Equifax Data Breach, Credit Reporting, and Getting Your Report

Yes_ but. The voters can only respond to the self serving ‘facts/lies’ they are fed by the pollies and the media.

I think what they do and do not do is covered, but some voters pick who they perceive as the least evil, some buy into pollie-speak but about 40% are welded on to each side, regardless and do not care.

Personal opinion is little any pollie says is trustworthy, but while the press ranges from centre left to centre right in presentation they are mostly factual, but do have a top skill for being careful not to offend the pollies they cover, and an absence of investigative journalism.

I agree with all the previous comments about Equifax and the way they operate. I recently applied for a “free” credit report from them. The next thing was a phone call from them trying to upset me to some extra features. I declined this approach and eventually receives the credit report which was incomplete and useless. It did not provide my credit score nor did it provide any details of any records that had been used to arrive at the score, including any enquiries by credit providers. I can only conclude that I got what I paid for.

The reason I applied for the report was I was told on a Channel 7 finale segment that everybody should apply for this free credit report so that any errors in it could be corrected. Well, that worked well didn’t it!

3 Likes

Many US issued credit cards/bank accounts support identity protection by either putting your FICO credit score on your monthly bill or providing it via a click on their web sites. If it goes down you know to investigate. A good step as I see it.

What are the odds our financial institutions would do the same? It remains up to us,

1 Like

Darn spell checker! That was supposed to say upsell, not upset. However, I was upset, so maybe the spell checker knows a thing or two.

3 Likes

Well that makes it easily accessible to anyone who can get to your mail.

The credit score on the bill is an opt-in/out and if anyone steals a posted credit card bill, their knowing your credit score is one of your relatively lesser worries, and like here, getting bills via the web is prevalent.

Concurrently with the monthly credit score card issuers sometimes provide free credit monitoring. They will report new account applications, etc, etc, at no cost. And as here, there are monitoring businesses that do the same for fee for those so inclined.

Equifax/Veda in the news again …

4 Likes

Glad to see Equifax fined for this behaviour. Getting a credit report is a tricky enough business already without misleading consumers on top of it all.

2 Likes

The 'honourable dealings by Veda (now Equifax) goes back a few years.

https://www.oaic.gov.au/resources/privacy-law/determinations/2016-aicmr-88.pdf

Doesn’t it add comfort that ‘The Credit Bureau’, that holds the keys to everything from mortgages to credit cards, could be dodgy and shonky? Yet another financial institution we would happily trust the government’s life with, though probably not willingly our own :wink:

Remember, this revelation is after they were caught out selling information to marketeers.

I had to work a bit to find answers to the questions referenced in the above but no clear hits.

But I did find a specific case where as usual, government spoke noble words and made it clear Veda’s actions were not on by the equivalent of waving a wilted lettuce over Veda’s head.

Then there was ‘solidarity’ with the banks that is reminiscent of a Cambridge Analytica mindset.

I do not watch our quiz shows (or much on tellie) but one of the most common question in these times has to be ‘How many times did Scott Morrison deny there was a need for the Banking RC?’ His self serving BS and attacks on his opposition are mind bending.

We can be assured (wink wink nudge nudge) with this calibre of leadership and underlying mindset Equifax will be nothing but honest and responsive from now forward. Right!

5 Likes

What a disgraceful bunch of bottom feeding grubs.

Veda is as bad, if not worse, than the parasite banks.

We investigate Equifax to see if they are following the code and offer some advice on getting your free credit report.

5 Likes

When I applied for a Ban on my credit file,
following id theft, all 3 agencies required
scans of 3 id’s such as driver licence, Medicare, Passport, including proof of address: Council Rates, Water rates…which I wasn’t really happy to put on line. But, anyway, I now have got new numbers for those identifications.
A free credit report was provided, but only
Equifax negletted to include it in the email and had to be contacted again!

6 Likes

An article regarding Qld Treasury awarding a contract without tender to Equifax for calls to SPER.

Dogs of a feather lie down together?

1 Like