Exorbitant shipping costs from FEDEX

I started to purchase two beauty products from the USA until I got to the postage due page, The products cost $50 and the shipping was quoted at $250 !!!

1 Like

It is possibly express airfreight which is the most expensive way to ship items.

Did they have cheaper and slower options. Many businesses do, but if they are mainly set up for US domestic consumers, it is possible that Fedex rates in the US for express postage are reasonable and why they may only use their services. This impacts on foreign customers, as the international freight is expensive.

1 Like

Hello, can I send you screen shots? the only shipping options are

• FedEx (International Economy) $256.81
  • FedEx (International Priority) $286.33
    Deb
1 Like

You can use the Windows snipping tool or take a screen shot (device dependent on the details to take and crop it if necessary) and you can then copy and paste it into the editing window. You can also upload graphic files via the upload tool atop the editing window image

1 Like

f4ab92d8514234463704a80312fa0805e6440bf4_2_690x432

I used to buy items from the US over a decade ago using MyUS.com which used to be very good as they had discounted freight rates.

Items including joggers from Running Warehouse were cheaper to have shipped to Cairns from California via Florida with MyUS.com than direct from Running Warehouse.

I would order make-up for my daughter and many other items and MyUS.com would consolidate the orders and discard unnecessary packaging to minimise shipping costs.

It was also very useful for dealing with retailers who would not ship internationally and for brands that retailers were not allowed to ship internationally.

I have not used them for the past decade as we no longer have a requirement.

As for Running Warehouse, if ever there was a case of unbridled greed, it was them.

Arouind a decade ago, they started their Australian operation with a limited range and much higher prices that their US operation, at which point they refused to ship to Australia from the US and even blocked access to their US website.

It presumably blew up in their face as the US website is again accessable and even states that they ship to Australia, and the Australian website prices are in the ballpark with the US website prices after allowing for GST.

PS. Thanks for nothing, Gerry Harvey.

4 Likes

@debera

You might check strawberrynet to see if they have the products you seek. They are an excellent source for cosmetics. The partner has been ordering from them for years. Customer service is tops.

Sometimes it is better to walk than wonder why… alternatively you could contact Swisa online and query about their shipping options via the email provided on their web site.

4 Likes

I would be very cautious about buying online any cosmetics from overseas. There are many reports of fake cosmetics being sold to unsuspecting buyers. The risks increase with overseas transactions as the sellers know that the likely recourses the seller has is very limited. Even the website you indicated above has some less than desirable posts online about fake products…here is one example…

There is also risks that they may contain ingredients which would not be allowed to be in products sold in Australia (to protect the health of Australians) or wouldn’t meet other Australian requirements:

It is very much buyer beware in relation to online cosmetic industry, and one needs to think whether it is worth the risks in order to potentially save a few dollars.

2 Likes

thank you very much for the suggestion. I did contact Swisa and they said to buy from EBay. I had a look and used my MyUs address and they posted the products to me for $40. Over $100 cheaper.

6 Likes

oh wow. !!!

4 Likes

I actually have a MyUs account and had the products sent to them and they are forwarding it for $40.

3 Likes

Bear in mind that the USA is literally on the opposite side of the planet to Australia. I buy products from the USA from time to time, & Fedex is by far the most expensive option, as it’s by far the fastest & most secure option. (I’ve had items take less than 3 days to get to Melb. from the USA via Fedex!) You should only use it for very expensive items you need in a desperate hurry, eg; in a business emergency.
Otherwise, I use USPS airmail, which is reasonably priced & generally takes around 2 weeks to get to Australia. When buying online always confirm shipping cost & time before giving your credit-card details.

4 Likes

Just shocking, You have learned now.

Some sites get everyone done with card and spring shipping after one agrees to buy. Be very careful with USA and I always read fine print if buying a cosmetic to be certain it’s definitely a one off purchase. I have been caught once.
I buy from Europe and Eastern Europe and the shipping is fine and timing too.
USA I not far although further if from east coast. I use EastBiz with a setup to collect a group of purchases then have the consolidated lot sent from Oregon.The shipping is better price.
I like DHL or auspost shipping from usa.

1 Like

Indeed. Very happy that we all got shafted by his whinging and now he gets to buy a bigger plane / more racehorses. Nothing like a few media bites to expand the bottom line, this must’ve been his biggest bang for buck business idea. I actually dislike him less for getting away with it than the Govt of the day for approving it. Of all the countries that need to have access to affordable goods from overseas we’d have to be up there given lack of local alternatives and distance.

1 Like

I have had success with items of all sizes though MyUS.com. Small items and even furniture. It’s easy and free to open an account with them. Essentially, what you do is shop and use the delivery address of MyUS (in Florida). They then onforward. You can consolidate items from several suppliers into one shipment to save even more.

1 Like

Hi Fred, I have an account with Myus and I think I’ll be using it more often. I bought the beauty products through them and the shipping went down from $250 to $40ish. What a shocker !!!

1 Like