Experiences with Amazon

Tell me about your “very good” experience with this behemoth monster and I will donate Bezos’s one-way space walk ticket.

For some buys there are very good deals, the streaming service for us has been very good.

I know there are very satisfied customers, so my question is for what experience or experiences are you referring to. If all of them I think you might find your offer would be met and your 1/2 way donation could be expensive… I did see the one way spacewalk offer :grinning:

If there is a specific problem, if you let us know what that issue is then you may get better answers.

4 Likes

I find Amazon Australia to be a sad overhyped excuse for an online merchant with ridiculous prices in many cases, lots of goods from the USA with commensurate shipping charges and incompatibilities, BUT my US resident daughter is a Prime member, she is a regular customer, the US prices are usually very sharp and the delivery service brilliant. I regularly buy her things via her account.

Since you did not specify Amazon Australia, just ‘this behemoth monster’ please send the ticket :laughing:

6 Likes

The monster has many heads, some are good and some not.

I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited where I can read as many e-books as I like for $12-99 per month. The list is not their entire stock but it is very extensive. Delivery is painless and reliable, I can be reading at night and finish my current book and decide I want another, at the touch of a button it arrives seconds later without getting out of bed.

I read 2 to 4 books a week so that’s about $1 each. The price to buy e-books outright is about $3 - $20, paperbacks can be $15-$40 new in hard copy. Hard cover … I am way in front with the Amazon deal.

4 Likes

Year ago, the wealthy had fast (super) cars, launches/sail boats and maybe helicopters/small jets as their toys. Looks like as the developed world has become more affluent and more can afford these luxuries, they need to find new more expensive toys to demonstrate their financial success and difference. Grandiose and excessive?

4 Likes

I take it you refer to the tourist Space Flight and I must agree, the amount spent on going so high for such a brief period is astounding and could it be said an obscene waste of many things including money.

5 Likes

I buy Kindle books and have long used Amazon AWS (their compute cloud system), but haven’t ever really bought anything off them aside from those.

4 Likes

I do my best to avoid Amazon for ethical reasons. On more than one occasion though I’ve found they’re the only place to get certain books/ebooks. Their platform is good and easy to use at least.

7 Likes

What kind of consumption could be more conspicuous than your own rocket ship?

New, flashy, loud, expensive, exclusive and generates a headline every time it releases hot gases.

No I wasn’t thinking of an ex-president but a personal rocket.

4 Likes

My main use of Amazon is for the Streaming service. I read a lot of books but prefer to access the public library via Axis360, or Borrowbox. There are many free libraries as well. I sometimes use Prime Reading and amazon Music, but not as much as streaming. The cost of access is about half what you pay for Netflix and it includes a lot of useful stuff. Buying from Amazon is fraught if you don’t know what the market is selling for, but I have bought a few things last year when I was unable to acquire at the supermarket. TP and tissues.

3 Likes

I am a Amazon Prime member and I am very happy with this “Behemoth Monster”.

I agree the prices on the Australian Amazon website did not live up the hype surrounding their arrival in Australia and many people were dismayed by the pricing.

Over time I have found that prices on Amazon are improving, but you must always be prepared to dig around and compare prices with their online rivals.

There are many good bargains available on their US website but the postage costs are exorbitant.

So I very much appreciate having the free delivery on eligible orders over $49 shipped from Amazon international stores.

On the Australia website there is also Fast, free delivery on millions of items, no minimum order threshold and 2 business day delivery is available to nearly 90% of Australians.

If you find an item you purchase on a regular basis you can get up to an extra 15% discount with the Subscribe & Save discount option.

This is can help with big heavy items like 10kg bags of cat litter that are purchased on a regular basis, I am a senior citizen and this minimises manhandling of these items which has become increasingly difficult as I have arthritis and physical strength problems.

Prime membership also includes Prime Reading with 1,000 free Kindle books which keep me entertained when using public transport or when I just want to relax and unwind.

There is also Prime Music with 2 million songs, ad-free.

As an Amazon Prime member, you have access to their big annual Prime day sales and Exclusive Deals and offers just for Prime members on a ongoing basis.

I enjoy Prime Video and if you subscribe to a Amazon Prime yearly subscription for $59 which equates to approximately $4.91 per month it is the cheapest streaming service, plus you get all the other advantages of being a Amazon Prime member.

For $59 per year or approximately $4.91 per month I would be happy to pay that small amount for the Prime Video service alone.

Your Amazon Prime membership is set up to automatically renew each year, but you have the option to have a reminder sent to you 3 days before it renews. I you do not wish to continue your membership you can cancel at anytime.

I feel that when you consider all the perks of being a Amazon Prime member I get great value and and I am very satisfied.

6 Likes

Me too, but I periodically feel guilty when I know how poorly Bezos treats his employees, and then builds a spaceship just because he can.

3 Likes

The few times I have ever had an issues with any product or service I have purchased from Amazon, it was swiftly and completely addressed in a very satisfactory manner. Their customer service is VERY good!

As far as price goes, Amazon does not automagically give you the best price on an item, so it always pays to checkout the market for an item… so it is no different from any other seller, online of bricks & mortar, in that respect.

For some products, like Senseo coffee pods, which the original Australian marketers (Mocona/Phillips) stopped supplying years ago, the Amazon offers (from the Netherlands) are so much lower, and the use-by dates so much better, than any Senseo pod available in Australia.

For me, during the COVID lockdown, Amazon Prime membership has delivered both entertainment and very quick/reliable shopping experiences that have definitely sustained a quality of life which would otherwise been somewhat dismal, so I have no issues at all with what the CEO chooses you do with his money.

2 Likes

I am a Prime member and extremely satisfied. I use the streaming service, Kindle books and occasionally music. I always check prices and often Amazon is cheapest. Most things have free postage. I have even used the US free postage to buy jigsaws and other things. At under $5 per month it is a real bargain. Complaints are always handled promptly and to my complete satisfaction.

2 Likes

A long dormant topic but an experience worth a mention.

A family member in the US is a long time Prime member. She unexpectedly ended up with a Music subscription for $USD9.99 a month. Even experienced Amazon customers can unintentionally fall into their clever ‘tick boxes’ to sign up for this or that. She cancelled it using the Amazon App and wrote off the initial charge as her ‘oops’.

A month later the subscription charge occurred again. She checked her app and it showed she had in fact cancelled the subscription a month back. She then logged into her online account and the subscription was shown as still active. She cancelled it there (again) and started a dispute, outcome TBD.

Amazon customers should beware that their app and account information might not be in sync and to check their online account not just the app account information for any anomalies, eg unexpected subscriptions to Amazon this or that.

4 Likes

I don’t use the app at all. Not for that reason but I find using the website more useful in finding what I want, rather than what Amazon thinks I should want.

1 Like