Emilia products

Is anyone able to advise on the reliability of the Emilia Gas Upright Cooker and the Emilia Stainless Steel Canopy Rangehood? Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi @tjenkins, welcome to the community and thanks for your first post.

In relation to the Emilia cooktop and rangehood, do you have the model numbers of the products in question
or weblinks to the items on sale.

This gives the community tye opportunity, where possible, to provide specific information about the products in questiom.

A general comment about making a major purchase decision, one needs to ensure that tbe smaller brands can provide the necessary long term support, service and spares should something go wrong in the future. This is something worth considering when making purchase decisions.

4 Likes
5 Likes

The posts at productreview.com.au re other Emilia products are not flattering.

Keep in mind people are more likely to gripe than laud, but when products are weighted to the lower end by a number of reviews for the brand, it could cause one to be wary.

5 Likes

While I am not familiar with Emilia, I just hope that they are not similar quality to other Italian appliances which are known to have surface corrosion/rust unlike many of their European, Australian or Japaneses/Asian counterparts.

5 Likes

From Appliances on Line brand pages

About Emilia

Emilia is a subsidiary of Glem Gas SpA, a family-owned company. Glem Gas SpA combines the company’s 49 years of experience in manufacturing beautiful Italian cooking appliances with a modern sense of elegant style. Built in Modena, the city that is the birthplace of Luciano Pavarotti and home to Ferrari, their extensive product range provides exceptional performance and value. The Australian subsidiary, Emilia Glem Appliances, is 100% owned by the Italian factory making it unique to other Italian cooking brands in Australia.

It would be unfair to judge any business because of where its products are made. However when the claim to quality, reliability and value (note my bolded text) relies on 
 I suspect that says enough. Note beautiful, modern and elegant are the leading attributes of the product line. Hopefully for the premium price the product is also a great cooktop and oven.

P.S.
Ferrari make generally great looking cars. They can go fast, but as everyday reliable, efficient, and delivering value? Perhaps not what they are best at. :wink:

Emilia may have a great product. It may be more useful to seek feedback from Italian customers? Our hydronic heating radiators are Italian made. No problems with their quality or performance.

4 Likes

FWIW. A few years ago, while visiting an elderly lady, one of her neighbors came in, almost in tears, angry and frustrated about her new Emilia gas cooker. The oven was the problem with uneven temperature to the point of burning in one spot while not cooking in another, and no matter how many times a technician would go in, the problem couldn’t be fixed.
I remember being curious about that Brand and looking up the ‘product review’ site in Italy. The reviews were mostly negative and especially about the oven function.
But this was 3-4 years ago, they could have come up with a solution by now.

4 Likes

The reviews on Product Review for Emilia D1965MV14 which appears to be the same as the D1865MV14.

Vastly different to the reviews on The Good Guys website.

Sounds like something to avoid like the plague.

2 Likes

When looking at the Emilia or other gas cooktops, you might consider the information in Choice article How to buy the best gas cooktop for your kitchen.

3 Likes

I can comment only on the 60cm version that I purchased probably around 2012. Both the cooktop and the oven are still functioning. No rust visible. However! I wouldn’t buy one again. My particular oven is only fan-forced, so no conventional heat setting. That would have been ok, except the fan is bloody noisey. If you have an open plan kitchen/dining/living room be prepared to do a lot of shouting. If the new ovens also have a fan for cooling the door, then maybe learn sign language. Also, the oven is not well insulated so it is constantly on, just like a toaster oven. It’s a very light weight oven. The cooktop does the job. I have replaced it in my home with an Ariston, but I still have the Emilia. For a while I had it outdoors in my “summer” kitchen. Recently, we have moved it to a weekender to replace a toaster oven. Although it is noisey, it can still bake fairly well so is adequate for a weekender. Good luck, I know picking the right oven/cooktop combo is daunting.

5 Likes

Consider getting an induction cook top with electric stove, as these are responsive like gas but do not introduce toxic air pollution into your home. Gas stoves (and some cooking activities) produce toxic air pollution, and this is a serious concern concern for everyone. See this article for example: https://healthyindoors.com/2018/07/cooking-indoor-air-pollution-emissions-natural-gas-stoves/

I’ve got a 2 year old Emila undermount ducted rangehood in the kitchen. It does the job of extracting steam and smells very well - but sounds like a 747 taking off on the high speed setting. To be fair so did the ancient Robinhood recirculating model that it replaced. While the Blanco ducted undermount rangehood at the last house I had was quieter - the Emila is much better at doing what it is supposed to do (and induction cooktops don’t like condensation).

Don’t know if I would buy the same unit again - but it actually does what is promised on the box.

4 Likes

I have looked at the review quite hard getting an average normal free standing oven like I have now. The cheaper one they don’t recommend. Seems have to spend a fortune to get a quality oven or buy the less expensive ones

2 Likes

I have the same situation although not with an Emilia fan. I had a store-bought extraction fan over the oven which just didn’t do the job in exhausting heat, steam and smoke. I upgraded the power of the fan and it now works really well but it is noisy. This isn’t a question of quality it is physics.

The further you are from the ideal case of a broad, short straight pipe the more power your fan needs to shift a useful amount of air. The more power the fan has the more noise you get from motor noise, blade noise and airflow. The noise can be accentuated if you have the fan mounted in a lightweight wall or ceiling (like plasterboard) as it amplifies the noise. One way out of this is to put the motor and fan well away from the kitchen or living area where noise doesn’t matter This means it sucks instead of blowing. This works but costs more and is more suited to a commercial situation than a domestic one unless you have pots of money.

Domestic range hoods with the fan over the hood are designed with this in mind and they will compromise the airflow to keep the noise down every time. If you have a narrow, long or bent exhaust pipe the result can be bad performance. When Choice test rangehoods they look at the overall outcome which takes into account the design of the hood as well as the strength of the fan - which is fair. I can’t find how the rangehoods in Choice tests are mounted in the sense of what kind of tube is behind them. It seems to me that this leaves open the possibility that with different configurations at your kitchen you will get different results.

3 Likes