Electric toothbrush reviews

Cheers, maybe better to look at it from points of view of power & time between charges plus overall battery life &/or device life expectancy.

Eg my Son has the Oral-B Genius 9000 (Li-ion) & I have the Oral-B Pro 700 (NimH).

Subjectively his runs full/higher power for more uses between charges; mine drops power after first 1, maybe 2 uses; still easily usable but drops quite a bit of the get up & go of the first use after charge.

Then going by that article we can expect the battery of the 700 to have about half the overall life of the 9000.

1 Like

We have both a Oral-B Professional Care Bluetooth (5 years?) and a Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean (~4 years). The Sonicare purchase came about because of its better travel convenience. Now we have the best of both alternating between the two. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a very personal choice between the two depending your teeth, your brushing style & the brushes youā€™re using. Others of you may have very different experiences. Please add you comments!

If I were to choose one, Iā€™d take the Sonicare, & my wife edges towards the Oral-B.

Our thoughts for our mouthful of teeth:

Oral-B
good for people who

• like to brush with not too much thought
  • have larger gaps around teeth [The Oral-B video always shows a brush swishing all around a single tooth. Not in my minimal gap mouth.]

good

• over-pressure indicator
  • reasonable clean without thinking
  • physical clock timer (not with current models)

bad

• dribbles
  • using your phone guide via bluetooth is not very practical everyday. Maybe as a training tool?
  • brushes donā€™t last long - wear indicators disappear very fast
  • heavy inconvenient travel case & charger (newer version ā€œlooksā€ better)

Sonicare
good for people who

• pay a little more attention to brushing detail

good:

• latest brush designs clean better than originals
  • more likely to get into tight spots (for me, you may be different)
  • brushes last longer (as seen on wear indicators) & even then donā€™t feel worn.
  • mostly good charging & travel case. The charging glass looks good on the bench.
  • the vibration massage feels pleasant
  • compact, solid, feels well made

bad:

• single button must cycle through settings (latest versions have two buttons)
  • no over-pressure indicator (some models now include this)
  • expensive

Both have multi modes, but we only ever use the default highest setting.

My purchase advice is to look for the occasional mega sales - both were purchased at 40-50% off retail.

Oral-B once sold a Sonicare equivalent & the brushes never wore out. Probably why they cancelled that model line. (Yes, I owned one.)

I hope that helps somebody out thereā€¦

2 Likes

So would you recommend buying a water pik because it seems like you say are expensive tips. But i was, wanting to know if you think they are effective as, advertising on tv says. I prefer to ask you as already have one. For example if you compare to regular floss they advertise waterpik is better at removing.

1 Like

If one has orthodontics, crowns, or bridges, and maybe implants, a waterpik is well worth the cost in my opinion. Costco currently has one online for $110 delivered.

2 Likes

I have seen several around cost around 100 /120/130. I saw pne for 84 dollars with batteries at big w. Im not fond of normal floss and picksters are annoying

At Costco, notice it is a ā€˜setā€™.

I have an older version of the one on the left.

1 Like

I just saw this Choice post on FB:

It led me to the most recent electric toothbrush review (1st March 2020).
I am considering buying one for my grandchildren, to encourage good teeth cleaning, but - there was no information on availability of individual head identification.

In the interest of reducing environmental impact, one handle for all, should be sufficient, but obviously it is important to have easily identifiable (coloured?) brush heads!

IMO, it is worth adding this information to any future ETB reviews.

1 Like

Hi @evanstrish3

I have moved your post into the Electric Toothbrush Review topic as it seems to fit best here. I will tag @BrendanMays into this so he is aware of your request.

1 Like

On the topic of water flossers: (a) Has Choice reviewed any recently and (b) does Choice or any visitor to this site have comments (good or bad) to share regarding a compact water flosser now on sale at Coles

I am keen to know: (1) How strong are the jets, that is, do they give a good clean b/w the teeth? After all, the one on sale ($70) is small and is powered by a usb cord and is not plugged into mains power; (2) How reliable is the brand and the mini in particular? and (3) How sturdy is the product? Does anyone know if it breaks easily or is unreliable?

Not having used it, I can already infer one major negative: the water tank is small meaning a user would need to refill it once or twice when flossing for even a short time.

Thanks in advance.
BTW I know folk who use Waterpik and they are happy campers. Piksters HydroPik Miniā€™s cheaper (than WaterPik) price caught my eye, hence my interest.

1 Like

Our former dentist used water floss for cleaning between the teeth and along the gum line - rather than a scraping tool. He said it causes less damage to the gums.

We use tap floss at home and havenā€™t ever thought of water flossing. My only concern with water flossing would be how to know the space between teeth has been adequately cleaned. A dentist can see this with tools/ mirrors they use, but the home user canā€™t see.

With traditional dental floss, one can systematically go from space to space cleaning out any deposits.

What you say about the how the dentist used the water flossing device makes sense. I met a fellow on the weekend who used a different brand of compact/travel flosser and complained about how weak the stream was. He was unsure if the problem was that it was charged via USB or something else was not right with the device.

Looking for reviews online, I see on amazon australia that folk complain about this brand. Those reviews and my first and report on Sunday, not to mention Pikster is not in the same class as Waterpik, is enough for me to stick to the old fashioned wasy of flossing.

I believe that this is what this is what our former dentist usedā€¦

Rather than a water floss persay.

I agree that if the water jet isnā€™t strong enough, the device will be ineffective. Too strong and damage to oneā€™s mouth could occur. I suspect the devices err on the side of caution to prevent the later occurring.

1 Like