Electric Scooters The Commuters friend - Not!

Welcome to the community @Muzza22.
@phb has responded why this is.

The safe use of mini scooters - push along or battery electric is not a universal outcome. The same applies to skate boards, roller blades, and an increasing number of motorised variations.

There are competing interests for their use in public spaces. The level of hazard or risk depends on many factors. The environment in which they are being used and the way they are being used are key.

In shared community spaces the rules are very simple. Pedestrians come first. If there is any doubt the moral obligation not to run into a 3yo child, or an 80yo with vision impairment should suffice.

If there is one standout need IMO for greater consumer protection in this space, it’s the lack of legal and political will to provide protection when so called ‘accidents’ do happen. Although if it’s a hired ‘e-scooter’, that puts you in hospital and you loose your casual employment?

https://www.smithslawyers.com.au/help/e-scooter-and-e-bike-injury-compensation-in-queensland

The only winners at present appear to be the lawyers, at least in Qld.

1 Like

Ah! What a shame!

If we could all use electric scooters, instead of that primitive so-called “walking”, we could be one step closer to living the successful and charmed life of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

More a fan of hover jets ever since their invention in the 1960’s. They have a proper seat and don’t fall over when you stop. :roll_eyes:

Note:

Tongue in cheek, but likely lost on some/many.

At least I can hear these scooters coming up behind me with their electric motor whine.
It’s the unpowered bikes and other things that worry me more.

1 Like

What about electric power bicycle i heard cops saying because of the speed it is illegal if it is not registered. I saw one guy nearly gst fined.

Electric bikes are legal with up to 200W motors, and 250W for pedalec type electric bikes- where electric motor assistance is dependent on pedalling, ie no electric only propulsion.

Electric assistance is limited to 25km/hr, and they do not need to be registered. Standard human powered bicycles can easily go much faster.

3 Likes

Yeah i know normal bicycles go fast. It must be because they are powered by motor if over a, certain speed needs license. I remember watching thwt tv show and a bloke didn’t have a licence for the powered bike. Those powered scooter things are just as bad.

Not as such. Requirements for registration and licensing of the driver are determined by the type and class of vehicle. It’s best to go to your state govt department of motor transport or however they label themselves.

If you saw an example on TV it might help to clarify which program and the example. There are a number of e-bikes sold for off road use that have a motor more powerful than that legally permitted for road use. They may also have the capability to operate powered without pedalling at any speed, and easily exceed the 25kph speed limit for power assist. Not legal in either instance unless the bike is registered and the driver licensed for a motor bike.

EG one of these, which might be ok on the farm, but is not legal on any road or reserve. Not sure about national park or state forest use. It might depend on your state and LGA.

2 Likes

So the thing that collided into my ankle at a Brisbane city intersection on the footpath was a teen on a skateboard. Damn it hurt. He apologised then sped off.
I am all for scooters, bicycles electric or not, but please Brisbane Council and Queensland State Government, separate paths for pedestrians.

5 Likes

No way ill be buying anything like that im staying with my car

The Brisbane City Council can restrict use of skate boards, etc on pedestrian footpaths, and all council controlled areas.

It chooses not to for the majority of the inner city footpaths, and enforcement rigour is open to question?

The GadgetGuy has a commentary on the situation re e-scooters especially Lime for Brisbane, and briefly the other states which are all different.

1 Like

It may also be worth noting that at least in Vic if it’s not registered you have no third party insurance so if you have an accident not involving a registered vehicle you could well find yourself with huge medical bills and being sued by others to pay their bills

3 Likes

Choice offers this advice re bicycles and e-bikes:

For other e-powered transportation devices, it may we useful to contact your insurer, assuming they are legally able to be ridden in a public space.

3 Likes

This advert asks just one question.
What is this business promoting?

Dual motors 800W total, 55kph.

‘Scrarily Spectacular’ is also used for the promotion.

Further down the page, as if?

Is there anywhere one might reasonably be able to use one of these, other than a sealed cart track or race circuit? Private property only.

