CHOICE membership

Experience with LG after purchasing a brand new dishwasher

Less than 3 weeks ago I purchased an LG dishwasher from Appliances Online. I installed it correctly, ran through the test ‘rinse’ run and did a full load of dishes. All was good. Long story short, over the next few days it began filling with water, without any use. I contacted Appliances Online who said that they would organise someone to take a look and that if the dishwasher was found to have a fault they would replace my dishwasher. A technician attended and together we discovered that not only was the base of the machine filling with water, there was almost an inch of water in the electronics underneath!

Whilst the technician was looking at my dishwasher I contacted Appliances Online and he verified it was a faulty valve. The technician then told me that I was lucky to purchase the dishwasher through Appliances Online because if I had purchased it through LG they would simply replace the faulty part. I received a call from the repair company today wanting to arrange the replace the part. I get my new replacement dishwasher in a few days.

I would expect a machine a year or so old to have a faulty part replaced, but a machine a week old, with a serious fault (and a potential hazard from water ingress in the electronics) - no way! Maybe someone needs to have a chat with LG about their obligations to consumers.

I very much doubt that would be the case. You can’t really review how a company handles issues if you haven’t actually even been in contact with them.

I often find that kind of stuff is ‘official’ policy that gets handed out to staff and contractors but if you actually get in touch with customer support they’re more than happy to go beyond that

LG Customer Support told me to contact Appliances Online. The technician who attended was from Mr Dishwasher.

Hi Trixie

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have had such a bad experience with your new dishwasher.

The ACCC website is a good place to start to find out about your consumer rights in relation to major and minor faults.

From that page,
If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund. When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for your choice of a replacement or refund.” (bolding is mine)

From the ACCC page, "A product or good has a major problem when:

• it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it is significantly different from the sample or description
  • it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
  • it doesn’t do what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time; or
  • it is unsafe."

You are relying on the last point for wanting a replacement. I can see your concern, but if the dishwasher is unplugged and the faulty valve is replaced (and the electronics dried out) the machine should then be completely safe and not leak again. Therefore, in my opinion it could be argued you only have a minor fault, so the Appliances Online is entitled to repair if they so choose.

If the machine is repaired a couple of times and is still faulty, you then have a case for a major fault. At the moment, I think you need to let them fix it and see if it works properly. If it does, then all is well. If not call them out again.

You should always contact the retailer if there is a problem. Only contact the manufacturer if the retailer is not providing you with the assistance you require.

Again from the ACCC: “The retailer who sold you the product or service cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you will only be entitled to recover costs from them, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss. You cannot demand a repair, replacement or refund from the manufacturer.” (bolding is mine)

If you feel that you do want to proceed with a complaint, have a look at the Choice templates and use them as a guide.

Unfortunately, there are possibly no products made that don’t have some level of failure. When humans are involved in the design, manufacture, handling and distribution, there will always be faults which will arise. While it would be nice if everything we bought was infallible, to do such would be either cost prohibitive (as components would need to be over engineered/designed and every product manufactured would need to go through stringent quality and operational testing)… Such an approach would possibly result in products which seem ‘old technology’ as manufacturers would be more reluctant to test new technologies in the marketplace.

Manufacturers realise this and is why they offer a manufacturers warranty and the Australian Consumer Law also has its own warranty obligations which override that of the manufacturer.

Unfortunately it appears that you have purchased/received a dishwasher which has a faulty valve. Hopefully the replacement one proves to be more reliable that the first one you received.

It does leave a bad taste in ones mouth when something like this happens, but unfortunately, it is very common occurrence.

Sorry to hear about this issue with a brand new dishwasher Trixie. Hope it’s resolved to your satisfaction.

I don’t believe the technician has been entirely truthful, as it is not possible to purchase a dishwasher direct from LG. LG will refer you to a retailer that stocks their appliances.

When I read @Trixie’s complaint I didn’t think she was unsatisfied by the service from Appliances Online

But I think the complaint was that the repairer referred to LG’s possible service/response to the situation may have only been the replacement of the valve. EDIT: As LG correctly referred @Trixie to AO re the fault it is hard to raise an issue with them based on what amounts to hearsay or secondhand comment whether they would have just replaced the valve or not.

Of course I may have misread the post and my assumptions could be incorrect and if so then I am sure @Trixie can respond and clarify as needed.

Thanks for your responses. At the time, I contacted LG and was referred back to Appliances Online, whom I purchased the dishwasher from.

Had I had the dishwasher for a few months and it had worked properly before the fault developed I would have agreed with accepting a replacement valve and drying the machine out. However, as it was only a week old I was not prepared to do this. Fortunately Appliances Online offered to replace my faulty dishwasher with a brand new one. I have purchased other appliances through Appliances Online and always had excellent service from them.

I have had my replacement dishwasher for nearly 4 weeks and I am very happy with it. I have also written a favourable comment reviewing the dishwasher I purchased.

The option of accepting a new valve if indeed the water leak had flooded the electronics would never be a reliable warranty fix given what has been described here.

How would you know that any component that suffered immersion would not have been affected? The shortened future life might become an issue with subsequent warranty.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication from the service rep here? Our previous LG dishwasher, and current Miele have all the electronics in the top of the door. I’ve previously had to repair a F&P drawer unit. That design has the same layout.

The dishwasher manufacturers do their best to keep the water and electricity separate. It makes little sense and would be extrembly hazardous if the bottom of the dishwasher could collect and hold water around any of the electrical and or electronic components.

There are a number of solenoid valves, sensors/switches and a pump under or near the base of a typical DW, but no electronic circuitry.

It makes an intriguing repair story. :smiley:

Our AEG dishwasher has a small amount of electronics lower down but most is electrical such as you describe pumps etc.