Experts sound alarm on electricity demand tariffs

When I installed solar,the first year was good. Then I was advised my plan was going to be charging Demand pricing. Looking at the complicated method used I sensed I was about to be screwed. Sure enough my latest bill has doubled even though we are using less power than the matching period last year.It is nothing but an outrageous rort. I can’t afford a battery on top of what I have already outlaid. One would think it would make economic sense to heavily subsidise batteries and save on the extra transmission lines they would not need to build.

2 Likes

Re the ‘how (or why) is this legal’ question, and the answer that it has been 'agreed by [stakeholders] government and suppliers, it demonstrates whose interests governments look out for as job 1.

I suspect they are lobbied on a daily basis that top profits are necessary to provide reliable services, and they salute the argument.

1 Like

Not quite on topic but have just received a missive from our electricity retailer advising fee structure to apply from 1Aug2024 where they state, based on past usage, our estimated annual costs will increase by 36%. And Albanese and Bowen both claim power prices are falling. Complete liars, the pair of them.
We are with Globird Energy but by tonight will have a different provider.

2 Likes

Not every house can take advantage of VPPs. If you have medical equipment at the house and use a battery (battery being necessary to a VPP), then you can’t be part of a VPP as the battery is considered to be needed as a backup to the medical equipment’s power needs. So there are some and I would suggest an increasing number of households that cannot be part of a VPP. We cannot be part of a VPP because of this requirement, we would love to be part of one. So yes it would be better, but harder to implement because of the current,and probably sensible, rules around them.

Community batteries may offer a hope of getting more households to share their excess power and become part of a local VPP, have a battery and/or a community battery would ensure a great deal less reliance on the larger grid supply and much more resilience and certainty of power supply even in larger grid outages if power generators have failed

2 Likes

This is difficult to put in context without knowing your consumption and production details etc. In particular, if you have a PV system then it is very easy to experience wild percentage increases even in the face of small changes to FIT

e.g. let’s say you receive a FIT of 12¢/kWh and your net annual bill is $20

then the FIT falls to 10¢/kWh and your net annual bill soars to $150

an increase of 650% !!!

1 Like

It is a real number. I’ve built a spreadsheet containing 3 years of consumption and generation data in 30 minute slices which I use to compare offerings at this time of the year in particular. In our case the estimated increase is solely due to consumption charges. Its all a bit academic now since I’ve change supplier (today) with only a slight increase in rates.