Editing Window

For a fairly long time one could edit a new post within a 5 minute window without the edit history and edited flag appearing. Recently this seems to be a no more than a 2 or 3 minute window, the exact time being unknown.

FWIW I am unable to notice all my ‘errors and omissions’ in the split left right editing windows presentation, and only notice them when they go to the ‘full screen posted comment’.

The time window to edit without the edit function in the background might have been a localised setting that got changed during the last Discourse upgrade or done purposefully, but regardless a minimum 5 or even 10 minutes window to fix up a new post without the editing history and flag being added is requested.

9 Likes

I always type my posts in Word and paste them to the website, but even after reading them at least once for typos and grammar errors before pasting them, it is amazing how easy it is to miss some mistakes.

6 Likes

I find the same…when using a tablet (due to screen size and eye sight) …but have no such issues when using a desktop.

6 Likes

I suspected it had tightened somewhat, though never tested the specific timings …

You are mistaken - they don’t appear until you commit the post. I have witnessed this many times after extensive proof reading! The evil happens in the shift from the split screen editing to the normal view - those responsible bank on you not noticing their evil deeds …

:wink:

see they took out my smiley - QED I say !!

5 Likes

I recently posted a picture that had more information in the file name than I intended, so I sought to replace the file. Unfortunately, over several edits it appeared that the picture had been cached and so even when I changed the name locally and then uploaded it the original file name remained once the comment containing it was posted.

Eventually I deleted and replaced the entire post - and trimmed the file somewhat to make clear to the website that it was different.

6 Likes

I can confirm that the current settings are 300 seconds or five minutes to re-edit your post without the flag/post history displaying. Considering the comments here, I’ve ammended it to 10 minutes to give us a bit extra time when needed.

6 Likes

There are many characters here, all thankful :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Ah ha… that’s because once your thoughts have converted to the digital world, they’re there forever! Muuahahaha!

7 Likes

More true than probably any of us really know.

4 Likes

Unless you yourself actually need them later - sometimes then they seem impossible to find !! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Put a price tag on them and they will follow you around for life :wink:

3 Likes

FWIW I just posted, and immediately fixed a sentence. This is what Discourse did, including flagging it as edited at 1 minute on.

edit: did another post and another quick edit, and it worked as expected - no edit flag.

3 Likes

Maybe the feature is a bit buggy. Thanks for the report :+1:

3 Likes

Much later

I often have edits made within the first minute after posting flagged as edited, and edits made at 9 minutes not flagged. It is random whether it works as advertised (10 minutes grace) or not. it is indeed buggy, and remains so.

5 Likes

9 months later, after a period when the ‘edit flag’ was generally well behaved in its supposed ‘10 minutes window of freedom’, it is once again biting regularly in the first 1 or 2 minutes but seemingly less so as one gets closer to the 10 minute mark. Not a scientific observation, but buggy the feature remains re time.

I have also noticed a few edited posts whereby the old and new are identical but it is still flagged as having been edited with unchanged words being highlighted as the edit.

2 Likes

Argh. ‘Edited’ while correcting a typo at 7 minutes.

1 Like

Discourse’s timer is on a roll.

1 Like

The updated site continues its randy ways flagging quickly done edits.

3 Likes

Our site settings are still set to a 10 minute grace period, so it must be a bug. Thanks for flagging the error

3 Likes

This weekend Discourse was gone to its uber-enthusiastic ways whereby it has flagged almost every edit I made, most within 1~3 minutes.

I need to change the way I ‘work’ since Discourse seems what it is, and its timer is non-deterministic augmented by a race condition, or so I guess.

3 Likes