Electronic piano

Like some reviews on electronic pianos please. Ones with weights keys plus foot peddles. For a beginner, but dont want to upgrade all the time. Under $800

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @JYA ,

Since Choice selects product categories based on budget and market shares a review of any musical instrument is probably unlikely since one vs another is subjective for consumer grade instruments, especially when one is unsure if it will be used for weeks or decades, and the more accomplished the musician the higher the standard sought, and oft times the better the instrument the more difficult to master its capabilities, especially but not exclusively to non-electronic types.

There are lots of web sites that hit with grand headlines like the ultimate guide to…, top 10, etc, etc, virtually all being commercial in nature. Perusing the lot of them is educational in what you might find most important but should also be taken with scepticism because they are usually biased, especially when they have links to ‘buy now’ from somewhere (they receive some sort of commission).

While some Community members might have one or be knowledgeable and happy to give their advice, you might be better placed to visit a few music shops initially as a shopper not a buyer to hear what the competing sales people say or don’t say about the products they offer - it can be a good education. After getting focus on your value system to make a selection create your short list and go ‘buying’.

8 Likes

Hi @JYA Welcome to the community . I would have a look at the piano offered by the company Artist Guitars in Sydney . I have purchased a number of instruments from them over the years and found them most reputable to deal with . Follow the link below to their web site .
The price is a bit higher but it is worth it .

7 Likes

Thanks for this. Will definately look into it.

5 Likes

Another source of advice on what might be suitable could come from a local piano teacher. Either a prospective teacher you have in mind or one friends may be learning from.

Perhaps there is a piano teacher or two in the community who might like to offer some general comment on suitable models or brands. I’m more of an elephant on the keys than talented. I only have a traditional upright, although several of the more talented in the family have electric pianos. One a music teacher purchased secondhand. Another purchased new.

With the budget in mind, it is possible to consider a second hand instrument. Some models from the widely known Casio, Yamaha and Kawai brands start at over the $1,200 price point new, but are often traded or sold by owners upgrading or moving on. Hence they may also be affordable as used instruments.

There are also a number of other brands offering similar basic models new for under $1,000.

6 Likes

Of course if you don’t need to have the latest technology.

2 Likes

A few years back we got roped in to funding Christmas for one of the Grandkids. What started as a $200 pushbike rapidly grew to over $3,000 then they wanted an electric piano because the lass was going to be doing music the next year. I play piano and suggested a real one would be a better option. Once word got out, there were several family pianos that were doing nothing that became available. In hindsight, a tin whistle would have been just as good. She never did take to music and gave up at the end of Term one.

For a beginner it is better to hire, borrow, use the one at the hall etc until you know if it is for you. You can get cheap two octave electronic keyboards, but get a full sized one, it is annoying to have to relearn spacings otherwise. Electronic organs are versatile and can have CDs to play along to or record. My guess is there are lots of second-hand pianos, keyboards etc.

9 Likes

My suggestion is whatever the keyboard is, it is a full 88 key with action and feel like a piano. A music teacher or professional running a music shop should be able to advise.
As for foot pedals, I learnt the piano for three years and not once encountered music that needed the soft, mute, or sustain effect provided by the pedals.

4 Likes

Look for Roland pianos. You can not go wrong with Roland. Even the less expensive Roland GO model: 88-key · Polyphonic · Sustain Pedal · MIDI Compatible · With Pedals · Weighted Key. You can find under $600.

6 Likes

Welcome @G-Point, thanks for mentioning Roland.

Roland is well know for it’s electronic keyboards.
The Roland FP-30 (electronic piano) is often reviewed like for like against Yamaha, Kawai etc. It’s available as a keyboard only or with cradle and pedals. Recollection is it’s over the $1,000 mark new for the bare keyboard, or similar in price to the competing beginner models from Yamaha, Kawai etc with stand and pedal kit.

General comment:
The lower priced general electronic keyboards have a very different feel and mechanism compared to the models sold specifically as electronic pianos. A general comment is it can be difficult for a beginner to transition from the different feel of a basic keyboard to an acoustic piano, electronic piano, or upper range digital keyboard instrument.

There are numerous online reviews of popular models often with comparisons. These may assist with looking at real product in stores and for sizing up relative value of new or second hand.

EG two random examples of what is easily found on line

In respect of Choice being able to ever review this category. Nuanced observations such as the surface feel of the keys, weighted response, etc can be very subjective. They are not set out in standards or pass fail scientific measurement. Perhaps one day choice will have an orchestra of rock, modern and classic
keyboard professionals to offer some support.

5 Likes

I did a bit of research and ended up buying a new Korg D1 a couple of years ago. It’s been great; the keys feel really good and it sounds good too; using the pedal changes the sound the way I would expect from growing up with an old upright piano.

3 Likes

If you are beginner, you should try to buy second hand. Perhaps join a music group of pro musicians on Facebook. there are so many second hand ones going at good prices. You would probably get one for $200.00. They last for years. The main issue is the size and the weight. Also, if you want to connect to sound modules. Also there are two kinds of electronics for pedals. So ideally buy one that comes with a matching sustain pedal.

4 Likes

I just bought a Roland full size keyboard for AROUND $600 SOUNDS LIKE A PIANO PLUS EPIANO, ORGAN AND STRINGS. That’s it. Very happy after 3 months

5 Likes

Bad reply. There are basics with pianos - full sized keys and keyboard, weighted pedals, sturdy stand. Yamaha make a range of excellent student pianos.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help

2 Likes

@JYA Check out the Casio CDP range of electronic pianos . They sell between $700 - $799 . depending on the model . I play keyboards - Synthesizers but have always felt comfortable switching to the Casio’s regarding key action and general feel .

The best move is to try some instruments in store . If you don’t feel comfortable with it i.e miss keying etc move onto another instrument . Often the instrument buys you not the other way around . In a nutshell if it feels wrong at the shop it will not feel any better at home .

5 Likes

Just another piece of advice @JYA . When you get a bit of theory and know the basic make up of scales buy yourself , or who ever the piano is for, a copy of the book " How to play piano despite years of lessons " subtitle . What music is and how to make it at home . By Ward Cannel and Fred Marx . The Book depository and Booktopia stock it .

I do a review of this book elsewhere on the forum . Follow this link

It offers invaluable aids to help you on your musical journey .

3 Likes

I have just bought a 2nd hand Roland RP 301 R and it has the most amazing action and sound in its grand piano settings. If I close my eyes I can imagine I am playing an acoustic grand piano.
Not only that I only paid US$600 for it and it is in perfect condition.

4 Likes

Looks like you’ve done well and are satisfied. Unlike second hand traditional acoustic pianos, the sound quality of digital versions is a constant, and they don’t need tuning.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m reaching out to see how useful and interesting a full review of digital pianos might be. It’s a topic with great scope for deep analysis so it might be best carried out in stages.
I’m a piano technician of 37 years in the industry and have worked in factories in Europe and Asia as a design consultant, currently Piano Technial Manager at Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
Thoughts?
David.