Extend the life of cut flowers

Dusted the back of the fridge.
Cleaned the top of the pelmets.
Glass surfaces and mirrors are sparkling.
But I feel my place need a bit more:
a vase or two of flowers?

Don’t have a garden, and at 20 to 95 dollars a bunch I’d want my flowers to be a bit long lasting.
I usually just change the water every day, but was wondering if anyone has
any good tips to extend the life of cut
flowers? :rose::bouquet:

6 Likes

Do you cut the ends off the stalks when you change the water?

Also, florists sometimes provide a sachet of “food” with cut flowers to feed them so as to extend their life.

4 Likes

What about a couple of indoor plants instead? Or - a selection of good quality silken flowers/dried flowers, so you can change the display occasionally…

6 Likes

Yes, had forgotten about that!
Wonder what’s in it, maybe I could copy. :thinking:

4 Likes

I do have an Aspidistria which I’ve managed not to kill, and silken arrangement for winter.
It’s spring, I need fresh flowers :grinning:!
image|375x500

4 Likes

Trying again to upload image.
This are my artificial flowers.

5 Likes

They look great! A friend of mine was gifted a moth orchid a couple of years ago - it comes back each year… “This is a gift that keeps giving. Not only do the plants flower for a long period, they keep on growing and flowering.”
https://www.flowerpower.com.au/garden-advice/gardening/phalaenopsis-orchids/

And a DIY recipe for your fresh flowers -

5 Likes

So those are the flowers in your avatar.

Certainly saves on cleaning up the pollen from real Asian lillies.

3 Likes

Another option…

Get ones that dry well like statice, proteas, banksias, everlasting daisies,paper daisies or others. These can easily be dried immediately after their purchase and can give many months, if not years, of enjoyment…

While I am not a fan of synthetic/artificial flowers, there are some very good ones on the market which are very hard to distinguish visually from the real deal (when one touches them the allusion quickly disappears). These might also be an option as they will stay the same colour for years providing they are not in contact with UV light.

6 Likes

Here’s some hints from the Cut Flower Industry:

http://www.cutflowers.net.au/cut-flower-care/

4 Likes

some good/bad tips here https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/gardening/gardening-flowers/keep-cut-flowers-fresh.

In a former life I have used Chlorhexidine solution 0.02 to 0.05% with mixed results.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea, we don’t buy cut flowers, but sometime get them from guests. The last lot lasted nearly a week with a sachet of food and cut stems. We were also given an orchid (in a small pot). I transferred it to a larger self-watering pot and placed it in one of our bathrooms where it gets a lot of light. It is still going strong after quite a long time and it looks great. Only have to refill the water on the first of each month and spray some fertiliser on it every couple of weeks. Much better value and less depressing than seeing the cut flowers die so quickly. I’ve noticed our local Woolies sells many varieties of orchids s if we had to get flowers for someone, i’d go for one of them rather than cut flowers.

4 Likes

I have fresh flowers pretty much all the time in my house. I buy them usually from the flower markets or sometimes regular markets so they are definitely fresh to start with. Having said that, supermarket prices are often so cheap that it is worth getting but I never, ever buy ready made bunches from any of these places.
I buy 2 or sometimes 3 different types of flowers and arrange them myself. For instance, buying white lilies (oriental, I think) completely in bud, will last for weeks. If you add a bunch of some filler flower which is inexpensive, it looks good right from the start.
Generally speaking, I look for types that last well in a vase. I do however, lash out for the short time in Spring that both iceland poppies are available despite their short livedness (tip, don’t buy open flowers) and also sweet peas.
I used to have a big, country garden but now have a small inner city one. My husband regularly cycles to the markets and buys them for me. He reckons he gets enough brownie points to last until the next weekend!

3 Likes

I love fresh flowers but in heat waves, even with the best of care, they aren’t the wisest purchase. I look for bargains on citrus and buy enough to fill my IKEA white metal table basket. It’s cheerful and long lasting.

2 Likes

Welcome @Linda-Kay

That sounds like a lovely idea, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes