Easy Meals and Snacks reviews

Funny you should mention that pork, i am making a Coles list for next week and that went on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was at Coles today and I asked the young lady who was scanning the ready meals.

She had been having problems as Coles is updating the range including the Madras Curry.

The remaining stock was dated 29.05.2020 & 31.05.2020 so there will probably be some more good markdowns in the next few days.

This is what the package looks like.

It seems to be removed from the Coles website, and wonder if the price reflects the end of a product run and selling remainder off cheaply.

So it may be get it while it lasts.

I have seen them but not been tempted to buy
I might just do now that based on your recommendations. It might be a easy and quick meal (not the cheapest though
but cost effective if one includes one’s time to prepare the meat oneself).

1 Like

Expectation? - image Reality? - image
Maybe it has been discontinued because it looks like it has already been eaten?

3 Likes

Yes. It and some other meals had been removed from the website and the young lady said that they were being replaced with the new range.

No, The price was still the normal $7.50 prior to use-by-date mark downs.

Hopefully the new version has an acceptable amount of larger pieces of beef.

Apart from the beef, it was great and it even had a couple of curry leaves in it.

1 Like

I have never seen or eaten Madras curries that looked like the “Expectation” image.

They have always looked like the “Reality?” image.

1 Like

I think the point might be that the packaging gives one impression of what is inside, but the reality is vastly diffrrent

4 Likes

Perhaps a Choice team taste test. Trip to Chennai in Southern India or should we plan for Sheffield England to get the authentic version?

The pack shot is certainly inspiring.

For now, with the latest in travel restrictions eased, lunch with the neighbours in BrisVegas might be just as effective a solution. Prepared by someone who knows the first as home. :yum: BYO yogurt.

Easy meal? Only when someone else has done the cooking.

I just had a Dineamic Chicken & Chorizo Paella meal for lunch which I bought marked down at Coles.

Despite Coles having stocked Dineamic meals for some weeks, they are not on their website so I have posted the link to Dineamic’s website.

It was fairly mediocre but the most surprising thing was that I could not fing the pack size until I finally spotted the weight at the top of the Nutrional Information panel. The name and the weight are both on the Coles receipt

Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the heated meal as it would be a great entry for Pack Shots.

I won’t buy this one again.

3 Likes

I bought one two weeks ago (different variety). Same conclusion.

3 Likes

I picked up a couple of Coles Kitchen Thai Green Curry & Rice meals and had the second one for lunch today.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/earlville/product/coles-asian-thai-green-chicken-curry-with-rice

Absolutely delicious. As good as many Thai takeaway ones. And the best part was they were marked down from $6.50 to a mere 97 cents each.

1 Like

I picked up a marked down pack of Dineamic Moroccan Beef Meatballs With Sweet Potato & Broccoli at Coles this morning and ate it for lunch.

Absolutely awful. The meatballs were dry and revolting. The sauce was awful. The 2 small pieces of broccoli were half raw. The sweet potato was completely bland.

The photos on the linked item should also be a good contender for the Pack Shots topic as shown by their image of the pack and the much nicer image of it on a plate, although my meal looked far worse in the pack both before and after heating.

It will be the last Dineamic product that I ever purchase.

I had to link to the item on Dineamic’s website as Coles has managed to have all Dineamic products disappear off their website in their usual inimtiable style.

4 Likes

I bought a half price pack of Coles One Pot Lamb Rogan Josh in June and popped it in the freezer before cooking it for dinner last night.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/earlville/product/coles-one-pot-lamb-rogan-josh

Absolutely delicious and as good as a takeaway from an Indian restaurant with large chunks of lean lamb and a fantastic sauce.

It was amusing that the back of the pack had 2 recipies with some variations and a note advising that "Cooking temperatures and times are provided as a guide. Appliances will vary between brands.

Not quite sure how that applies to boiling and simmering a pot on a stove top.

1 Like

Woolworths Cook Roast Beef and Gravy has gone off. I noticed a size reduction last time I had it, and the most recent was size reduced and 30% gristle which was inedible. Pity. I really liked it. It was good for a single for 2 meals, or a couple for one. I won’t be buying again.

Likewise Herbert Adams pies. Used to have big chunks of meat. Not recently.

All pre-prepared meals, it seems, are fabulous when first released, then gradually decrease in size and quality. I wonder if the companies producing them ever think about the possibility that its this which makes people stop buying

ON the other hand, easy asian tucker can be had with small pots of 5Tastes curry paste (a few different varieties available) some meat and veg which you need to cook yourself, and a small pot of microwaveable basmati rice. Usually ends up making enough for two meals. I can’t deal with anything too spicy so I usually add some coconut cream as well.

My favourite

3 Likes

Did you take it back?

They should not only have replaced it, if you even wanted another one, but also have refunded your money.

4 Likes

I agree. Woolworths provides a product satisfaction guarantee with their own labelled products and they would have provided a refund if the uneaten portion returned to store.

Returning such products hopefully also gives them feedback on the product and so that they improve long term quality. If such feedback isn’t given, their supplier of the product will think that customers are willing to accept the inferior product they slip through to potentially save a few cents.

3 Likes

Nope. Did not buy in person and the nearest Woolworths is further than i want to go at the moment. I made a meal of the edible parts

2 Likes

This one is a favourite here. Absolutely perfect for nights when we come home late after after-school activities. It does take only 5 minutes, throw in some baby spinach which is always im the fridge and microwave a few pappadums and it’s good to go. Passes the kid test. Ingredients list is exactly the same as the much longer cooking “from scratch” tarka daal recipe I use.
The Hyderabad Biryani was delicious too - made vego with pumpkin and cauliflower, but takes a bit longer.
About $6.50 at my IGA, a bit cheaper at coles or woolies. On the pricier side for an “easy meal” I suppose, but when you plate it up it doesn’t look, taste or feel like an easy meal.

https://www.thespicetailor.co.uk/classic-lentil-tarka-daal

3 Likes

As @Fred123 and @phb responded, you should have taken it back and gotten a refund. We had a similarly inedible one that was about 30% a chunk of fat, and did so, no pushback from Woolies at all. However we have yet to get a free one and a refund :frowning:

As you opined, since they brought in the ‘new’ version it is not nearly so good as the old, nor is consistent.

We got a bad box from Coles, Some are great and some are beyond apology. Inconsistent. Coles is not always as forthcoming with ‘quality refunds’ but the manufacturers have usually send gift cards for more than the value of their product.

Depending on the what and when we minimally take photos, and sometimes will bag and freeze the bad product to take in if they want it. They never have at either shop, yet.

We did have a product from originaljuicecompany that was [possibly bad or possible just our taste] undrinkable; Coles declined to refund, the company ignored our email, but a facebook query to Coles got the refund.

4 Likes

Did Woollies refuse to provide both to you or did they simply overlook doing so?