Dyson V11 Pro special on 22/6/19 @ Sydney Food and Wine

Using my credit card I purchased a Dyson V11 absolute Pro at the Sydney Food and Wine Festival on 22 June, 2019. I was told it would be delivered to me on Wednesday (yesterday) and that I’d be kept informed of the tracking by the company. The first email I received 3:06pm that day stated: “Sorry, we couldn’t complete your order -because there seems to be an issue processing your payment “. At 3:09 The second email was a confirmation of my order.
The amount of $999:20 was instantly pending on my credit card statement AND is still pending today as I write this. I cannot contact Dyson on the phone as they are unavailable to take my call. Very disappointing in the response from this supposedly reputable company. Has anyone received their vacuum purchased at this time, or had the same response as I’ve had. Thanks in anticipation of reading your experiences with this company. I imagine that this ‘Show special’ was too successful, but we should still be put on a waiting list for when more are available.

3 Likes

We have received absolutely outstanding service from Dyson in regard to the supply of parts for our Dyson DC59 Animal stick vac…

They are one of the best companies for customer service in Australia.

1 Like

Thank you Fred. I also posted on Dysons Facebook page and they’ve asked me to PM them which I have done. My guess is they were so inundated with sales that they just do not have the product to supply. It was an excellent special and I even had to wait in a queue to pay for mine. My concern is why they are refusing to take phone calls, all that is required is an email explaining the situation.

3 Likes

Please let us know how you go sorting it out @LorraineRose.

3 Likes

I’ve had many texts back and forth to Dyson. My bank maintains that the money is there for Dyson (it is still pending as I write this). Dyson maintain that the payment has been cancelled on the back end of their payment system. They have offered me the exact same deal as I signed up to at the show but want a direct deposit into their bank account. I’m reticent to do this as I have no comeback if the vacuum doesn’t arrive, whereas I do if my mastercard is used. They say they are unable to process the payment as the original payment was declined. My bank suggested and this was my belief as well, that I ask them to put a new transaction through again using my credit card details. Friday afternoon their message stated that as my original payment was cancelled on the back end of their payment system it would most likely happen again if they use my credit card and again suggested the direct deposit. My reply was that I wanted them to duplicate my original order and resubmit my credit card details so that I could be a happy customer. This was also the suggestion of the bank. To Dysons credit they do keep replying to me. Their reply at the end of the day, as well as apologising for what happened, was that if their payment system rejects a credit card it will most likely reject it again if you try using it multiple times. Then said bearing this in mind, if I’m willing to take the risk of potentially having double the amount on pending authorisation they can arrange for their team to reprocess the order. As it is now the weekend I’m undecided what to do. I have no comeback if the vacuum doesn’t arrive if I pay directly into their bank account. I’m also going away in a week so the only way I can get the vacuum, (I desperately need one and this price was unbeatable) is to directly deposit the money, but I’d have to ascertain that they do have one in stock. Any suggestions? I can’t believe that I am the only one in this situation, also the fact that they were not answering their phone make me suspicious. Yes I was ringing the correct number and I tried them many times over a two day period. Funny enough I still want their vacuum cleaner at the price I signed up for.

2 Likes

Dyson, along with Weber, is one of the very few companies in Australia that I would be prepared to trust implicitily.

As long as you ensure that you have suitable arrangements to ensure it is safely received and not left outside your door if you are not at home whereby it could be stolen, I do not see any other problem

They do have a strange payment processing system as we experienced when we returned an unneeded part for a refund earlier this year, and when we had not seen the credit on our credit card some weeks later, we queried Dyson who stated it had been refunded.

The credit had appeared on our account with the same date that the debit had appeared some weeks earlier, and we had not looked that far back for it as we expected the credit would be dated after Dyson had received the return.

As long as you do everything correctly on your part, I would be amazed if you end up with a problem as market-leading customer service companies such as Dyson do not want do blemish their outstanding reputations.

2 Likes

This is not necessarily the case and possibly would only occur if you had not contacted your bank to advise them of the transaction. The bank should/hopefully has included them as an approved creditor on your account.

We had a similar experience with booking airfare a year or so ago…the bank declined the transaction and we were advised of this by the booking agent…we contacted the bank who said that since the payment was to an international account and it appeared that we were in Australia, the transaction had been halted and eventually declined (their anti-fraud system flagged the transaction). Once we spoke to the bank they said to try again and this time it should so through. We contacted the online booking agent who honoured the original privce of the airfares and processed the payment while we waited in the phone. l they could see the payment/transaction went through immediately.

