Electric Scooters The Commuters friend - Not!

I saw them gliding by, the wind on their face. They were not sweating in this summer funk on their way to work. Smiling in fact as they glided by.

Well, that looks good- an electric scooter. How cool, and functional. I can cruise to work, zip down the street, or across the suburb to my mate’s place.

I went online and checked them out.

Comprehensive reviews of scooters 'that are great for the commute…" they said. Foldable so they stow away, lightweight and sturdy, interchangeable batteries to get you further, and on it went.

The pics of urban riders looked cool. Streetscapes and even pics of ‘offroad’ scooters.

Lock me in, I’ll fork out the cash, A Grand, yep $1K, that will get me what I want.

But wait, what’s this.

No.

Really!

Powered scooters petrol or electric are illegal.

Not on any road.
Not on a footpath.
Not on in a park.
Definitely not in the dark. ( a Nod to Dr Seuss)

Be aware and beware.

Powered scooters are illegal and you can cop a very big fine (in NSW) for riding an unregistered vehicle.

So get on your electric deadly treadly and smile- with the wind in your face and bugs in your teeth.

Electric scooter, you are no friend of mine.

12 Likes

Welcome @slammer.
Very poetic, and a good warning about the legality of these things. I would think the same would apply to electric skateboards.
Here in Vic, they are allowed as long as they don’t exceed 10 kph, and have no more than a 200 Watt motor.

6 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:
No poetry required, in this instance.

Queensland has a broad coverage including the variations such as electric skate boards, and other two or single wheeled powered contraptions.

Note:

• The rules for motorised wheel chairs and mobility scooters have slightly different requirements.
  • Protective helmets must be worn.
  • There are age, power and speed restrictions.
  • Local government has the authority to further restrict use within their council areas.

I’ve observed in Brisbane pre-Covid that bicycles pedal and electric are far more common than the other options. Lime had approval for a trial including higher speeds. It was not uncommon to see numerous abandoned scooters while there were numerous serious accidents. Some of us might be less in control than appropriate.

In a high density city, on foot paths mixing pedestrians and faster moving wheeled transport increases risks. Whether Qld has it about right or NSW and others have made the right call? In the interim I live where there is only the road to ride on (bicycle). No footpath.

Councils have realised the benefit of creating separated options for bicycles in cities (bikeways). Is the way forward the creation of added space for the alternatives?

There remains an inconsistency where all options are permitted. For an e-bike one must pedal to maintain power while an e-scooter can deliver 10 or 25kph unassisted.

6 Likes

IMO powered scooters are mobile accidents in waiting. With such tiny non-pneumatic tyres, they don’t handle bumps at all well and, at least around here, smooth roads are exceptionally rare. Sooner or later a bump will be unexpectedly encountered… and then if travelling fast enough, it’s Superman time!

I’m pretty sure riding an unregistered bicycle, human or electric powered, is allowed! :wink:

7 Likes

It’s not the flying, it’s the landing they have to watch out for :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

There are many which don’t have those miniscule wheels and pump-up tyres seem to be the go for a comfy ride. I want one, but my balance is shot, and I live in NSW.

The Segway Ninebot even has “self-healing” pneumatic tyres!
https://www.electrickicks.com.au/products/segway-ninebot-max-electric-kick-scooter?variant=35115935858840

6 Likes

Buy beware. The G30 is not street or footpath legal in Qld with that set of specifications, 30kph and 350W motor. (The Aussie add suggests it is speed limited to 25kph) Permitted 10kph and motor 200W maximum.

Doubtless there are those amongst us who could handle all that power and speed. There are more options in the product range if you feel the need to practice in your backyard. It might need to be a very large backyard.

5 Likes

LOL! As if I’m going to buy one. I’m up for a 4 wheel mobility scooter, not one of these. I was simply pointing out that there are scooters with pneumatic tyres. The Ninebot is simply one of many.

There are also one wheel scooters, they are too weird and too fast. I saw one on youtube and the guy was going at some ridiculous speed. USA of course.

4 Likes

Last month while looking at things I couldn’t afford, I noticed that JB HiFi on the Gold Coast (Qld) sold a range of e-Scooters. All of them I saw had displayed on the price/info ticket whether it was street legal or not.

2 Likes

There are ones that look like a one wheel Segway without a handle. EG One of these

or mono wheel skateboards.

https://www.skaterhq.com.au/onewheel

I’ve seen these in Brisbane. Watching the technique it’s a lot like shredding (snow boarding). Easier to go in a straight line by continual changing weight in long arcs. Speed helps too! Snow likely is more forgiving vs concrete and asphalt and gum trees and picket fences.

If you are adept and fit enough to use one, walking or a light jog should not be a challenge as an alternative.

3 Likes

Madness.

3 Likes

I have found an alternative for you when I saw this promotion to support Aussie Veterans the other day.

https://classicsforacause.com.au/eleanor-mustang/?ref=8&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6fimo-47gIVmwRyCh1Omw3nEAEYASAAEgI9kfD_BwE

I checked out the manufacturers’ website and I was absolutely amazed.

https://www.eleanor-mustang.com/specs.html

Of course, it may be a bit hard to fit your shopping in the boot if you have the nitrous oxide canister fitted.

You won’t have to worry about the Little Old Lady From Pasadena.

The 1,000 HP, twin-turbo 427 unit sounds like me.

Not your average commuter!
Enough PPE to impress, but where do you put your lunch box? :wink:

No indicators, or brake lights, or a place for the rego plate. Chance of road registration? Which makes it a ‘track day’ and private property off road special.

1 Like

New scooters come with 10inch pneumatic tyres.

3 Likes

When on holidays in Brisbane a few yrs ago I almost got bowled over a number of times with silent scooters whooshing by. They are dangerous! and should not be allowed anywhere near pedestrians. Speed limits are not adhered to - so surprised NOT! I am not totally sure if this is the same scooters you are referring to, but any fast moving object coming upon you unawares from behind should not be allowed.

5 Likes

I wish they were illegal on the Gold Coast. They’re supposed to give way to pedestrians on the beachside walkways but they hardly ever do and when they’re going full pelt I’m not standing my ground. These are for hire bikes and 9/10 times they’re ridden by people who appear to be under the influence of something. I’m petrified that one day a small child will be collected. I’ve already seen a few close calls :weary::weary:

6 Likes

We could do better?

Curiosity, is how are other countries approaching the use of e-scooters. Japan is a big user of bicycles.

First steps with currently an e-scooter trial underway.

The rules include sensibly?
Riders need to have a driver’s license for motorized bicycles, wear a helmet and take out compulsory automobile liability insurance policy to ride the vehicles on public roads. The maximum speed permitted is 20kph.

Bicycle etiquette in Japan is important. Assume the same for e-scooters if they become more common. There are also some very simple to understand laws. EG You can get up to 3 months in prison or a 50,000 yen fine for using an umbrella or cell phone while riding Observance optional, although I suspect, being Japan police discretion depends politely on whether you are creating a problem.

1 Like

Ah yes, the land of the free and personal liberty over common good. Why should powered scooters be any different to the wearing of face masks or the carrying of semi-automatic weapons in public.

Currently having a weekend break in Brisbane. There are rental scooters everywhere so they must be legal in Queensland.

They are legal in Brisbane…under a perpetual trial Having lived in Brisbane, it isn’t something which is missed…riders leaving the scooters in inconsiderate locations such as blocking footpaths, in front yards, on traffic islands etc, as well as the risk of being hit by a inexperienced rider having fun seeing what the scooter will do. They have had a number of issues since the ‘trial’ began.

3 Likes