EBAY 30 day resolution period

I bought an item on EBAY and after the now normal 6 week delivery from China and waited another week to realize I hadn’t received my purchase. I filled out the enquiry form to the seller saying no delivery etc. A day later I received a message from seller they had reposted with up to 6 week delivery again. Ebay messaged to say they were also watching it. 30 days later I received a message from EBAY to say case was all closed as I hadn’t contacted them yet so must be Happy!. Well delivery was 6 weeks and only 4 or so had gone so I was stilling waiting, now as case is closed by EBAY all my details of the purchase have been wiped from MY EBAY so I can’t even comment on the non delivery. Funny how alot of delivery times got longer with this 30 day resolution period came about. So now I’ve had to write off that purchase and money as a loss but I made sure I told all my relatives ,friends and workmates what happened and now look for local sellers first.

3 Likes

PayPal used to have a longer settlement period. If you paid that way, you might still be able to get a refund through them. I’ve done it in the past, but it was a while back.

3 Likes

The paypal dispute period is 180 calendar days.

That is an old tactic. A few unscrupulous sellers have adopted that strategy. It is most common with items sent untracked since there is no proof or evidence either way, and especially with some Asian sellers with low priced goods who are not inclined to replace a purchase that is bad or gone missing, and they know every way to string customers along to exceed dispute periods, if they were ever posted in the first place. Most are honest in my experience, but the cadres of ebay merchants are like any other collection of humans from religiously honest to politician dodgy and all in between.

Ebay has a balancing act to protect buyers (from dodgy sellers) as well as sellers (from dodgy buyers), but paypal is only a payments system so their policies and priorities differ.

When having a problem with an ebay or other merchant paid via paypal, the first rule is to timely lodge a dispute and actively keep the dispute open. Since most ebay purchases are settled by paypal, open a paypal dispute because paypal seems to be far more responsive to resolving disputes than ebay these days.

3 Likes