3 Likes

Whilst returning home yesterday, I witnessed a person riding an electric scooter coming from the opposite direction, downhill from the local cemetery and crematorium, on the bitumen road, and he was not wearing a helmet

Probably just a “temporary resident” but at least he was in the right location.

1 Like

You could take it on your next international trip to a locality where the scooter is not regulated per se, but the speed limit must be adhered to, and riding legality on specified roads/walkways is explicitly allowed/prohibited.

The disclaimer seems consistent with the few tests and ads I perused for electric scooters, globally.

Another case of allowing unsafe, illegal-to-be-used products to be sold, at least without front and centre ‘for use on private property only’.

You should nominate this for a Shonky.

3 Likes

As someone who has recently tried the Lime scooters in Brisbane I’d like to push back a little on the “nanny state” solutions being advocated. Sure, people may (will?) use them in dangerous, illegal or unsafe ways but that’s a decision by the rider, not an inherent fault of the product. Where they are allowed in Queensland, road rules apply (as they should) and scooters are speed limited by the manufacturer to 25 kph. As for liability, well if you are clearly at fault you should be held responsible (eg drunk or no lights at night). That said, electric scooters seem to me to be yet another piece in the puzzle of how to get more cars and motorbikes off the road. Who knows how many people are killed by cars, pollution and stupidity.
As for pedestrians and scooters mixing on the footpath; I would suggest that all people need to be aware of their surroundings. I have seen pedestrians walk in front of cars while using their mobile phones. Using the logic of some, then we should ban phones or only allow them in ‘private’ use. I personally witnessed, a mobility scooter driver intentionally run into several patrons who were seated in an alfresco dining area. Should we ban mobility scooters? You get the point.
The upside of electric scooters is, in my mind, that last kilometer or two of public transport. In the suburbs of most major cities, getting to or from a bus, train or ferry stop is often the deal breaker. It might be a big hill, the distance or just the added time that convinces some to hop in their car. However, if you had a device that you can charge anywhere there was a power point, could fold up and carry on like a piece of luggage and get you that last kilometer or two; wouldn’t that be a value to all? Oh and did I mention no need to find a parking spot (rental scooters excepted). Certainly we would all breathe a little easier, yes?
Perhaps a better solution than banning electric scooters is to require registration (and dare I say it a fee) and a basic rules test? I’m also aware that electric scooters in Brisbane are not allowed on buses or ferry but are allowed on trains. I’m investigating why that is but to date, I’ve run head long into bureaucracy. That said, scooter riding is such a kick, gliding along with the wind in my face that I’m going to buy one and then I’ll be happy to skip the bus (and whatever might be circulating in the air inside).

For this commuter, the electric scooter is looking like my new best friend.

2 Likes

Spot on post. The nanny state is alive and well in Victoria unfortunately.
P.S. I purchased an e-scooter and love it.

Unfortunately these hazardous products are legal on the Gold Coast. They’re allowed on walking/cycling tracks that are used by many people. The pathways often go past unfenced playgrounds and green spaces. My concern is the speed in which they travel plus they have no regard for the laws of the pathways. I’ve seen them travel so close to young children that parents have literally gasped and pulled their children closer. They’re a menace and should not be allowing on such small pathways.

2 Likes

I have just had a couple of days in Canberra where it seems these scooters are OK as they are all over the city centre. I don’t know if the regulations permit or not but they are used at night as well the day. Canberra has a great road system and many walkways, busways and cycleways to suit others.

I was surprised at 7PM when it was quite dark to have a scooter flash across the road (which was for cars not shared) about 5m in front of me. The road was not well lit, my headlights were on but I only saw it as it passed. I had zero chance of stopping or avoiding it. The scooter had a dim light that only faced forwards so that I saw the edge of as it passed in front of me. The rider was so dark I couldn’t tell you a thing about him/her.

So the question is, was this an isolated case of a poor judgement or are these like inner city bike couriers who regularly take their live and that of others in hand because they think it is their right to ride like a maniac under all and any conditions?

2 Likes