot verify that the account and name details match, they can easily make both required fields.
My bank does.
The receiving side can easily verify that the account and name details match and reject the EFT if they don’t match.
My experience with EFTs over the years is that at least the big Australian banks are doing account and account name checking. I have had some rejections when I have made a typo, or more typically the party I was transferring to gave me the wrong account name for named account number.
I make it a habit now when dealing with someone new to send a ‘pilot’ EFT through for $1 to verify the details. Only send the rest once verified.