When you contacted the bank, did you ask if a second transaction from Dyson/business would go through or if you would have the same problem? I wonder if the business your sre making the payment to is foreign or has been subject of fraudulent payments in the past. They should be able to add the business as an approved payer against you account to prevent it occurring again. Then a second credit card transaction should go through no problems at all.

I would slso be very reluctant to make a direct debit to their account as you are right, it could be impossible to get the money back should the goods not be delivered or there is a problem (such as the wrong banking details being used for the transaction). Also, the company at the food and wine festival may not be Dyson but a selling agent for Dyson in Australia.

Maybe check with your bank that the second transaction will go through no problems…then contact the Dyson seller and advise this is the case and to reprocess the payment for the vaccuum.

2 Likes

Many thanks for your comments and input. Yes the bank official thoroughly looked at everything including the bank records and also read through of all the texts between Dyson and myself. He cannot see any reason why a new transaction with my credit card would be rejected. I’ll ring the bank tomorrow to ensure there is nothing they can do to help assist my card being accepted this time, then contact Dyson, in writing to set this in process again. I’ll post on here tomorrow night how I get on.

6 Likes

Update: I sent Dyson a text yesterday at 10:25am informing them that my 3rd conversation with the Bank had confirmed that there was no reason at all at their end for my card to be declined again, particularly as the pending amount had disappeared. The bank suggested that Dyson try again and I also mentioned as you suggested, that they add their business as an approved payer against my account to prevent their system rejecting my card again. I requested that they try again and also wanted assurance that they did have the exact vacuum in stock and also that it would be delivered before we go away next week. I hadn’t heard from them so at 12:59pm I rang their number and waited patiently online for my call to be answered. While talking to them on the phone, the person I’d been texting also tried to ring 3 times, then sent a text. I was informed that another transaction would probably also be declined and then remain as pending, but I insisted that we tried while I was still on the phone with them. Yes it was rejected and then again I was offered the direct deposit method which I reluctantly did while the operator was still on the phone. I was told this is the method they use when credit cards are rejected.They also couldn’t process my debit credit card or my keycard. I received confirmation of the order this afternoon and am now waiting on tracking advice. It obviously hasn’t left Dyson yet. Will update finally once I have the vacuum cleaner. Thanks for your interest and advice.

6 Likes

Hopefully this is the end of it @LorraineRose. Should you have any issues at any point in time, you will still be covered under the Australian Consumer Law despite the change in payment method if that helps.

4 Likes

Thank you Brendan for that information. I was expecting the item to be despatched yesterday, but I still haven’t received notification of it being despatched. I’ll contact them via text at midday if I still haven’t heard. That way I have a record of all the transactions between them and myself and nothing can be disputed.

6 Likes

This is a very good practice. It is sometimes always better to communicate in writing when issues arise so that records of discussions can’t be disputed.

Even it one does a live online chat (which many websites have), it is best to take screenshots of the online conversation especially of the chat software downs’t allow downloading/saving of the discussion. I have used such records in the past and lucky I have saved them.

4 Likes

Hi PHB. Yes I always keep screen shots during online chats as well. Well my Dyson V11 Absolute Pro arrived today, but the (free) Free standing charging dock is yet to arrive.

6 Likes

Congrats on getting the machine at least…How long will the dock take now to dock at your house will be the question. Hopefully it won’t be that long but be sure to remind them of the missing parts. Persistence sometimes/almost always is unfortunately required these days to get what you should have expected without the added work.

3 Likes

I have had the experience where a card was declined. I immediately rang my bank to see why. There was no record of any attempt to process the charge in the bank’s systems. The transaction was apparently blocked at the ‘get go’ by the 3rd party processing company who operated behind the figurative curtains and could not be contacted by anyone but their merchant customers.

The merchant did not ring their processing company but at my behest tried again, and the same immediate rejection happened again. The merchant apologised and added it has ‘happened before’. I used a different card without a problem. Apparently it was so simple as the 3rd party connection timed out or the connection was refused for some reason at the issuer and the 3rd party system recorded the timeout/connection refused as a rejection not a ‘retry required’ event, and stored that rejection that stopped subsequent attempts to charge that card in their concept of ‘security’.

When things work they work, but when they go wrong they can and do. When something is broken most of us tend to worry about what we did wrong, not that ‘it’ must be broken. And so we go.

3 Likes