Electronic piano

Welcome to the Community @PianoKinney,

Thanks for identifying your relationship. I merged your post into this existing one.

As a sample of 1 I doubt Choice would be a ‘go to’ for reviewing digital instruments. There are a number of commercial web sites, no doubt you are familiar with more than one, that have their own arguably ‘best’ lists. At the end of the day would I be correct that any particular musician, novice or master, is going to have their own views for their own style and competence?

2 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with PhilT. I’m currently in the market for a digital piano and have been reading the reviews, trying out the keyboards, and adding and deleting to my list. That said, the expertise you have doesn’t pop up every day, although I really don’t know what a piano technial (technical?) manager does.

So much of selecting a digital keyboard can be price driven or function driven, and the available array is considerable. I have concerns with CHOICE selecting suitable sample sizes for hand mixers and coffee machines without considering what approach might be made if keyboards were to be assessed. I suspect too it would be a high budget project with a limited appeal.

Digital keyboards have certainly come a long way and the their sound capability can be quite stunning, particularly with the hybrid range to consider. But even in this statement I’m presenting a bias as to where my interest might lie. At the end of day, I’ve been happy with the reviews “out there” and so I seriously wonder what added value CHOICE might make.

1 Like

I have performed in a few amateur opera productions for which the musical director specifically searched out a keyboard that would have all the sounds he wanted to produce. Maybe not quite as good as a full orchestra, but the orchestra would not have fitted in the venue.

If it is your first keyboard and you have no prior experience, definitely consider renting. Musical instruments require the kind of dedication I and many others do not have, and a rental may seem cheap and nasty at first but will give you the opportunity to decide whether you have the necessary patience to continue. My mother has played piano for most of her nearly eighty years, and still practices almost every day.

1 Like

Is there also a distinct difference in needs?

1. There are those looking to a digital keyboard as a way to recreate a wide range of instrument/synth music (creativity/group performance). Function rules.
  2. An alternate use is to develop professional piano playing skills, towards qualifying as a music teacher or higher achievement. The advantage of near silent practice in a more compact and portable instrument than a quality upright would need to matched with a near equal feel/touch to the action and musical output.

For those just starting out, I’m on board with

For those more advanced, an assumption is one has a developing network of those musically experienced. They may be the best source of advice on brands/models of an instrument of any type to purchase (new or second hand). Also an opportunity when visiting to try out on their keyboards (no pressure) in addition to under the gaze of the sales staff in store.

Sound advice, postulative! I hadn’t considered renting. And I probably identify with your mother. Over the past 20 years I’ve played an array of digital pianos from awful to wow. Over the past two years I’ve also come across keyboards that for my need, are serious contenders. But all that said, I come back to PhilT’s comment regarding CHOICE’s entry to digital keyboard reviews. Can CHOICE add value here?

Thanks mark_m, your points make eminent sense. I’ve shifted house and the need for quieter piano playing is a bit of a focus right now, but as with postulative, I would be interested in comments that started with PhilT’s earlier reply as to whether CHOICE’s entry to digital piano reviews would add value to what is already “out there”?

Recognising the Choice test team are very talented it might be a stretch too far to expect the team to be able to do such a review unassisted by other experts.

The bigger challenge is at what cost? Choice has a limited budget. I’m not convinced it would be the best use of funds. Especially when Choice has a demonstrated priority towards everyday consumer needs - essential to many.

2 Likes