Easy clean coatings for shower screens and tiles

Hi
I have read reviews of coating for shower screens and tiles, there seem to be 3 on the market, Eziclean, Endurosheild and Nano 4, and the reviews are mixed and generally seem to relate to the do it yourself versions. Has anyone had experience of these products as we are renovating our ensuite, and my least favourite job is cleaning the shower.

Edwina

5 Likes

Hi Edwina,

I have used Rain-X ( an automotive product for vehicle glass ) on our shower screen in the past, and it worked well at reducing the build up of soap scum. However, applying it was always a bit time-consuming, and in the end, I decided weekly cleaning of the glass ( and tiles ) was just as easy.

If renovating, I recommend avoiding as many joints as possible. If you are having tiles, choose the largest you can. I’m a big fan of the modular bathrooms that are common in Japan - they have really large, continuous, flat surfaces that are very easy to clean.

7 Likes

Thanks Scott, i hate grout too, but the maximum tile size for our small en-suite, we have been told, is 600x300. I was thinking of a professional application, I think we have some coating on our balcony balustrade because I never need to clean the glass.

2 Likes

Tiling is not the only solution for showers and bathrooms. You can use a water proof panel material rather than tile. Some are a resin based composite, others are similar to laminex as used on kitchen bench tops. Zero grout and smooth surfaces to clean.

As Scott suggests Japan does bathrooms as a panelled package. You can do the same with showers in Australia. Between your local plumbing bathroom supplier and laminex there are choices that minimise jointing and thus mould prone lines.

3 Likes

I have found an excellent product for keeping my shower soap scum free. It is called Method Daily Shower. You spray it on after shower, once a day and it keeps glass and walls very clean. Have used it for approx 18 months. Occasionally I use an old toothbrush to clean a few crevices around the door and waste hole to remove grime. No scrubbing any more. Product blurb says it has been made from natural ingredients and smells nice. I am guessing that it leaves a coating on surfaces to prevent soap sticking. Their other products are quite good too. I do not have tiles in my shower, only glass and smooth surface. I would never have tiles in shower recess again as grout eventually deteriorates over time.

2 Likes

It’s great that you have found a product that works for you.
Looking at the ingredients list.

It appears similar to many other cleaning products.

Perhaps it is the use daily immediately after showering that is the secret? It’s what one of our house proud family members does, tiles and all using a regular cleaning product.

P.S.

Possibly not completely reliable. I think the manufacturer’s product web site says ‘ naturally derived shower cleaner that leaves a refreshing eucalyptus mint scent’. They also have a guide to the source of each ingredient pre processing and chemistry. Palm oil is one listed for those interested.

2 Likes

We have found that using a liquid body wash, soap scum buildup on tiles is a distant memory. The only thing needed is mould control from time to time. It has saved us heaps of time and money (not having to buy products to selectively remove soap buildup).

3 Likes

How do you know they don’t have a grove of sodium laureth sulphate trees?

Naturally derived applies to anything if you go back far enough in the synthesis chain. There is no product that this doesn’t apply to, so it is entirely meaningless.

4 Likes

No, but we’ve an abundance of Alphitonia excelsa. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions, sadly I agree that grout does not age well. I am sure daily cleaning would be very effective, but I’m not that disciplined. Interesting about the liquid body wash, we plan to transition from soap to a liquid in the new shower, definitely worth a try as coatings can be applied at anytime, according to their blurb and may be a last ditch solution.

4 Likes

Our grout is 22 years on and looking pretty good. A few years back we discovered Olympic Clean, aka Kickass Cleaner at markets, and it made grout cleaning fairly benign work as well as effective. We spray it on and take a long handled grout brush to it every few months. Our alternative would be a very expensive reno since it is all ‘old school’ square tiles floor to ceiling in the ensuite as well as the master. The showers are large walk-in with 5/8 height tiled walls separating the wet area from the main room.

Our only regular ‘maintenance’ is to wipe the wet shower walls with a chamois cloth after use. We also exclusively use body washes, not soaps.

3 Likes

Hi

Try using a mild clear car polish. It cleans off all the soap scum and also waterproofs. It only needs to be redone when the soap scum starts to reappear.

Also, grout waterproofing products are available from hardware stores. We have one that has a small brush applicator built in, and you just run that down the grout lines where it gets wet.

5 Likes

After spending the last few days on my knees scrubbing with a toothbrush and various products the grout around my bathroom floor tiles (Yes, isolation is doing strange things to me :wink:) I think it would be a good idea to get maybe a grout sealer or do waterproofing?

4 Likes

To be truthful, I am am not sure how long it lasts. Abrasives will remove the coating, so using the car polish, abrasive cleaners, or scourers, etc, will remove it.

4 Likes

We renovated our main bathroom almost 5 years ago and we have large shower with a frameless door and glass wall. I researched all the easy clean coatings at the time and in the end purchased Nanokote from Reece, about $90. I applied it exactly as described in the instructions to both the glass and the ceramic tiles before the shower was used, I remember it being quite time consuming.
Now I feel it was completely worth it as the shower still looks new in spite of daily use by the whole family. I do have a rule that the last person has to use a squeegee to remove the excess water and we only use liquid soaps/cleansers. Once a week I clean with a citrus based cleaner and microfibre cloth as recommended by Nanokote. Some of the white grout has slight discolouration if you look carefully.

4 Likes