Fabulon 'Linen Breeze' - but not for linen?

Mrs Pineapple got some fabulon to starch her nice new linen pants. Product is called ‘Fabulon Linen Breeze’. But when we look at the back of the label we read in the instructions “Do NOT use on linen fabric”.

Totally confused here. Why would a “can’t use on linen” product be called “linen breeze” in the first place. Never heard of a linen wind either.

cheers skip

5 Likes

What ridiculous product name decided by the marketing boffins.

Maybe if you use it on linen, it turns it into a breeze…a puff of dust blowing in the wind. OR linen is a breeze to starch…which is what initially thought when I read the label.

If you bought it specifically to starch linen, I would try and take it back for a refund at the place of purchase. The product name ‘linen breeze’ could easily be misleading and give the impression it is for linen.

4 Likes

A linen fabric garment will get rumpled no matter what, it’s the essence and the charm of Linen, shows it’s the real ‘expensive’ thing.

But why shouldn’t you spray and iron it if you so wished :thinking:

4 Likes

Table cloths, napkins, some things just need to be perfect in the Officers Mess. :wink:

I wonder if the advice ‘Do not use on linen’ is due to damage the product might cause to the fabric, or that it is not effective when used on linen. The more honest advice might then be:

• May cause damage to linen fabrics,
  • Does not work on linen fabrics.

Either of these statements might cause consumers to wonder if the product is safe or suitable to use on any other fabric.

Evading the whole truth, nothing new in the grubby world of media and marketing. Worthy of a PMs pick for brilliance of communication. In the interim a great contender for a more respected Choice Shonky.

2 Likes

Y’all are failing to think like a marketeer. Linen means a fibre derived from the flax plant but also the type of fabric or garments such as bed linen or ‘linens’ being ones small clothes (unmentionables) that at some times have been made from linen the fibre. With sufficient verbal facility and agility you can infer which of the two linens is intended throughout the advertising blurb and the whole problem of non-linen linen goes away.

It’s easy really if you are wanting to use the association of clean, cool, hard wearing etc that goes with the fibre, without having the fibre, and the same freshness that is associated with ‘breeze’ without having the breeze. We are not being sold a product with certain capabilities we are being sold a feeling, a set of associations, nothing so concrete just as heart warming. Geddit?

3 Likes

FWIW. A friend tells me that because linen fabric is not very elastic (therefore it wrinkles so easily) repeated creasing, especially with starch,
would tend to break the threads.

General linen items such as tablecloth,
napkins, etc. can also be made of ‘linen
fabric’. And the ‘linen breeze’ probably means the fresh smell of line-dried laundry. Except linen fabric laundry? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

“Linen Breeze” refers to the smell of the product NOT its usage. There are a few “linen” named laundry products usually also in predominantly blue/white bottles much like ‘ocean breeze’ and the like! I did a quick check online and couldn’t find any starch that didn’t exclude use on linen! You could always do a test section in a small area that doesn’t show. Or look for powdered starch that you put in the final rinse. You may find this blog on the subject interesting http://vettycreations.com.au/white-threads/2016/08/31/starching-linen-fabric/

2 Likes