Electric Lift, Recliner, & Massage Chairs

The following information on massage therapy is provided on the Australian Govt, Health Direct web site.
https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/massage-therapy

One point distinguishes between a massage as simply something that makes you feel good (relaxation) and a massage intended to target a particular pain/complaint/medical condition.

There is also advice encouraging one to see a doctor for reliable assessment and recommendations before seeking remedies. These can include targeted remedial massage.

For several personal conditions physiotherapists have successfully combined massage, physical aids and prescribed exercises. For two medical imaging was necessary to assess whether there was also physical damage. One ok and one not so ok outcome.

For general relaxation how do massage chairs (obviously very convenient in the home especially if it is just you) compare with a spa with water jets, a dip in the pool, or for those who have the option a little one to one? :wink: What ever some may be thinking, even the physio at our mum’s aged care facility includes massage therapy as part of the support. Massage chairs don’t feature, unless you bring your own.

2 Likes

We have both. Very different experiences, both quite satisfying in their own way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are the therapeutic recliner lift chairs from Revitalife recommended by the NDIS?

4 Likes

Welcome @monsie

They state they have a provider number so yes they would be an approved provider under NDIS, whether they receive a recommendation by NDIS is not known.

You are better asking whether other users of these types of chairs would recommend them. I don’t use theirs so I can’t comment on their usability, comfort, value for money (cost comparison, quality of materials etc) or options available.

Reading through this topic should give you some good insight in what you should expect from a chair and possible alternatives.

4 Likes

Welcome Monsie.

The NDIS do NOT recommend any product or service. It is up to the recipients to select what is best for them within the constraints of their funding.
You are probably aware that an Occupational Therapist report is required to be provided to the NDIA justifying why that (any) particular chair is required. Once the NDIA approve the purchase it can be bought assuming the client has the funds.

7 Likes

@monsie I suggest you also read the following topic on the company that might shed some light on suitability or not being suitable as a provider:

4 Likes

I tried a massage chair today while at Costco.
Partner and I both experienced some relief just using the chair for 10 mins.
Interested in people’s experience of chairs in range $4000-7000 range

3 Likes

Hi @Redcarbella and welcome to the community. Thank you also for your first contribution.

I have no experience and $4000-7000 is a lot of money.

The first questions I would ask is how many hours of professional massage could I get for the same money…and would a professional massager service be better than a massage chair?

3 Likes

We have an entry level chair (from Costco years ago). It was the only one that would fit through the interior doors :frowning:

It was rougher than the up-scale models and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles.

Some days I’ll spend an hour with it. Love it! Wish we could fit in ‘the biggie’! Go for it!

2 Likes

Booking, travelling? versus time and place utility makes it closer than you might imagine. A good shiatsu wins every day, but reclining at the moment, no travel and no scheduling. It is not just pure economics, or pure perfection, it is time and place utility.

5 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I pay $100 per session already for massage and $50 for chiro, both on 2 weekly rotation. I am chronic pain sufferer. Thinking of the chair to provide at home relief when I need it and hopefully preventative services.

5 Likes

The only features I consider totally frivolous are music and reading lights. It is difficult to get everything without something though. The modes of massage, the tactile feel of the rollers, the squeeze of the inflatables around arms and legs and sometimes head trying to simulate squeezes, vibrations here and there, foot rollers, heat - nirvana on demand at the moment.

Costco rarely sells anything ordinary or rubbish and they stand behind what they sell. The only caveat is to confirm the street prices for the product. Costco is usually less, sometimes amazingly so, but not always.

edit: As with any treatment, a masseur, physio, or a massage chair could exacerbate chronic pain so keep your eyes wide open to the possibility. I have some long term lower back and circulatory issues; my chair has been nothing but good for them.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your post into an existing thread which includes massage chairs.

Please have a read through the preceding posts as I am sure you will find a lot of relevant information and will save people repeating earlier responses.

2 Likes

Hi Phil
You were 100% RIGHT about the massage chair

Today I bought from Costco a Masseuse branded massage chair ($2500). My husband and I both have back problems.
Well, first use his back “ clicked” and he could walk easily again, no pain.
Not so for me, but I did use 2 cycles of gentle relaxation and felt knotted muscles relax. So, I was sceptical but your review rang true to me so I took the plunge and am grateful.

Anyone else wondering is it worth the money…YES do it

4 Likes

Thanks for closing the loop, and that it went so well.

3 Likes

I have done on home care predominantly aged clients and i remember seeing one gentleman that frequently used, a, stand up one and it had a, footrest. He was, still able to walk quite well but like a lot of elderly people difficult standing. As ypu guys mention they ade growing in popularity due to aged people. The only concern i would have is, if chairs have not been tested it could cause a accident. I only mean of the item is, faulty. I cannot comment on actual models available in shops or retailers.

1 Like

Mine has dementia so and he has one too.

2 Likes

Thinking of buying a massage chair, particularly the Homas model WF LK1 and would like readers opinion on this or any other massage chair. thans Alan

Hi @alan4, I merged your query into this existing topic that is broader, but has a post or two that might be interesting for you.

I would be interested in who honours the warranty in Australia, whether there are parts beyond the 1-year warranty, and if it is an in-home or back to base or product replacement warranty. Product replacement warranties often (not always) reflect products that are not serviceable or repairable so once the warranty and ACL ‘expires’ virtually any failure sends the carcass to the tip.

The few reviews on the net are positive, especially value for money. Based on the advertisements the low cost for the features list is almost worrisome :wink:

If you search this topic for massage chairs you will find a few salient comments of general nature that might help your decision making.

1 Like

My Mum swore by a back/neck massager she won at her chemist. It retailed at that time for about $350. She also had a $1500 job that then went into retirement.
A massage chair will not necessarily apply the massage where you want it so will be a waste of money. Just as well I didn’t buy an adjustable bed for this reason or they would have had it back long ago.
Think of getting some type of massager that sits on a chair and can be moved to cover the area you want massaged. She also had a recliner / lift chair. https://www.pridemobility.com.au/power-lift-recliners It had two motors so so the foot and back moved indepently. This is an excellent feature. Width was the thing our retailer stressed also. Not too wide. Good luck
This is a bit like the massager she had but there are lots around. Beurer MG254 Shiatsu Massage Seat Cover | JB Hi-Fi

1 Like